Questions

leemark

But isn't that what a striker is brought in to do? Are you blaming Bent for our terrible run of results?

Geniune question, but do you think Wayne Rooney would be a Manchester United player if he just stood there and waited for the ball? In fact, do you think any elite player would be at the very top by just waiting?

I don't know how it's come about, but a number of posters on here believe that a striker's only job is to score goals. 

Would you say a defenders only job is to clear the ball when it comes near him? And not to mark players, keep shape, pass out from the back, be an option in possession, move up with the team, cover runners etc.

If you expect a defender to do all of the jobs above, then why don't you expect a striker to contribute more than just kicking the ball at the opposition goal? 

A striker is like every other player. He's brought in to make the team better. Does Darren Bent make our team better? No, he doesn't. His inclusion hinders Chris Martin, Tom Ince and Jeff Hendrick for starters.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to blame individual players, lets start about 9 different threads.

Only Shackell, Russell, Thorne and Sswankambo came out the game with any credit. 

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Baird thread. He was shocking at DM. Constantly handing the ball back to them. 

So this season we spend, we take a chance on a manager who has a great CV, but lacks experience. Cannot remember when we signed up to writing the season off after 1 league and 1 cup game, do we have gumps dressed in Rams clothing, after all fawaz has shot enough of them.

Geniune question, but do you think Wayne Rooney would be a Manchester United player if he just stood there and waited for the ball? In fact, do you think any elite player would be at the very top by just waiting?

I don't know how it's come about, but a number of posters on here believe that a striker's only job is to score goals. 

Would you say a defenders only job is to clear the ball when it comes near him? And not to mark players, keep shape, pass out from the back, be an option in possession, move up with the team, cover runners etc.

If you expect a defender to do all of the jobs above, then why don't you expect a striker to contribute more than just kicking the ball at the opposition goal? 

A striker is like every other player. He's brought in to make the team better. Does Darren Bent make our team better? No, he doesn't. His inclusion hinders Chris Martin, Tom Ince and Jeff Hendrick for starters.

So you expect Bent to create his own chances then? Should he drop into midfield and do better with possession than say Hendrick, then do better with a pass than say Dawkins, then also be on the end of it?

Dimitar Berbatov.

Let's be honest, I couldn't give a hoot about the League cup unless it led to some entertainment, us beating a big side and a QF/SF appearance. We can focus purely on the league for now 

How do you get those entertaining games against big sides or those QF/SF appearances?

I think you get them by being professional, workmanlike even and going away to league 2 clubs and winning.

So you expect Bent to create his own chances then? Should he drop into midfield and do better with possession than say Hendrick, then do better with a pass than say Dawkins, then also be on the end of it?

I don't expect him to create his own chances, but it would be nice if it didn't look like we were playing with ten players until the ball is in the box.

That's Bent's problem. He's not an outlet. His movement outside the box isn't that great, so he's not creating space.

The moment Martin came on, we looked so much better. Other players were in space. Martin could come short. He could link up with other players.

That's the player we need in our team. If all Bent can do is just wait up top for a chance to fall his way and do absolutely nothing else, especially against League 2 quality, then he's not what we need at all.

I don't expect him to create his own chances, but it would be nice if it didn't look like we were playing with ten players until the ball is in the box.

That's Bent's problem. He's not an outlet. His movement outside the box isn't that great, so he's not creating space.

The moment Martin came on, we looked so much better. Other players were in space. Martin could come short. He could link up with other players.

That's the player we need in our team. If all Bent can do is just wait up top for a chance to fall his way and do absolutely nothing else, especially against League 2 quality, then he's not what we need at all.

We knew this was the case last year too. We became a much worse team is possession when he played. yes he scored, because that is what he does. But we couldn't control games and gave up far too much going the other way as a result.

Agreed, and did anyone else notice a couple of time early on, Bent did drop deep, the ball was played over him and he was remonstrating with whoever passed it, patting his chest, clearly demonstrating he wanted the ball played into him.

I'm not saying Bent is playing particularly well atm, but I don't really want him running around all over the pitch chasing the ball. I want him on the last shoulder and for the balls into him to be better.

Genuinely, I'm not all that concerned at the moment. There are warning signs, yes, but a slow start to the season was expected. What do you all think a slow start to the season looks like? We play really well but lose/draw to luck? No. A slow start to the season is playing like crap while the players acclimatise to each other and the coach. 

"Ah, but they've had all of pre-season!" you say, well that's good but doesn't really matter all that much. In Pre-season games our best players aren't marked out of games, or pressured relentlessly.

I admit (over TWO competitive games with completely different teams) Paul Clement's formations seem a little narrow and I haven't seen many positives from them (other than, defensively we genuinely look quite good, we conceded 2 goals, one a huge gaff by Lee Grant and the other a positional mistake by Pearce - also think Baird should have closed down the fella on the wing).

People keep writing analytics about why we're never going to succeed, after 2 games with 2 different teams. Maybe when we're 5 games in and still struggling I'll agree with you. Until then this is all expected. I understand it's underwhelming and frustrating but this start to the season was pitched by the realists (and to a worse degree the cynics).

My only genuine concern from the first two games is Tom Ince. In both games he's been in positions after cutting in where last season he'd shoot every time, but he hasn't had a shot from outside the area at all. Just passed it square across the box. I'm hoping that this is down to being pressured/marked out of the game, and that he'll get used to competitive pace again soon and I pray that he hasn't been told to shoot less. That "goal out of nothing" trait is what makes him valuable. He needs to start shooting more. 

Just want to add to this, the Charlton game has reinforced and improved certain sentiments I posted after the Portsmouth game, namely a much improved Tom Ince. Also reinforced the defensive solidity of the team, yes we conceded but we weren't broken down and no-one really made a mistake, just sheer bad luck.

Archived