Eva Carneiro: Chelsea doctor set to lose place on bench

Anon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33873310

Chelsea team doctor Eva Carneiro is set to lose her place on the bench for Sunday's trip to Manchester City after criticism from manager Jose Mourinho.

The Blues boss said his medical staff were "naive" for treating Eden Hazard during the 2-2 draw with Swansea.

Carneiro will continue to be Chelsea's first-team doctor but her role at the club will be significantly changed, according to the Daily Telegraph. 

She will no longer attend matches or training sessions.

Carneiro will, however, continue to work with first-team players at Chelsea's Cobham training ground.

Having had goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois sent off on 52 minutes, the Blues were later down to nine men for a period of Saturday's game after staff ran on to treat Hazard when he was tripped.

If a player receives treatment on the pitch, he must leave the field.

"I was unhappy with my medical staff. They were impulsive and naive," said Mourinho.

"Whether you are a kit man, doctor or secretary on the bench you have to understand the game."

Carneiro, who joined Chelsea in 2009, thanked people  for their support on Monday.

A club spokesman said: "We don't comment on internal staff matters."

Is it just me or is Mourinho being an even bigger jeb end than usual this season? Maybe if he didn't endorse Eden Hazard diving and feigning injury every 5 minutes his medical staff would have a better idea of when the player is actually injured? I guess what he means by "understanding the game" is understanding when his team are cheating.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think he's kind of losing it?

I don't mean his ability, but he's clearly flustered. After winning the League Cup, Chelsea cantered to the title but they weren't playing particularly well. You could see they need backup for Costa a new attacker.

The signing of Cuadrado has turned out to be pretty rubbish, leaving him with little options in the attacking third behind his strongest XI.

FFP have allowed Man City and Man Utd to seriously strengthen, while Cech going to Arsenal must have annoyed him. Moreover, Chelsea have signed nobody this summer and they had the excellent Kevin de Bruyne on their books before stupidly allowing him to leave - now he looks set to join City after tearing it up in Germany!

Pedro going to United is also a 'missed opportunity'. There is seemingly no-one with that real X factor for Chelsea to buy at the moment, a situation which must frustrate Mou as he needs players.

To top it all off, they lost the Community Shield to Arsenal and started the season against Swansea poorly, dropping two points. 

His row with Carneiro could just be a whole lot of frustration built up and needing to take it out on somebody. It wasn't her fault by any means, as Hazard stayed down. Tired? He's played like 1 game, that's a poor excuse.

Or the most logical is that Mou is using this whole saga as a smokescreen. Every talking about, everyone thinking he's gone over the top. Nobody is mentioning how poor Chelsea were vs Swansea and how good Man City were vs WBA in contrast.

So a few theories there. I just think he's massively frustrated and trying to divert attention away from what is a desperately poor summer and first-game performance.

Sith Happens

I like Jose but this is toys out the pram time....ok, so turn it round, next time a player goes down then they take their time deciding if the player is injured or not, ends up being a serious injury, will he be moaning they werent quick enough?

Not sure how valid it is, but I read a suggestion that when a player goes down injured, the ref will normally ask them if they need medical assistance and will then wave the staff onto the pitch - in thta case, the staff did their job and it should be Hazard that Jose is taking a pop at, not the doctor....

We don't know what was said between the pair behind closed doors afterwards, neither do the media so I'm surprised why this is getting so much attention.....actually I'm not, had this been a male I doubt it would have made the gossip columns.

Mourinho has a point, they were already down to ten players and at a critical moment down to nine when they were trying to chase the game. It wasn't a serious injury, it certainly didn't even look like a serious injury so they should have waited to see if he was going to get up. By the same token, Hazard should have also been more aware.

If a player is down, the ref asks the player if he needs assistance (unless it's obvious they do) and if the player says yes the medical team have to come on unless the player changes his mind. The medical team do not have a choice. This is more Hazards fault than the team doctor's and its not going to change in the future regardless of who Mourinho 'bans from the bench'. 

We don't know what was said between the pair behind closed doors afterwards, neither do the media so I'm surprised why this is getting so much attention.....actually I'm not, had this been a male I doubt it would have made the gossip columns.

It doesn't really matter what's been said behind closed doors since Mourinho decided to make the criticism public in the first place. I agree it's getting a little more attention because of who is involved, but do you really think it wouldn't be news if any other manager criticised his medical staff for doing their job?

I don't like the way Mourinho always seems to be given the benefit of the doubt, such as people suggesting that him acting like a child is some kind of brilliant secret plan hatched to deflect criticism from Chelsea's performance. No other manager is given that kind of leeway. If they were we'd all have hailed Nigel's unwarranted criticism of Cywka as a tactical masterstroke.

It doesn't really matter what's been said behind closed doors since Mourinho decided to make the criticism public in the first place. I agree it's getting a little more attention because of who is involved, but do you really think it wouldn't be news if any other manager criticised his medical staff for doing their job?

It kinda does matter, let's say for example Jose calls Eva into his office, she turns round and says look if you don't like the way I work don't have me on the bench, fair enough, you can stay here at the training ground.

Eva tells agent and friends I'm off the bench, not giving the full conversation, agent and friends pass this on to media, Chelsea refuse to comment and Jose is made to look like a dick. 

It kinda does matter, let's say for example Jose calls Eva into his office, she turns round and says look if you don't like the way I work don't have me on the bench, fair enough, you can stay here at the training ground.

Eva tells agent and friends I'm off the bench, not giving the full conversation, agent and friends pass this on to media, Chelsea refuse to comment and Jose is made to look like a dick. 

I suppose that's possible, but we're back to the benefit of the doubt thing though. I think it's Mourinho's fault for being public with the criticism in the first place. You always run the risk of sounding unprofessional when you do that.

To be honest I've not seen the press conference, was he asked about it or did he just go off on one randomly?

He was asked what he was angry about. Not to difficult to deflect if he'd wanted to, especially bearing in mind that by this point he'd already refused to talk about the ref and refused to talk about his players.

I thought Chelsea were actually pretty good going forward prior to the Courtois sending off. The concern if I was Jose would be defensively. I love Ivanovic but I've got to say over the last few months he's looked a shadow of himself, I've never seen a first half where he got taken to the cleaners as often as he did.

Attacking wise they looked slick, Hazard looked fresh. I think Costa should have got a bit more protection from the ref, but until the sending off, I always felt Chelsea had the upper hand.

Willians laziness cost them and I was a touch surprised Jose didn't single him out.

Going down to ten men did them and I'm with @bcnram, I think Jose has a point about being left with 9 men. It was avoidable.

Swansea were decent value for their point in the end but I don't buy this poor start by Chelsea touted around. They were ok and with 11 would probably have won it 3-1

I want not to like Jonjo Shelvey but the weight of some of his passing was sublime, if he was a bit more intelligent I think he's got the ability to be a very good player and it really looks like they've unearthed another gem in Ayew, who right from the first 30 seconds looked lively. Brilliant and clever finish as well.

Jose has done his usual trick of deflecting the result, but he wouldn't have needed to if Courtois had stayed on the pitch.

Eva did herself no favours going onto facebook and twitter. In a battle between her and JM, there's only one winner, no matter how good she is at her job. Say nowt, let him blow off some steam and in a week or two it's all forgotten. I think she's left herself in a corner she didn't need to be in.

Archived