QA with Sam Rush and Mel Morris

SaintRam

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goes to show how many people are unhappy with promotion battles and a few goals. 

No way on earth can our fans say that they deserved better last season. Moaned the whole time.

My first season ticket was in the season in which DCFC were champions of England. As a 7 year old I remember asking my Dad why those two blokes who sat behind us kept moaning all the time when we were top of the league.

Now, 40 years later I reckon it's just that the majority of football fans who go to games treat it as a bit of escapism. They just let their emotions flow in a way that would be unacceptable in most other situations. If you're the type to blow off steam by moaning, you will moan even more at football - even if it makes no sense. But paying money to watch a load of men kick a bag of wind about makes no sense either if you apply logic, yet we all do.

Personally I think asking fans to be less critical is poorly thought through. Criticism is a sign of engagement, and the last thing the club needs is disengaged fans. Clearly there's a line. Criticism should not extend to abuse and if that abuse stretches to player's loved ones the perpetrators should be prosecuted. But fans saying that Keogh is rubbish or Sammon can't kick a ball properly is part of the same process that allows those players to live as millionaires. If no one cares, no one pays!

The club have openly said now that abuse on Twitter can affect players, so all those fans that have been abusing the likes of Keogh and Sammon now must be thinking they have won. They are having an effect and the players know that they don't them. 

Is it not going to get worse now?

Can they honestly see it flipping round now, Christie has a shocking game and is flooded with not to worry, keep your chin up, on to the next one tweets? Not going to happen. 

Time to take them out the firing line, private accounts only with friends and family. You're never going to make a fan that sends you're a ******* ****, get out of Derby tweets to his own players see sense. They are numbnuts the lot of them.

If players want that fan interaction, set up some nights at the iPro, get the players that are being slated online in there and see what fans say to their faces. Bet it will be nothing but understanding and support, not one of those 140 character tosspots would have the balls to turn up. 

The SS support every player, to a man! It's them moaning buggers in the west stand you wanna look out for, the ones that demand their own seat in a youth game when it's sit where you want, nasty pieces of work the lot of em!!!

no they don't.

Football League can't punish QPR because they were so far away from being FFP compliant?

What an age we live in.

surely if that's the case then no punishment can be deemed to be too severe! 

18-20 squad players seems a bit small, the Championship season is a long one, we saw that last season.

Can only imagine Hanson, Rawson, Calero, Thomas and maybe one or two others are going to be expected to cover U21 and first team places.

I'd like to see a few of the U21 getting opportunities. After all if we hadn't had done that in the past we wouldn't be where we are now. 

Young players need to see the worthy get opportunities otherwise they'll start choosing other academies to go to. 

I don't think it helps everyone saying SS people are like this, WS people are like that, etc. There are all types in every stand!

Never gone in for this stand has better supporters than that stand, it doesn't matter.

We're all Derby fans, get behind the team, have a moan if you need to, but just recognise the difference between a moan and abuse. There is a line, in my view, and unfortunately, it got crossed too often last season.

I don't think it helps everyone saying SS people are like this, WS people are like that, etc. There are all types in every stand!

Never gone in for this stand has better supporters than that stand, it doesn't matter.

We're all Derby fans, get behind the team, have a moan if you need to, but just recognise the difference between a moan and abuse. There is a line, in my view, and unfortunately, it got crossed too often last season.

It certainly got crossed at Huddersfield when the guy in front of me (who was with two small children) commenced a verbal tirade of obscenities at Grant from the moment the half time whistle blew, and which continued until the players had left the pitch.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/New-Rams-chief-pledges-match-fans-iPro-atmosphere/story-26873223-detail/story.html

NEW Derby County chairman Mel Morris has pledged to match the amount raised by fans seeking to improve the matchday atmosphere at the iPro Stadium.

At a question and answer session for Marketing Derby bondholders, supporter Tom Erskine asked Mr Morris and chief executive Sam Rush how the club would support the 1884 Group, set up by fans last month.

Mr Morris said: "I think [the fans group] is a great initiative. It makes me think back to the play-off final and the QPR flags. I was gutted to think we hadn't taken that initiative. Was that we reason we lost? No, but it would have helped.

"The question is to you, what would you like to see the club do to support your efforts?"

Mr Erskine replied: "We've raised £1,500 so far. Anything on top of that would be fantastic. It would mean we could do more as the season goes forward. We've got a long list – things like putting new slogans or pictures of past players in the concourse to make it look a bit less generic – "

Cutting in, Mr Morris said "we'll match your investment", to which Mr Erskine replied: "Brilliant, thank you very much."

Mr Morris also defended replacing ex-boss Steve McClaren with someone with no managerial experience in Paul Clement.

He argued experienced managers wrongly think they know what is best at a club and are "dictators".

He said: "Someone who's got 20 years' experience is going to come and tell us what we should do and who we should buy. He'll demotivate the hell out of people. I'm sorry, if that's the sort of football club you want, forget it. It's not sustainable. The best way to do it is pick someone who really wants the job. Someone it means something to, someone who's got something to learn.

"We want someone who wants to grow the club and be part of that journey and not dictate what that journey is. Some of Derby's best success came from a dictatorship manager, which was Brian Clough. But it was not sustainable."

Earlier, Mr Rush said the "desire being shown by players old and new has never been so prolific". He also said the club had a "phenomenal" commitment to its academy and vowed to stay "cool and calm" if the first team's form dips.

Mr Morris also defended replacing ex-boss Steve McClaren with someone with no managerial experience in Paul Clement.

He argued experienced managers wrongly think they know what is best at a club and are "dictators".

He said: "Someone who's got 20 years' experience is going to come and tell us what we should do and who we should buy. He'll demotivate the hell out of people. I'm sorry, if that's the sort of football club you want, forget it. It's not sustainable. The best way to do it is pick someone who really wants the job. Someone it means something to, someone who's got something to learn.

This is the bit I find really interesting. Is he talking about McClaren here?  I think he probably is.

The bloke just behind me had some unsavoury comments to make about Gareth McCleary when he scored Reading's 3rd on the last day of the season. Began with 'N' and ended with 'R' and it wasn't 'neighbour'.

Wouldn't say he's representative of the whole South Stand, so you're exactly right.

Wtf!!??!!??!!??

SS far to many gobshites who are thick as pigshit. Their limited vocab consists of words with 4 letters.

What do you think the F in Wtf stands for? So does this make you a gobshite who is as thick as pigshit?

My first season ticket was in the season in which DCFC were champions of England. As a 7 year old I remember asking my Dad why those two blokes who sat behind us kept moaning all the time when we were top of the league.

Remember when we beat Arsenal 5.0 1972 I can still recall my Dad`s mate moaning how we didn`t score more goals and how Roger Davies had missed so many chances and only scored once 

Archived