Derby County v Middlesbrough

Mafiabob

so the phrase the captain and person in charge of the team MUST... Doesn't mean they have to? And the person in charge is the manager unless he's serving a ban isn't it?

Can you show me what IE means? 

Im not trying to be clever etc.... Obviously someone MUST give the officials the teamsheet! 

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't get to see with my own eyes but from what the sounds of the commentary it was crap and we were lucky to get a point.  The repeated phrases were "no service into Martin's feet", "too comfortable for Boro", "another long ball" & "poor touch again".  Reminded me of listening to the first season of Nigel's rein again.

Saying that, I guess it's a positive if you can get a point from a promotion rival whilst playing crap and picking up two more injuries.  I get the feeling once we get a win everyone will relax a bit...

My dad was saying the same things. But especially the bolded point.

We seem to have gone from relying on Martin too much, to now barely using him at all in the build up.

What Boro were doing well was sticking three men on any of the 'danger men' (Ince/Martin/Weimann) as soon as they were in possession of the ball. Then the ball comes back to Thorne, Baird, Shackell, Keogh. Rinse, and repeat.

Russell fared a little better, seemed to me to be the only one willing to get in behind, which led to a good 3 or 4 corners - one we so nearly scored from but for some excellent keeping.

As soon as Bent came on, there was a bit more joy - with 4 attackers going forward, we stretched them and they couldn't afford to have 2 or 3 on any of Bent, Russell, Ince and Martin.

Didn't get to see with my own eyes but from what the sounds of the commentary it was crap and we were lucky to get a point.  The repeated phrases were "no service into Martin's feet", "too comfortable for Boro", "another long ball" & "poor touch again".  Reminded me of listening to the first season of Nigel's rein again.

Saying that, I guess it's a positive if you can get a point from a promotion rival whilst playing crap and picking up two more injuries.  I get the feeling once we get a win everyone will relax a bit...

You don't want to believe everything those two on the commentary say. The Middlesbrough defensive were knackered at the end of the game, and as their manager said, they couldn't play the way they wanted to because they couldn't get the ball off a good team.

The facts are that Derby played a very patient game, they passed the ball around (as the stats prove), the Boro keeper made 3 excellent saves and twice Derby players had the ball caught in their feet in front of goals. The Boro defenders did play very well and a few times managed to toe the ball away as a shot was being lined up.

Not a perfect display which was always going to be the case when two midfield players are missing for much of the game. Martin in particular suffered from that as supporting midfield players were not coming through to receive the ball off him.

My only real criticism is that a few times they did try to put the ball over the top into wide areas (Baird in particular) and over-hit it each time.

They will play this patient passing game this season, working the ball upfield and keeping possession, personally, I love it, I do understand that the "gerrit forward" brigade won't like it - but tough on them. :)

so the phrase the captain and person in charge of the team MUST... Doesn't mean they have to? And the person in charge is the manager unless he's serving a ban isn't it?

Dav, if you look at Alex Ferguson's team sheets, Googled them as they were easier to find. Compare the handwriting from his first ever to the last game there is a huge difference. Now this is a guess but the first will be his handwriting, the last a member of staff. Whilst Fergie may have to hand it in, doesn't mean he wrote it and to be fair you wouldn't think to check it either, not like a member of staff will try and screw you over.

article-2326592-19DEDA05000005DC-544_634x838.jpg

PA_SALE-ManUtd-115884_6397123.jpg

Dav, if you look at Alex Ferguson's team sheets, Googled them as they were easier to find. Compare the handwriting from his first ever to the last game there is a huge difference. Now this is a guess but the first will be his handwriting, the last a member of staff. Whilst Fergie may have to hand it in, doesn't mean he wrote it and to be fair you wouldn't think to check it either, not like a member of staff will try and screw you over.

its not very professional if you don't check something your handing over.

Didn't watch the game as I'm away but once again it seems to me that we have the majority of the ball but the passing is slower because players don't know instinctively where their team mates will be or the kind of runs we're going to make, making us slower and more cautious on the ball.

Could that have anything to do with having new players and getting used to a new system? Surely not! That would be daft.

My post-match thoughts..

Carson - 6. Didn't have a save to make, save for Boro's goal, but let some very close ones go past without blinking. One in each half made me hold my breath, and question why he didn't seem that bothered by either!

Baird - 5. His poorest game in a Derby shirt so far. Friend went past him far too easily for the Boro goal. Too slow at moving the ball forward (could aim this at a fair few Derby players)

Keogh - 8. Looks a different player without the captaincy, and for me, MOTM. At times, the only player with a sense of urgency

Shackell - 7. Not much to say. Solid. Partnership with Keogh looking strong - and consistent. Something we sorely missed last season. Thought he was going to deck Stuani in the latter stages.

Warnock - 7. Best game in a Derby shirt. Got stuck in, in the right way this time. My only complaint was that he just doesn't offer as much as Forsyth going forward. Albert who?

Thorne - 6.5. Not his best. Passing wayward, in stark contrast to Saturday. Unnecessarily booked, again. Feel like we could miss him through suspension too much this season - 3 yellows already.

Hendrick - 5. Another average game. He seriously needs to step up, but with his competition injured, seems unlikely he will. Wasteful in possession, doesn't do enough out of it. Good shot on target redeems him a little.

Hanson - 6.5. Busy, on the wrong end of a vicious challenge from Friend. On another day, Friend might well have seen red. Shame he had to be substitued, but concussion rules are there for a reason, believe this means we won't see him vs. Brum?

