Derby County v Middlesbrough

Mafiabob

Would you swap Clement for Nigel Clough if the deal was on the table? 

Genuine question - everyone has their own opinion on both. 

You already know the answer there. I'd be lying if I didn't answer the way you expect.

I'd swap a Guardiola/Mourinho dream team double act for Nigel. I love the way he tries to buil a club from the bottom up and doesn't spend his way to short term success.

I'm aware I'm in a very small minority of maybe a dozen people in the world, Nigel, Nigel's wife, Bing, Simon and Matt Brown being at least five of the other 11 :-)

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I can guarantee your wrong... Doesn't have to be the manager at all... Assistant manager, player liaison officer (yes there's someone employed at teams with this "title") 

As a ex ref on Saturday afternoons... I  remember physios etc bringing it in. Will admit rules were probably a tad more relaxed...

Also I imagine the officials would be relaxed with whoever brings the teamsheet in.... Feel free to read any referees autobiography... Or contact Jeff Winter or Malk Halsey on Twitter...

One things for sure the manager doesn't have to be the one who hands the teamsheet in....

I'll check it and let you know.

What level did you referee at Mafia? Was that the professional game? or semi pro?

I'll admit football has changed a lot since I was last in a dressing room.

As always I'll be happy to come back if and when I'm wrong.

As I said before, I think Thorne was being forced/pressured to try and make things happen that probably weren't on due to the forwards not moving enough and the opposition sitting very deep. In the absence of Hughes, Hansen and Hendrick he ended up trying to do a bit too much as well as his defensive duties and being man marked for large parts of the game. 

Not his best game (he did misplace a few through tiredness second half I think) but did ok under the circumstances he found himself in.

Also (again, as I've said previously) thought he looked a bit frustrated at times with those in front of him...

I'll check it and let you know.

What level did you referee at Mafia? Was that the professional game? or semi pro?

I'll admit football has changed a lot since I was last in a dressing room.

As always I'll be happy to come back if and when I'm wrong.

Yeah I was Class 1 by age of 20.... All changed nowadays though with levels etc...

Was on senior list of Midlands Regional Alliance... Basically reserve sides of Alfreton Town, Ilkeston, Mickleover Sports etc.... 

Was on the line twice in FA Cup matches...

Women's Premier League (Ilkeston were good then)

FA Youth Academy Leagues... Used to do Chesterfields academy a lot... Playing against Newcastle, Doncaster mostly northern teams...

Many a youth cup final at Moorways...

I did say I was incredibly worried about getting the team sheet wrong, it's such a basic detail yet such an important part of football.

I really don't think that's something to worry about. I doubt giving the team sheet to a ref is one of a coaches pressing concerns before the game, it's a mere mind slip. We all have them at work, does that mean we're all under pressure and not cut out for the job we do?

I also doubt the referee would say "right well Chris Baird is here twice so you'll have to clone him and play two of him." 

Ah was it Friend? Need my eyes checking. 

I thought it was a pass too but just saw Clements interview. 

Martin could have done with more luck on his header. Looked like they're keeper lost it but got it back

Yeah, for all their star players like Downing and Adomah etc, I reckon it was Friend who caused us the most problems. Makes a nice change though, last season against teams like Boro we'd have just hoped Grant was on form or their strikers had an off day. This season our defence seem incredibly solid and restrict a team with so many talented players to just 2 shots on target. If we manage to stay this solid at the back and add our attacking form of last season to it, we should be up there

Good result imo. The stats seem to indicate that we deserved a draw and we were able to pull ourselves up and fight back against one of the strongest sides in the division.

Seems to me that we just need to be a little more clinical. If the system becomes familiar, Martin and Ince get back to his lethal best and the midfield stays fit, I think we will be a very good team indeed.

Yeah I was Class 1 by age of 20.... All changed nowadays though with levels etc...

Was on senior list of Midlands Regional Alliance... Basically reserve sides of Alfreton Town, Ilkeston, Mickleover Sports etc.... 

Was on the line twice in FA Cup matches...

