The strategy for progress.

Mostyn6

Strategy...  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People may have already noticed that I am totally against the continuous pursuit of replacement players. I was the same when Clough was manager, and when McClaren was manager. Basically, unless your players are playing at 7/10 or better, then my opinion is there is scope for the coaching to improve the performances. When the players are playing their best and it's still not good enough, that's when I believe you should start buying better players.

So where do you stand?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of both

if you are going to sign players then they have to better than what we've got.

losing hughes is a blow but its also an opportunity to buy a real top midfielder - not just more of the same

we could do with another winger too.

otherwise i would say that mel morris have made massive improvements on the back four.

I think the best teams are all about getting the blend right - 11 great players do not always make the best team. However, one canny buy can be the final piece of the jigsaw.

Specifically about our current situation, I want us to coach and blend what we've got, apart from a good loan to cover Will's absence, maybe. 

Clough built a good team and good spirit.

Schteve tweaked it, installed better tactics and kept the spirit.

Now I feel the spirit and identity has gone and we've taken the QPR soulless approach.

I don't have the same fondness for this team like I did during the Schteve era or the Clough era of finding a hidden gem.

Clough built a good team and good spirit.

Schteve tweaked it, installed better tactics and kept the spirit.

Now I feel the spirit and identity has gone and we've taken the QPR soulless approach.

I don't have the same fondness for this team like I did during the Schteve era or the Clough era of finding a hidden gem.

6 of starting 11 yesterday played when Clough was here. Hanson was in youth setup. Hughes would have started. Thorne has always seemed great for team spirit.

19 votes, 4 posters.  Does that mean 15 people are scared to speak their honest opinions?  Lol 

Just find the options are a bit clunky, a bit black and white. 

Both options are so absolute in their description and direction that the correct strategy inevitably falls between the two.

Interesting article by Hoddle in the dailyfail , was talking about chelsea but equally applies to a lot of teams who come to the ipro and "park the bus"

2B65B79300000578-0-image-m-4_14396674390

How to get round Jose's parked bus

Movement is the key to playing against such a defensive formation. 

And a lot depends on the full-backs and wingers working in tandem.

When your winger comes inside, the full-back has to be ready and in position to go a split second later to create the overlap.

I see too many Premier League teams where the winger comes in too early, when the full-back is nowhere near ready. You can stifle that easily.

Just a split-second after the winger goes inside, the full-back goes outside. It is a change of pace that can open up a team if the defenders are banking up.

Defenders can’t make a movement until the attacking player has made his. But if that movement is quick, that’s what opens teams up.

If the current players are not good enough, how can you coach them to get it right?

Not that I'm saying that is the case, but take the midfield for instance, we have lost Hughes and Bryson to injury, which limits our options and play.  I thought we played well yesterday, but needed a Bryson (on form) type player for those runs into the box.  Hanson played well, but for me was to similar in his play to Thorne,  and has his name been Omar, posters would have been questioning his effectiveness yesterday.  As I said I thought he did well, but needs to add an extra dimension to his game if he is going to be successful in that position, it will be interesting to see how he performs when he hasn't got time on the ball like he and Thorne had yesterday.

i don't buy into Dawkins being the answer, he has had his chances and as yet hasn't performed consistently enough to hold down a place.  Therefore, the only option we may have is to bring someone in, we can wait and hope it comes good, but then the season could be gone, and we are back into the old days of Nigel where we lose interest in January,

We also only see them for 90 minutes per week, the coaching staff see them for a lot longer during the week, if they think they have the potential I'm sure they would rather work with what they have got.

We live in a time where everyone seemingly expects instant results. Just look at Mourinho and his jibes at Wenger about having achieved nothing in 15 years. Wenger has trusted his coaching, never making wholesale changes just giving a player time and in doing this has kept his side constantly at the top end of the league. Has to be admired but how many fans are not happy about the like of trophies?

I believe this current squad needed refreshing. Two disappointing finishes to seasons may well have created a mental issue that needed sorting. Making Baird captain was an excellent choice by Clement but we needed the fresh faces too. There is that saying I dislike, evolution not revolution. I don't think there was much team spirit on display for the latter part of last season...

I can't vote as you need a balance of the two. Of course in some silly ideal world we'd have a group of clowns that Clement molds into world beaters with only a couple of signings here and there, a group of clowns we call our own. Sadly Hollywood has moved on from ***** football films.

Horrendously leading question. Nobody suggests 'keep buying players until things are right', you phrase the opposition  too negatively. Of course we want our players to improve with coaching but there needs to be at least one more addition in midfield.

Horrendously leading question. Nobody suggests 'keep buying players until things are right', you phrase the opposition  too negatively. Of course we want our players to improve with coaching but there needs to be at least one more addition in midfield.

Couldnt  agree more .

Choice should be

Strengthen the squad  where necessary but continue to improve the existing players at the club with coaching and improve the team play using tactics and watching the opposition and looking for weaknesses and setting the team up properly to adapt to this etc 

or 

Stagnate and stay in the second tier of English Football  .

Choice should be

Strengthen the squad  where necessary but continue to improve the existing players at the club with coaching and improve the team play using tactics and watching the opposition and looking for weaknesses and setting the team up properly to adapt to this etc 

or 

Stagnate and stay in the second tier of English Football  .

We have signed 2/3 of a team ffs! Nobody said NEVER invest in new players, but 3 games in, to think we need to ALREADY buy more new players is ridiculous IMO

We have signed 2/3 of a team ffs! Nobody said NEVER invest in new players, but 3 games in, to think we need to ALREADY buy more new players is ridiculous IMO

Keep buying players until things go right is too simplistic. 

You need to buy the right players as and when they come available to improve the team and squad. 

All teams can be improved personnel wise.  

Archived