Captain

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County had a lot of players who could have been appointed Captain. Reasons why Baird got the job:-

1. No association with failure to get promoted in last two seasons. 

2. Least likely to get himself or Derby County into any trouble in papers etc.

3.Most International caps

4. Most experienced player

5. Most versatile player in terms of positions.

6. Calmest player, least ego, least to prove

7. Arrived at the right time to get other players used to him being captain in Pre-Season

8. Probably the most capable of implementing Clement's ideas, formation changes etc on the pitch

8. Likely to be the prime mover in formation changes on the pitch, especially if he is moving between fullback and DCM

Right decision? - In my opinion -YES

Derby County had a lot of players who could have been appointed Captain. Reasons why Baird got the job:-

7. Arrived at the right time to get other players used to him being captain in Pre-Season

8. Probably the most capable of implementing Clement's ideas, formation changes etc on the pitch

8. Likely to be the prime mover in formation changes on the pitch, especially if he is moving between fullback and DCM

1. Should have no influence on Clement's decision, really.

2. Probably a consideration, although while his score in that regard is 0, there are others with the same score. 

3. Don't think the caps matter, not for a team of NI's caliber, but he's been a leader in that team for a long time so yes I imagine that matters.

4. True

5. True

6. Maybe, Maybe, Maybe

7. Multitple people were captain in pre-season, other players didn't know he was captain until today.

8. True

8. True

(P.S. I agree with the point your making, I just like dissecting posts.)

Keogh can have a great season concentrating on one thing now, stopping goals in.That is the name of the game for me. The midfield and forwards are more than capable of scoring enough goals to get us promotion. If the defence do their part, we are going up. I know that the whole team is supposed to do the defending but I never ascribed to that view. We need calm professionalism at the back, not panic, blaming or anything fancy.

Keogh will certainly benefit from being relieved of captain. We will now see what a quality CB he is with pressure of him. I believe he is a top notch CB for championship level, and we will be better for it.

Any word who is Vice Captain? I assume Shacks??

Look up the page :p 

1. Should have no influence on Clement's decision, really.

2. Probably a consideration, although while his score in that regard is 0, there are others with the same score. 

3. Don't think the caps matter, not for a team of NI's caliber, but he's been a leader in that team for a long time so yes I imagine that matters.

4. True

5. True

6. Maybe, Maybe, Maybe

7. Multitple people were captain in pre-season, other players didn't know he was captain until today.

8. True

8. True

(P.S. I agree with the point your making, I just like dissecting posts.)

Excellent post dissection SaintRam. biggest difference is point 1.. - He has no post traumatic stress from losing in play off final or the meltdown at the end of last season. I put that point first for  a reason. It is a fresh start, new manager, new chairman, new captain. One the seven players coming in, only Shackell had much of a chance in my opinion, but he arrived too late. 

Have we ever even had a "vice-captain"? I know we've had a "club captain" and "team captain" thing going on before, but wasn't  that to spare the feelings of Michael Johnson/Shaun Barker when they were out of the squad? Is a specifically named "vice captain" really necessary? I agree there are half a dozen other players who could grab it if Baird isn't on the pitch and they happen to be. The armband in those situations is just a formality.

Everyone including myself is assuming Keogh will start but who's to say it's not Pearce and Shackell as the starting Centre halves ... Perhaps shotton impressed PC too ?  Remains to be seen but we will know soon enough. 

Bit disappointed, mainly because I wasn't counted on Baird being played week in week out.

agree should have been shackell to be fair. So obviously Baird has got a much bigger role than we all thought when he first signed. 

Clement needs to to make it clear that the arm band does not make your place in the side safe. Let's keep everyone scraping to get in the starting 11

With his stunning looks, he's also the least likely to shag a teammate's wife

Archived