Captain

I'm thinking that Clement will say something like it will be decided in the first 5 games of the season, who takes the armband v Bolton doesn't mean they will be the captain for the season.

Want's to see them all in a competitive matchday situation and this is why we haven't had any announcement like usual as yet.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how de-motivating, if at all, this is for Keogh? At the least it's a hit to his pride.

I think it all depends on how the chat goes.

PC: "The fans think you are captain calamity, so I am stripping you of the captaincy".

OR

PC: "You are a good player and integral to the team, I think you should focus on your game and have Baird as captain to take the heat of you and have you focus on your game".

If Keogh is a natural leader then the armband won't matter.

I still think Keogh and Shackle partnership would be immense and I don't really mind who is captain.

"Richie m'lad... All these nancy boy ex-Premier League old geezers we've brought in... mind if I make one of them captain? They'll probably cry if I don't and I know you're more of a trooper than they are..."

I think Thorne will be VC to be honest. As many have said I'm not sure how much it matters who wears the armband, as long as it's someone who'll play consistently, so it'll be whoever wants it the most of Shacks and Baird I imagine.

Still, Clement could throw us a curveball.

I have it on very good authority the new captan will be Carson

That would also fit the bill of someone who's going to play consistently if he's beaten Grant to the starting job.

I'm thinking that Clement will say something like it will be decided in the first 5 games of the season, who takes the armband v Bolton doesn't mean they will be the captain for the season.

Want's to see them all in a competitive matchday situation and this is why we haven't had any announcement like usual as yet.

interesting point and could happen but we don't need to start off with an interim captain which just creates more uncertainty because whoever it is has to prove himself in the role while mesningful games are going on  ... Need a firm "this is our captain for the year" decision and let's rock and roll 

there would only be an announcement if things were changing. We never got announcements in the past if the skipper was staying the same. No point.

the dcfc player profiles opens with these two paragraphs

UPDATED 06:00 10th July 2015

Richard Keogh joined Derby County in the summer of 2012 from Coventry City and has established himself as a key player at the iPro Stadium.

His leadership skills and ability to organise from the back are one of his key strengths, as well as his solid and dependable performances, so it is perhaps unsurprising that he is Derby’s skipper.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/team/player-profile/richard-keogh/6#rHVe5z92R3QDOSTO.99

considering this was updated on 10th July then Keogh is still captain

maybe its just a few fans hoping for a change that are worried that change might not happen and are trying to get people talking about it.

Press conference this afternoon, I imagine we'll find out who's captain during it. On both Steve and Owen's list for questioning.

Gives a lot of clues away then...baird to be expected to start each week? guess we know the RB for the season it seems. Unless he's club captain and Shacks is captain when baird isn't on the pitch?

Regardless of the formation, Baird will play. RB when Thorne is playing, DM when he isn't and DM alongside Thorne with 4231. Can also play CB and LB if necessary. Basically, he's always going to be there unless he gets injured.

Best choice imo.

Baird has really impressed me despite most people not being overwhelmed when he first signed.

Leads from the back and has been part of all the pre-season games as well as having much more prem experience than the rest of the squad as far as I'm aware. Shackell only joined a week or 2 ago so still needs time to settle but it's important to have leaders all over the pitch more than anything else.

Archived