Derby County v Middlesbrough

Mafiabob

Just wathed some SSN footage from last night, the ex WHU player seems to have watched the game and its always good to see an independent ponit of view of the game, as I sometimes come away from the game with different view point.

He reckoned it was hard on Boro to come away with just a point as he thought it was a good away performance until the final minutes.

On us, Derby had lots of possession, but doing nothing with it, Boro let them pass it around at the back, you know sometimes teams do need to mix it up and get the ball forward much quicker especially with some one like Martin who can cause problems, they get in the box and get a goal from it.....

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shackell, Keogh and Thorne had more than 100 touches each - the latter had 120. 

All three, and Baird, all touched the ball more than double the amount of Boro's highest recording player. I find that staggering. 

What I find just as staggering is what we did with it. I don't know if it's tactical or what... I just don't get it. 

The movement from the front free just looks laboured. I don't, and won't, blame them too much because they're busting their ******** to get a touch of the ball. I believe it's the system that's letting us down. 

Last season I would have said Antonio would have been a bad signing for us, after these three, well four, games, I don't think there's a player in the Championship we need more. 

There's no space, there's no invention in the final third. 

The positivity is purely defensive - I think there's good balance and options. Keogh was excellent. 

missing hughes, hendrick, bryson and hanson contributed? Especially Hughes. Remember when he went off at half time vs Forest last season? 

PistoldPete2

Just wathed some SSN footage from last night, the ex WHU player seems to have watched the game and its always good to see an independent ponit of view of the game, as I sometimes come away from the game with different view point.

He reckoned it was hard on Boro to come away with just a point as he thought it was a good away performance until the final minutes.

On us, Derby had lots of possession, but doing nothing with it, Boro let them pass it around at the back, you know sometimes teams do need to mix it up and get the ball forward much quicker especially with some one like Martin who can cause problems, they get in the box and get a goal from it.....

well I thought boro were lucky to be ahead at HT, but in second half didn't look like we would equalise until the very end... On balance tho a draw a fair result, if anything we had the best shots on target. 

League regulations state captain and the person in charge of the team on the day. So it must be Clement and Baird

can you show me in that text where it has to be manager and captain? I.E doesn't mean it has to be them...

On an aside... You'll probably find officials quite relaxed as to who would bring it in....

I've got access to a opta database so just looked on there.

Thorne - 124
Shackell - 107
Keogh  - 104
Baird - 103
Warnock - 95
Lansbury - 95

Worth noting, Keogh only lost possession five times. 

We had nearly 200 more touches - 828 - than any other team on the night. 

Only two teams lost the ball less than us on the night, both of which had a lot less touches than us. 

We had 237 more accurate passes - 568 - than any other team on the night. That's an unbelievable stat. Middlesbrough managed just 226 accurate passes, for a reference. 

194 forward passes - the fourth highest in the league. 101 backward passes - comfortably the most in the division. 

The most final third passes in the division on the night - 177 - Middlesbrough the least - 84. 

It is quite amazing. Yet some people are arguing they controlled the game. They didn't, they did well to stop us from penetrating their back line, but as much of the lack of there was on us. In the first 15 minutes Boro were like a Sunday League side against us. They couldn't get a look in. All in all it's very positive. People have been asking if Clement is up to the job and it's quite clear he is. We have everything we need in all areas of the pitch except the final third now. Got to be willing to take that risk in and around their box. 

We improved from Saturday. Good performance in all and although the injuries are dissapointing I think we looked better with Ince inside. Not once did he try to take his man on out on the wing.

Togetherness of the team was more evident and Shackell (amongst others) is getting used to where players are by default so looked more comfortable on the ball. We look so much more solid at the back.

Thorne's passing was off but their players still couldn't get the ball off him unless he passed it to them.

I'm 50/50 on the LB selection. Thought Warnock had a steady game and got stuck in. I'd be happy if he started the same back four on Friday. Keogh looks fresh and more relaxed.

Steady improvement game by game. We'll turn someone over soon and get a massive boost of confidence from it.

To all you moaners who are no doubt writing how great Boro were - we're two point behind them after three games. Hardly anything to be concerned with at this early stage.

Sith Happens

Heard a lot of people on way back saying it was absolute rubbish, back to the drawing board, clements not up to it.

Thought we did ok, they are a very organised team, some of the football we played was good. Sure the goals will come - stay positive

Also i feel pretty pleased with the progress since Pompey. fast moving of the ball and defence looking assured all good. GK v commanding. Emergence of Hanson.

Last night  first half good performance against a v difficult opponent. Second half had to change personnel and formation and still got a point. . Bodes well for defo.

For some (incl my mate) its black and white. No win means we played *****. I can be more objective and look at the bigger picture. Tactically we look solid enough. Defence looks comfortable. Martin needs the ball to stick more which will enable wingers to push on but 0verall im well satisfied .

I make no bones that Boro will be top 3. A gritty point is a step up from SM. 3 pts Friday and its a decent start.

Must have been watching a different game to you guys then.

Second half particularly we looked clueless on the ball, often you'd see Thorne struggling to pick out a pass and stray ones to the wide men going out for a throw ins.

Warnock was poor as per usual, haven't got a scooby why Forsyth isn't playing there. Whereas Martin looks a shadow of his former self, contributed very little again last night.

I've not been Keoghs biggest fan in recent times, but he was one of the only players to pick out a forward pass and get stuck in from the get go whilst everyone else looked nervous on the ball and reluctant to have any forward movement.

shotton didn't do "that" bad either when brought on

Weimann looks bang average  considering he's played at a higher level for the vast majority of his career too.