Women's Premier League (Ilkeston were good then)

FA Youth Academy Leagues... Used to do Chesterfields academy a lot... Playing against Newcastle, Doncaster mostly northern teams...

Many a youth cup final at Moorways...

League regulations state captain and the person in charge of the team on the day. So it must be Clement and Baird

33.5 List of Players to be handed to Referee. The Captain accompanied by the person in charge of his team on the day (i.e. the Manager or Assistant Manager if present) must hand copies of a list of names of Players taking part in the game (including the name of the nominated substitute or substitutes) ('Team Sheet') to the Referee and a representative of the opponents in the presence of the Referee in his dressing room at least 60 (sixty) minutes before the advertised time of kick-off. The Team Sheet shall indicate the full names of Players and shall indicate the colour of the Goalkeeper’s shirt. 
Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section5.aspx#S56mX30T6U2ULUtH.99

[/quote]

it worries me not that he picked Baird twice. If you're gonna pick two of one player then surely you pick two thornes! 

No more leaving Johnny out and the sooner we give that captain band to shacks the better. Good to see Keogh shining but was disappointed not to see Fozzy the marauder not included.

will also add that we stuffed Charlton, and the other 2 games were totally disrupted by losing 2 midfielders early on and having to abandon plan A which really must have sent Clement for a loop, so cut him some slack.

Liked the sending on of super sub Bent but was surprised he didn't pull a defender and keep weimann on. It worked though and I think the JR goal will turn out to be a positive short term turning point in terms of team morale.

Clement is much more cautious than Mac which will probably make for less cavalier attacking but will prob see us get promoted.

it worries me not that he picked Baird twice. If you're gonna pick two of one player then surely you pick two thornes! 

No more leaving Johnny out and the sooner we give that captain band to shacks the better. Good to see Keogh shining but was disappointed not to see Fozzy the marauder not included.

will also add that we stuffed Charlton, and the other 2 games were totally disrupted by losing 2 midfielders early on and having to abandon plan A which really must have sent Clement for a loop, so cut him some slack.

Liked the sending on of super sub Bent but was surprised he didn't pull a defender and keep weimann on. It worked though and I think the JR goal will turn out to be a positive short term turning point in terms of team morale.

Clement is much more cautious than Mac which will probably make for less cavalier attacking but will prob see us get promoted.

can't blame Baird for their goal it's to ince's fault being lazy and not doubling up 

using 2 DM's seems a bit of a waste of a player to me so far, I'd sacrifice Hanson for another forward player to give us more bodies going forwards. 4-1-4-1?

i'd agree with that when we were 1-0 down.

it was crying out for  dawkins

............................Martin

weimann....dawkins.......ince.......russell

..........................thorne

Forsyth......shackell......keogh......baird 

unfortunately weimann and ince weren't great and fozzy was sat on the bench.

I can't believe there's not one person, not one fan who's mentioned the team sheet going in to the ref with Baird on it twice.  I checked whether it was genuine cos I really thought it had to be a wind up.. the answer i got was it's genuine.

i hadn't heard that......thats incredible.

PistoldPete2

Not a bad result. Could have been worse.

yes , and getting four good shots on target, 3 quality saves and 1 goal. That's four more than we managed in the two games last year. Still work in progress tho, laboured passing and the midfield injury position is just silly... Especially as Thorne is just about our only fit player and he's no stranger to injury. 

i hadn't heard that......thats incredible.

Not really, Van Gall did it recently I believe by putting a player in that he had sold during the previous transfer window, I just expect that these mistakes don't make headline news because in context they aren't.

Even the great Nigel often made a mistake on the team sheet, trying to pass Connor Sammon off as a footballer :-)

Be interesting to know what Thorne's pass completion was. I thought that his distribution was the worst that I'd seen it, especially in the second half.

have to agree , was his worst performance for us '6'  at best , but hey , we all have our off days .

onwards and upwards ..

So , with regard to the ballsed up team sheet , Clement is either psychic or schizophrenic

being unable to play Baird in defence or midfield , as it happens , he was right cos Chris 

ended up playing both positions . Top coaching , that imo ..

:)

Archived