Questions

leemark

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right, I'll say it. 

Players don't become useless overnight and if a player doesn't touch the ball, it isn't as bad as him having 100 rubbish touches (in terms of his performance).

Tonight was nothing to do with player ability, and anyone who thinks so has no understanding of football.

We were too narrow, too deep and our passing lack pace and conviction. 

thorne is the only one wwho passed like he meant it 

I suppose you would expect so if he has been made the influential figure? Genuinely always just assumed they did.

I would have made Shackell Captain as he's first on the team sheet every week for me and has done the job at Derby and Burnley before. 

Baird has the job so hey ho I would imagine he will be in the side most weeks now. 

Genuinely, I'm not all that concerned at the moment. There are warning signs, yes, but a slow start to the season was expected. What do you all think a slow start to the season looks like? We play really well but lose/draw to luck? No. A slow start to the season is playing like crap while the players acclimatise to each other and the coach. 

"Ah, but they've had all of pre-season!" you say, well that's good but doesn't really matter all that much. In Pre-season games our best players aren't marked out of games, or pressured relentlessly.

I admit (over TWO competitive games with completely different teams) Paul Clement's formations seem a little narrow and I haven't seen many positives from them (other than, defensively we genuinely look quite good, we conceded 2 goals, one a huge gaff by Lee Grant and the other a positional mistake by Pearce - also think Baird should have closed down the fella on the wing).

People keep writing analytics about why we're never going to succeed, after 2 games with 2 different teams. Maybe when we're 5 games in and still struggling I'll agree with you. Until then this is all expected. I understand it's underwhelming and frustrating but this start to the season was pitched by the realists (and to a worse degree the cynics).

My only genuine concern from the first two games is Tom Ince. In both games he's been in positions after cutting in where last season he'd shoot every time, but he hasn't had a shot from outside the area at all. Just passed it square across the box. I'm hoping that this is down to being pressured/marked out of the game, and that he'll get used to competitive pace again soon and I pray that he hasn't been told to shoot less. That "goal out of nothing" trait is what makes him valuable. He needs to start shooting more. 

Join the party, it's me. you and Bris 

Whatever you guys put in the punch, it's made you delirious. Bent more than proved his value last season. And we didn't even need to reflect that value in a transfer fee, as he was a free agent!

Got hammered for saying he's a journeyman .

Was just telling the truth as I saw it .

Hope he does a good job for us as Captain and RB .

Hmmm.

I don't remember the comment but wouldn't have hammered you. He looked "steady" last night in the sort of mould of Gareth Roberts.

he isn't going to bomb on down the flank and his passes from deep seem to be too high so they lollipop up and then float down with no pace on them maing them easy to defend.

If the captain job is to rev the players up (or try to) then that seemed to be mainly Shackell.

I do also think he kind of gave up on the runner when he got chipped for the move leading to their second. He kind of jogged insuide to nowhere in particular so was nowhere near closing down the crosss, nowhere near the destination of the cross and nowhere near the runner/scorer who nipped in and neatly side-footed it in.

Not a very effective overall performance from the skipper imho. But just one of many players last night.

Whatever you guys put in the punch, it's made you delirious. Bent more than proved his value last season. And we didn't even need to reflect that value in a transfer fee, as he was a free agent!

Is he playing well this pre and start of season? Does he fit in with our system(s)? 

Let's be honest, I couldn't give a hoot about the League cup unless it led to some entertainment, us beating a big side and a QF/SF appearance. We can focus purely on the league for now 

AND we are unbeaten in the league and haven't even conceded a goal yet! There, doesn't that make everything sound better?

Who have we signed that doesn't fit in with our system(s)?

Bent, arguably Weimann

Anyone else? 

It's not really a "new signing" though is it? Your point was that we shouldn't have signed Bent in the summer, which is fine if we'd signed him blind. But what I'm saying is it was a good signing based on how he performed last season, and I'd put him in the same category as Ince in terms of their impact in the 2nd half of the season. You're asking whether he fits into our system - well do any of our players, old and new? Clement has come in with a different philosophy, so by rights any player who was good for us before could now find themselves out of sorts. Has Martin really turned up yet, for example? Ince? I could go on, but I hope you understand my point. Bent did fit into our system under the old regime, and he might still yet - also, you had no idea what our 'system' is/was going to be when he signed in the summer. Your skepticism for signing Bent is unwarranted. And questions can't be asked about his ability as a player based on a couple of crappy team perfomances.

It's not really a "new signing" though is it? Your point was that we shouldn't have signed Bent in the summer, which is fine if we'd signed him blind. But what I'm saying is it was a good signing based on how he performed last season, and I'd put him in the same category as Ince in terms of their impact in the 2nd half of the season. You're asking whether he fits into our system - well do any of our players, old and new? Clement has come in with a different philosophy, so by rights any player who was good for us before could now find themselves out of sorts. Has Martin really turned up yet, for example? Ince? I could go on, but I hope you understand my point. Bent did fit into our system under the old regime, and he might still yet - also, you had no idea what our 'system' is/was going to be when he signed in the summer. Your skepticism for signing Bent is unwarranted. And questions can't be asked about his ability as a player based on a couple of crappy team perfomances.

That's the whole point. He didn't. He scored goals, but we went on a terrible run of results. 

But isn't that what a striker is brought in to do? Are you blaming Bent for our terrible run of results?

The failure to replace Eustace/Thorne and the replacement of Martin with Bent were the two main factors yes. Well in terms of player selection/acquisition.

Lack of leadership too. 

Archived