Must have been watching a different game to you guys then.

Second half particularly we looked clueless on the ball, often you'd see Thorne struggling to pick out a pass and stray ones to the wide men going out for a throw ins.

Warnock was poor as per usual, haven't got a scooby why Forsyth isn't playing there. Whereas Martin looks a shadow of his former self, contributed very little again last night.

I've not been Keoghs biggest fan in recent times, but he was one of the only players to pick out a forward pass and get stuck in from the get go whilst everyone else looked nervous on the ball and reluctant to have any forward movement.

shotton didn't do "that" bad either when brought on

Weimann looks bang average  considering he's played at a higher level for the vast majority of his career too.

God you must be very fun to be around.

We were playing against a very organised team with no mobility in the middle in the second half with Thorne and Baird in midfield. This is the best defence in the league last year and it is clear to see why.

We played very well in the first half, passed the ball around well until a goal completely against the run of play (their only chance might I add) set us back a bit. Then we get two injuries to our two center mids who connect the midfield and attack which facilitates a change in formation.

Why are people so negative? The goals will come and the defence looks very good.

Didn't get to see with my own eyes but from what the sounds of the commentary it was crap and we were lucky to get a point.  The repeated phrases were "no service into Martin's feet", "too comfortable for Boro", "another long ball" & "poor touch again".  Reminded me of listening to the first season of Nigel's rein again.

Saying that, I guess it's a positive if you can get a point from a promotion rival whilst playing crap and picking up two more injuries.  I get the feeling once we get a win everyone will relax a bit...

God you must be very fun to be around.

We were playing against a very organised team with no mobility in the middle in the second half with Thorne and Baird in midfield. This is the best defence in the league last year and it is clear to see why.

We played very well in the first half, passed the ball around well until a goal completely against the run of play (their only chance might I add) set us back a bit. Then we get two injuries to our two center mids who connect the midfield and attack which facilitates a change in formation.

Why are people so negative? The goals will come and the defence looks very good.

We played decent for the first 15 (when the crowd was going) and then we dropped off. Where/when did we pass the ball around well, other than the usual passes amongst the back line? Everyone kept giving it to Thorne (notably in the second half) in hope he'd pick someone out - even he was getting frustrated as the lack of options and started making misjudged passes.

Its ok saying the opposition are the best this and that in the league, how many times have I read about us having the supposed "best attacking options in the league"? Gibson wasn't even fully fit for them.

And the goal wasn't Boros only chance at all..? I remember Fabbrini and Kike in the second half having decent  efforts. 

Also i feel pretty pleased with the progress since Pompey. fast moving of the ball and defence looking assured all good. GK v commanding. Emergence of Hanson.

Last night  first half good performance against a v difficult opponent. Second half had to change personnel and formation and still got a point. . Bodes well for defo.

Really could not disagree with that any more if I tried!

I thought the passing was very slow and laboured, highlighted by the amount of passes made by our defence.

Thought we defended well and never really looked like conceding but on the other flip of the coin it looked like we had run out of ideas going forward and the goal came from a hopeful punt into the box.

can you show me in that text where it has to be manager and captain? I.E doesn't mean it has to be them...

On an aside... You'll probably find officials quite relaxed as to who would bring it in....

so the phrase the captain and person in charge of the team MUST... Doesn't mean they have to? And the person in charge is the manager unless he's serving a ban isn't it?

My take on it:

Carson: 6. Nothing to do.

Warnock: 7. Good passing and defending, and a couple of good crosses. I think Clement wants Warnock in games against strong sides, and that's fine by me. Let Friend through in the run-up to the goal, but it was gutsy play from Friend and the goal was fortuitous to say the least.

Shackell: 7. Commanding and solid. Couple of misplaced long passes towards the end when we were pushing.

Keogh: 8. Has looked great in both home games and barely put a foot wrong. Relieving him of his captaincy could prove a masterstroke.

Baird: 6. Kept things ticking without being outstanding in any way.

Thorne: 8. Completely dominant once more and the glue of the side. Misplaced passes late on but was understandably tired. Please don't break, George.

Hendrick: 5. After a bright 10 minutes, faded quickly before his injury. Lacking conviction. His development has stuttered quite worryingly.

Hanson: 6. Neat and tidy before going off. A couple of very nice pieces of skill combining with Martin show promise. Good vision at times, also. The closest player we have to Hughes in this squad and I'm unsure why he's billed as a DM.

Weimann: 4. All but useless in a wide role. To his credit, controlled a couple of awkward balls well near the touchline, but contributed extremely little to overall play.

Martin: 8. After a poor display against Charlton, he had his touch back. Crucial for getting the ball up the pitch and won a number of free kicks.

Ince: 4. Perhaps his worst performance in a Derby shirt. No impact. Outmuscled and with a loose first touch. Shoulders slumped throughout the second half. Needs some TLC or something to get his mojo back.

Subs:

Shotton: 8. After a couple of misplaced short passes when he first came on, really grew into the game and had perhaps his best game in a Derby shirt. Some great driven balls to the forwards. I'm one of his detractors but there's no denying he's looked better under Clement.

Russell: 7. A big upgrade on Weimann's contribution. Terrified Middlesbrough (drawing 2 or 3 players to him whenever he had the ball) and finished his chance well. Still hitting too many balls against defenders but that's Russell.

Bent: 5. Little impact but won an aerial battle well and pushed Middlesbrough further back. Highlight, though, was a jump nowhere near a long ball, presumably learnt from Sammon.

Overall: A pleasing, incremental improvement against a very, very good defence. Middlesbrough will win a lot of away games playing like that.

Archived