The strategy for progress.

Mostyn6

Strategy...  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Developing a player in a few months is difficult. Buying a £1 million prospect saves time. He can still be developed just like the freebies. We need promotion this season in my opinion.splash it, you know that you want to Curtains. There are too many drawn games, you cannot just keep hanging in there so pull yourself together Curtains and splash the cash.There is no need to go off the rails about it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Developing a player in a few months is difficult. Buying a £1 million prospect saves time. He can still be developed just like the freebies. We need promotion this season in my opinion.splash it, you know that you want to Curtains. There are too many drawn games, you cannot just keep hanging in there so pull yourself together Curtains and splash the cash.There is no need to go off the rails about it.

There you go resort to sarcasm and insults. 

Lets see who we buy on Wednesday shall we the club know more than you. 

You clearly know nothing. 

We have the right caliber of playing staff here, we just need to get the best out of them, it did not help Clement being so cautious in the first 3 games.

Yes, Hughes out for 6 mths does not help, but we are not a one man team, we have to move on -Bryson out as well is a problem so we do need cover [loan?].

Defensively we are better than last year, but as an attacking force what has gone wrong?

I said in the pre season we needed to buy play maker in midfield more so now, somebody that can split a defence open with a pass, after all we have got Martin, Bent, Ince, Weimann and Russell - and we are struggling to win a game!

Que? I no nothing. I admit that my opinion may be fawlty but whoever we get on loan must have a cleese saying that we can buy him at the end of the season. I have the utmost respect for you Curtains. You are in the best few posters on here. I just like a bit of a joke, it is not intended as sarcasm, honestly.:)

a few people missing the point here. If the massive recruitment in the summer hasn't strengthened us, then recruiting players is obviously the wrong way to go. Instead of buying seven players, maybe we should've bought two or three. But some people want to buy more, well the reality is that there are NOT players like Will Hughes and Chris Martin out there, so every new player will be deemed as a lesser player, and the feeling will always be that we need new players to improve, It's a vicious and miserable circle.

People are forgetting what McClaren, SImpson and Steele did when they first arrived. They proved that the current crop could play better with better coaching. My opinion is that if this current coaching setup has anything about it, they should be able to get a lot out of the current squad.

Que? I no nothing. I admit that my opinion may be fawlty but whoever we get on loan must have a cleese saying that we can buy him at the end of the season. I have the utmost respect for you Curtains. You are in the best few posters on here. I just like a bit of a joke, it is not intended as sarcasm, honestly.:)

oh dear sorry .

Its my honest opinion that we need Bridcutt or his type and another goalscorer . 

Ive heard we are getting Bridcutt on Wednesday but I'm not ITK it's just what I was told. 

PS I am amazed at a 40 to 6 vote but the questions on the poll are nebulous 

a few people missing the point here. If the massive recruitment in the summer hasn't strengthened us, then recruiting players is obviously the wrong way to go. Instead of buying seven players, maybe we should've bought two or three. But some people want to buy more, well the reality is that there are NOT players like Will Hughes and Chris Martin out there, so every new player will be deemed as a lesser player, and the feeling will always be that we need new players to improve, It's a vicious and miserable circle.

People are forgetting what McClaren, SImpson and Steele did when they first arrived. They proved that the current crop could play better with better coaching. My opinion is that if this current coaching setup has anything about it, they should be able to get a lot out of the current squad.

can we stop saying we bought 7 players? I know we did but two of them was to keep continuity from last season not to strengthen.

Pearce added depth to CH, Shackell improved the starting line up

Carson added to the squad

Baird brought experience and veersatility, new captain

Weimann maintained the status quo replacing Ward.

6 of starting 11 yesterday played when Clough was here. Hanson was in youth setup. Hughes would have started. Thorne has always seemed great for team spirit.

For all his weaknesses (stubbornness) Clough was a top scout and a brilliant judge of ability and character. Such a shame he couldn't put it all into practice, think the modern game has changed too much for him, sad really. 

Loved him when he was at Derby, respect him even more now.

For all his weaknesses (stubbornness) Clough was a top scout and a brilliant judge of ability and character. Such a shame he couldn't put it all into practice, think the modern game has changed too much for him, sad really. 

Loved him when he was at Derby, respect him even more now.

Bit OTT sounds like a hagiography 

oh dear sorry .

Its my honest opinion that we need Bridcutt or his type and another goalscorer . 

Ive heard we are getting Bridcutt on Wednesday but I'm not ITK it's just what I was told. 

PS I am amazed at a 40 to 6 vote but the questions on the poll are nebulous 

I do not know enough about Bridcutt to comment really. i think that we need an old head, fairly tough Idiakez type and a cruncher in midfield. I agree that we need another central striker. One more fullback as well to complete the set. I said a few times that we had no cover for Hughes, but I was horrified when he got injured.

Not really, built a team of good lads on and off the pitch that have been improved and got us close to success twice. Doesn't get the credit he deserves in my opinion so voice it when I can :lol:

Not worshiping him, did say he had faults.

Do you owe him money lol

Clough recruited some very good players, who were happy at the time to take lower wages, in the case of Martin, to get his career back on track, in the case of Bryson, to prove himself in England, and Hughesey was still developing, so until he'd proved himself, he was also on a lower wage compared to his ability.

But Clough wasn't a very good manager of players, his tactics were poor, negative, he didn't trust his players to play the passing game. So we were mid-table, about the level of the wage bill, but our players were much better than that, so I'd put the Clough coaching effect at -5 to the squad's ability. 

McClaren came in, and while most people accept that he's not the best at recruiting players, he was able to get the best out of the inherited players, and got +10% difference from the squad than Clough did, in the meantime the wage bill rose to reflect the ability of the players,  so McClarens first season we exceeded our expectations in comparison to our wage bill, but it's very rare that that happens, and his second season we finished around where our wage bill dictated, although again for most of the season we over performed.

it'll be interesting to see what happens this season, our wage bill must now be top 5 for the division, so we would be right in expecting a high finish, but it's unreasonable to expect a new manager to come in and get promotion in such a competitive league in his first season.

Every summer you should always look to make new additions, regardless of who you are and what you have achieved the year before. Sir Alex Ferguson always bought new players, despite winning the league year on year.

That's how you create long-term success.

As for our situation. We have bought in seven new players, but not all seven new players fit the system. We are short because three of the seven were IMO pointless.

Do we need to buy more players? Yes, because we didn't go out and buy the necessary players this summer. Despite bringing in seven, we lack a LW in the mould of Ince on the right and CF like-for-like competition for Martin.

If I was the head of recruitment at Derby, we would have a stronger squad than the current one.

Every summer you should always look to make new additions, regardless of who you are and what you have achieved the year before. Sir Alex Ferguson always bought new players, despite winning the league year on year.

That's how you create long-term success.

As for our situation. We have bought in seven new players, but not all seven new players fit the system. We are short because three of the seven were IMO pointless.

Do we need to buy more players? Yes, because we didn't go out and buy the necessary players this summer. Despite bringing in seven, we lack a LW in the mould of Ince on the right and CF like-for-like competition for Martin.

If I was the head of recruitment at Derby, we would have a stronger squad than the current one.

Maybe they looked at competition for Martin, decided it would be more cost effective to play a different way if he's not available,  hence the players bought in don't fit 4-3-3 , but could be useful in a different formation, whilst still providing something different under the current one.

Archived