Derby County v Middlesbrough

Mafiabob

I know there is a view from the outside thread but thought I'd post a few comments in here from the Boro forum in light of the negativity that is being slowly drowned out as more leave the game and come online. 

If we can't beat Derby in their current circumstances we are not as good a side as I thought :/

still it just sounded like we played really poor second half so probably a draw was a fair result

A bit of perspective.. a point away at Derby on a tues night isn't a bad result.. and sounds like a fair result from the commentary. Onwards and upwards!

It is a shame though that our second half was a bit flat again. We should have pushed on more.  [Sad]

Still. 1 point away from home is good from a derby team that will be up there at the end.

Countless other posts saying what a great point that was, how they would have taken a point before the game and it was one of their toughest games they'll play all season.

http://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=7593&page=68

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not read the thread. Here's my summary

1) found it hard against a team that parked the bus - again

2) Hendrick was off it until he got injured

3) passing was too slow at times

4) Warnock and Shotton were not brilliant but not awful either. Cant remember serious errors but a few missed passes, dodgey crosses a piece

5) would have preferred Dawkins instead of Shotton and leave Baird at RB

6) Hanson looked okay until the injury.

7) if I was to describe Weimmans performance to someone the word 'nearly' would be used a lot. He nearly got on the end of passes, he nearly controlled the ball, he nearly made a tackle - but he managed to kick their player pointlessly and block Hendrick in the box

my ratings

Carson = 6

Baird = 7

Warnock = 6

Shackell = 7

Keogh = 7

Hanson. = 6

Hendrick = 5

Thorne = 7

Weimann = 4

Martin = 6

Ince = 6

Shottin = 6

Russell = 6

Bent = 5

Just now leaving a meeting in Raleigh and heading back home so missed the game via radio. What is your breakdown of how we looked mate overall?

We started brightly and straight away gained territory. We looked comfortable and Boro looked rattled. Things fell apart with Hendrick too many times. Flat footed, day dreaming and marking Weimann (who gave us no width on the left. Think it was Hendrick that forced a good save. 

Boro scored from nowhere really. That settled them though and with the nerves settled they were typically solid. It took the sting out of Derby and when they were on top they came close a couple of times. As did Ince with a fk towards the end of the half as Derby started getting back into it.

The first half was pretty even. 1-0 seemed fair enough. 

Second half Boro put total faith in seeing the game out. In the first half they had a man on Thorne within seconds. In the 2nd half they pulled off him a little bit. Derby tried everything to unlock them. Using the whole pitch but there was no way through. Closest was from a corner. Boro on the counter had one break in particular that came close but as a footballing contest it was game over. 

It was defence vs attack. 

Derby ran out of ideas. Started playing slower and slower as you sensed the belief started to fade. When Boro did get the ball though Derby swarmed them. We couldn't get the ball into dangerous players. 

Then a long ball unlocked them. 

So yeah, Boro were solid until they weren't.  And Derby were solid too.

Their keeper made a couple of good saves. Carson had very little to do as Boro's closest efforts were off target. 

We probably came close to scoring 2 or 3 each. But other than that it was a great defensive performance against a team bossing the ball. 

There was no clearly better side. Boro look rock solid and Derby looked like the only way they could lose by passing the ball past Carson. Both sides did what they're apparently good at and 1-1 is fair.

The only reason Boro might feel hard done by is how late the goal was. Derby knocked on the door all night and it was when we'd started to give up that we scored. That's all that seems unfair about it. The result was fair. 

Bayern and Barca were much better than Chelsea yet chelsea won the champions league in 2012. One lapse of concentration by Kalas cost Boro all 3 points. Besides that they were comfortable

If they were that good why would they let that even be a possibility? A team that has to sit on a 1 goal lead to give themselves a chance of a win is clearly not a far better team than their opposition. If they were they would not take such a risk.. as you say, 1 lapse of concentration and they concede an equaliser.

He probably didn't mean it literally. He is probably trying to say that a first choice boro 11 is better than a first choice derby 11 and he is right, that;s not even up for debate.

You really are weird.

If they were that good why would they let that even be a possibility? A team that has to sit on a 1 goal lead to give themselves a chance of a win is clearly not a far better team than their opposition. If they were they would not take such a risk.. as you say, 1 lapse of concentration and they concede an equaliser.

You really are weird.

This is got to be a wind up. Do you believe that our starting 11 is better than boro's? I certainly don't, what's weird about believing that?

Our defensive performance was very good especially Keogh but it's our attacking football which is concerning me

So we weren't awful in every regard then! Not many teams would break down Boro if they were missing the likes of Hughes, Bryson and Hendricks would they? 

We played crap the moment the crowd went dead after 15 minutes, before that we was in complete control. 

Whod have taken a point before kick off? I certainly would.

I'd have taken a point tonight, especially under the circumstances.

It's just a shame it comes after two games where I wouldn't really have settled for one point out of three.

Three from nine.

Can't understand how everyone is moaning on here we look far more solid as a unit then last season when we were shipping goals for fun but that's not good enough we need to be keeping a clean sheet and putting cricket scores past the opposition jeez

This is got to be a wind up. Do you believe that our starting 11 is better than boro's? I certainly don't, what's weird about believing that?

I think you are disappointed kid :-) Have a nice glass of milk and it will all look better in the morning.

So only one moment of a lapse of concentration stopped them getting all 3 pts. 

What stopped us getting all 3pts? Were they entitled to their goal? 

The way people are talking it's like they think we have just played an inferior opponent. They're as good as us. You know that. They're renowned for being extremely tight without the ball

So why are people surprised they were hard to break down? 

Their defence was good enough to handle us. As our attack was good enough to keep them routed. 

Anyone expecting Boro to crumble or Derby to slice through them clearly knows too little about one of the two teams.

Boro managed 42 passes in our 3rd tonight. But let's ignore that

The players are due credit for keeping going til they got a goal which never really looked likely.

Boro will be kicking themselves having kept Derby comfortably at bay for an entire half where they looked largely uninterested in attacking but looked incredibly solid defensively.

I am concerned that we don't look like a team and I can't see a discernible game plan. For all that attacking talent we are disjointed and not particularly dangerous. Injuries might not be helping but you can't say we looked worse without Hendrick and Hanson on the pitch.

Shacks and Keogh look a good partnership though. 

In all it was a good point from an uninspiring performance. 

PistoldPete2

Too much possession and not creating enough chances.borough looking def looking the team to beat this season with an excellent away performance good result for us all considered

well if boro are the team to beat , drawing against them isn't at all bad especially given the midfield injury situation. I also thought we were better against them than either game last year, three quality saves by their keeper... I don't think Carson had a save to make did he?

Such a difficult game to make any sense of, from a critical point of view.

- We lost 2 more midfielders in the first 40mins.

- They're really well organised. Not just parking the bus. But closing us down.

- Very frustrating at times in the way we couldn't get the ball forward.

- A mixed bag of performances from all concerned.

- I'm not seeing a £4m + player in Ince at the moment. For that kind of money, you'd hope he could at least look like he could change the game.

-Their keeper made a few good saves.

- Special mention to Keogh and Shotton.

Those boys get so much stick, but tonight they did very little wrong and a fair few things right.

- Wouldve started with Forsyth.

But what is done is done.

Think we all Wouldve taken a point before kick off.

Lets move on to Brum.

Archived