Questions

leemark

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go with the clueless idiots already slating bent.

The guy hardly got given the ball so what do you expect from a poacher? 

This is a guy who has England caps and has scored a shed load of goals in the top flight.

At least judge the guy after he has some sort of service and lets be fair Martin was poor saturday and ineffective tonight yet because he is golden boy that goes a miss.

he'd of bagged that cross Ince put in if he was still on the pitch, he can happily do nothing for me for 90 minutes if 1 of those minutes he's putting it in the net

Two competitive games. One of which you lose 2 of your starting mids within 20 odd mins. The other a league cup game. Chill out. We'll see in a few more games. Man U got bummed by MK Dons last year.

whereas I can somewhat agree, the standard of performances must give you some cause for concern?

Portsmouth have also made plenty of signings this summer and also made changes from Saturday I believe yet they were far more on the ball (excuse the pun) tonight. Not pressing any panic buttons but I know where it is located.

Ive been around too long to start panicking at such an early stage of the season. Panic will kick in however if the current form continues for another 8 games then depression and wrist slashing starts

People complain about bents lack of touches yet all i can remember of Martin is a couple

Yep. Martin was just as anonymous. Which highlighted our lack of tempo, directness and quality in that match. Could have had Aguero up top and would have been the same. 

If you watch 60 seconds after Martin's arrival on the pitch you'll see him come short twice just to try and link up play.
More than Bent did all game and whilst I appreciate he isn't the same type of player as Martin, Bent really does need to get himself involved a bit more when the opposition are defending deep and defending well. Same as last year, if he's not scoring he's not doing anything productive!

Different kettle of fish Bent and Martin.. the latter suiting our players a lot more purely down to us playing a certain way for the past couple of years.

Bent's job is <should be> as impact sub when needed, pure poacher nothing else.

If we were going with 1 up top it needs to be martin. If martin's unavailable it's 3 from bent/russell/weiman and the diamond.

2 up with Martin needs to understand Martin isn't a target man battering ram and he can't run the channels but he can likne up and create for others, plus he paoches a bit off instinct.

Bananas. it'll come good.

Morning everyone. First time poster, but have wanted to say this about Darren Bent for a while. I didn't see the game last night, so this has nothing to do with his performance. I just don't think he fits into our best football side. We play our best when we have Martin up top and then three behind him.

Even when Bent was scoring goals at the end of last season, we didn't look anywhere near our best (obvious by where we finished). This is why I was surprised we signed him permanently.

Even so, I'm not glad we've been knocked out, but we've only got one focus now.

Whoever signed Bent needs to be shown the door.Is it correct that the keepers had more touches than him ?

Martin and Bent did so well last season because they got the ball into feet. They thrive off good service, when you play 25 long balls a game to the striker what do you expect of them?

Martin and Bent did so well last season because they got the ball into feet. They thrive off good service, when you play 25 long balls a game to the striker what do you expect of them?

There was a lot of hoof football to be fair. Kinda annoyed me as usually we play it on the ground we won a few flick ons but no one was near them.

Maybe it was due to no one being up there when we did get a chance for a cross we had no one in the box strikes me of a season or two back. The amount of times I seen us with only one or two in the box against 5-6 of theres worried me. Our best play is when we had 3-4 people in there and seemed to score a lot more I think that's how Bryson got so many goals kind of like Gerrard runs.

The most frustrating thing was the amount of times we tried to play the long ball, Baird was particularly guilty, I don't see at current what he adds to the team.

Got hammered for saying he's a journeyman .

Was just telling the truth as I saw it .

Hope he does a good job for us as Captain and RB .

The most frustrating thing was the amount of times we tried to play the long ball, Baird was particularly guilty, I don't see at current what he adds to the team.

The reason we are playing long balls is because of the massive gap between the midfield and the forwards.  Last season, we had Martin dropping off, Bryson/Hughes/Hendrick making runs up to and beyond the forwards, the fullbacks pushing on, wingers drifting in etc. Movement between the lines, basically. This season, the back 4 pick up the ball and pass it into midfield - at which point the midfielder can either pass it backwards, try and thread an inch perfect pass to a forward (who has 3 defenders on him) or punt it forward and hope.

Archived