Derby County v Charlton Athletic

Mafiabob

Found a great quote on the Charlton forum

"Derby look strong - genuinely think Richard Keogh is the best defender in the division. He can do it all."

Seems to be only Derby fans that don't rate Keogh

Clearly because the players voted him into the championship toty but he has looked improved when partnered with shackell at cb

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would compare keogh's situation with that of mark wright at derby.

mark wright was absolutely magnificent until we sold paul blades.

then we struggled to provide an adequate partner.

michael forsyth was moved to central defence and the whole thing was suddenly a shambles.

mark wright was all over the place trying to do his job and everyone else's.

same with keogh.

surround him with good players and he'll be very good.

surround him with players who are error prone and it causes him to try to race hither and thither trying to put out fires.

shackell is superb at holding his position. He doesn't go chasing silly balls like shotton does. He doesn't leave big holes in the back four. Keogh will be fine.

Conceded one freak goal in 180 minutes of league football. Good pairing. Looks like we'll look to concede less than the opposition rather than score more this season. 

fewer

(and you a teacher!)

Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one. But listening to some of the ones coming out of the ground, or on Radio Derby, there seemed to be a large number of people watching a different game to me.

Just because we have a coach from Real Madrid, does not mean we will turn into them over night.

Yes, on the face of it, the result was very disappointment. To not beat a pretty poor Charlton team who came looking for a draw is poor.

However, that was a much improved performance, looking closer to our best. 4-3-3 is quite obviously getting the best out of our players, and judging by Clement's comments, I think he thinks that too.

agreed with post but this made me laugh.

damned with faint praise....lol

i think george could play for anyone.

I do agree with you to an extent, that I think he has the potential if he stays fit to play for a top top team but hes what 22? I still think at this stage he would only be in an upper mid-table prem team if he had stayed fit much more. He does have a Michael Carrick esque quality about him, we are very lucky that he dropped down a level to us.

After Bolton and Portsmouth, the performance was everything - a huge improvement. I listened to his interview after the game and at no time did he say 'pleased with a point'. He said that he was pleased with the response, meaning the performance in general and the way the players came back after the setback of going a goal down.

he said that he would have been extremely disappointed to come away with nothing. That in my book means he was relieved to get a point. Yes a big improvement over the previous two games and one I hope continues. 

he said that he would have been extremely disappointed to come away with nothing. That in my book means he was relieved to get a point. Yes a big improvement over the previous two games and one I hope continues. 

There's quite a difference between somebody saying something, and somebody putting their own interpretation on a statement.

Bryson is the missing link here in this system , play the young boy Hanson beside Thorne , drop Hendrick and give Bryso the freedom to just keep making runs into the box as it will pull away defenders and leave more room for Ince Martin Russell Weimann 

Bryson is the missing link here in this system , play the young boy Hanson beside Thorne , drop Hendrick and give Bryso the freedom to just keep making runs into the box as it will pull away defenders and leave more room for Ince Martin Russell Weimann 

Agree with this. Bryson's movement will suit the way we played against Charlton more than Jeff's style.

There's quite a difference between somebody saying something, and somebody putting their own interpretation on a statement.

er no there's not unless the interpretation is ridiculously out. My interpretation wasn't. You read what you want in the statement and I'll read what I believe was meant 

Clearly because the players voted him into the championship toty but he has looked improved when partnered with shackell at cb

yes totally agree now keogh can concentrate on his game rather than spend all game trying to cover his partners just need both to stay fit and  the partnership will improve and will be one of the best in the league 

now let's get them shooting boots on and convert some of these attempts

Archived