Ince - 7. Unlucky not to score after a free kick well saved by Konstantopolous. Put another good shift in defensively too. Tried his damnedest to make something happen.

Weimann - 6. Chased a lot of lost causes, but as a few Villa fans said, I don't feel winger is his position. Didn't get much supply other than some hopeful long balls.

Martin - 6. Not much supply again. Targeted by Boro, marked out of the game. We aren't getting players close enough to him for him to be effective. Gone from over-reliance, to not featuring him at all.

Subs:

Russell - 7. Looked to get in behind, linked up well with Warnock. Delighted for him to get the goal, perfect antidote for the performance he put in against Charlton.

Shotton - 7. Offered more than Baird going forward, but looked a little shaky defensively.

Bent - 6. Not enough time to really have an impact in the game. Maybe a little credit for the goal by taking a defender away with him, giving the space for Russell to finish.

Officials - 5.5. Another poor refereeing performance. Thorne booked needlessly, but Boro player went unpunished for near enough the same thing. Why the hell did they stop play for when Fabbrini took himself out? Friend lucky to stay on the pitch too, in my opinion. Another ref, another day, that could have been red.

ie the manager or assistant manager is giving examples of who would be considered in charge.

that is correct, examples... It can be somebody else too... That's what I'm trying to drive at!

To be fair I don't think we played that bad. 1st 15 minutes was brilliant to see until they scored. Typical Derby fans we don't sing then hardly till we scored.. We've gone from the best support to one of the worse IMO.

Moaning has came back was brilliant to hear again... To be fair i kind of had a feeling we would score and said before the game I'd be happy with a point. Just wish we stop giving it away but must be hard with 3-4 people in front of you! To be fair to Thorne he gave it away a LOT but he kept wanting the ball still (Some occasions had no choice).

All in all I'm not worried 3 points from 3 games I expected more but the two home games have given me hope. It's going to take time and we are getting better 15 games in then see where we are at.

P.S. Forsyth was the right decision IMO. Warnock is better defending and Forsyth attacking. Problem is Forsyth attacking was poor the last game I actually face palmed my self to oblivion with his crosses was like sunday league but worse..

Forsyth was one of the best crossers of the ball when he 1st came with a few assists.. Not sure what happened.

First goals against defensive-minded teams are so important. How often have you seen a defensive-minded team scorfrom pretty much nothing and then just sit on it for the rest of the game?

Boro are very much the Championship's Chelsea in that regard. They won't come up against as many teams as good as Derby from an attacking sense, so you'd imagine they will earn plenty of points through narrow away wins this season.

I haven't seen the game so can't comment. But I won't buy into this 'we completely dominated them, we had all the possession' etc. Because tat's exactly how Boro wanted to play.

If we had scored first, who knows, they would have had to go for it and the game could have ended up 4-4 from rather 1-1. 

We used to dominate teams at home with Nigel Clough in charge. I vividly remember losing at home to Brighton 1-0 one game where they literally scored with their only shot early on and just sat on it for the rest of the game.

I'd like to see how we do when we go 1-0 up. I think Paul Clement's mentality will really come to light then.

Was talking about this earlier. We need to score first in games, ideally early. That's when our possession football will hurt teams. 

Managers dont have to hand it over in the Prem

Different rules in the Premiership

At least 75 minutes before the time fixed for the kick-off of a League Match, a senior member

of the coaching staff and the first team captain of each participating Club shall attend a

briefing with the referee and hand to him and their opponents a team sheet[/quote] so in that it is any senior member of coching staff not the person in charge of the team.[/quote]

that is correct, examples... It can be somebody else too... That's what I'm trying to drive at!

Only if they are  "THE person in charge of the team for the day". Unless the Head coach isn't in charge of the team then he has to hand it in.

The Premiership states "Any senior member of coaching staff" which means in the prem it isnt the manager that has to do it.

Only if they are  "THE person in charge of the team for the day". Unless the Head coach isn't in charge of the team then he has to hand it in.

The Premiership states "Any senior member of coaching staff" which means in the prem it isnt the manager that has to do it.

Paul Simpson / Eric Steele used to be the ones who handed the team sheet in.

Does it really matter?

Im honestly not trying to wind you up... The person in charge of the team can be anyone... That's why IE... Could be anyone... Apologies for being pedantic... 

Im pretty sure officials are pretty "relaxed" on who brings it in anyway as they would see and get to know how clubs operate numerous times over a season....

My dad was saying the same things. But especially the bolded point.

We seem to have gone from relying on Martin too much, to now barely using him at all in the build up.

What Boro were doing well was sticking three men on any of the 'danger men' (Ince/Martin/Weimann) as soon as they were in possession of the ball. Then the ball comes back to Thorne, Baird, Shackell, Keogh. Rinse, and repeat.

Russell fared a little better, seemed to me to be the only one willing to get in behind, which led to a good 3 or 4 corners - one we so nearly scored from but for some excellent keeping.

As soon as Bent came on, there was a bit more joy - with 4 attackers going forward, we stretched them and they couldn't afford to have 2 or 3 on any of Bent, Russell, Ince and Martin.

it reminded me more of the end of last season and those games the year before when teams just played two banks of four and we tried to break them down with a patient game. We had some chances and their keeper made three great saves. Irs how it will be at home this season when teams are happy with a draw. It will only be different when teams who need a win come to town and have to attack us.

Archived