QA with Sam Rush and Mel Morris

SaintRam

There is a difference between personal abuse that verges on hate speech, and simply expressing an opinion that player X had a dreadful game. There are laws to deal with the former – and rightly so, but the implication from the Q&A stuff is that Mel Morris wants people to stop expressing their opinions about individual players. Not going to happen. The players need to learn to deal with it

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a difference between personal abuse that verges on hate speech, and simply expressing an opinion that player X had a dreadful game. There are laws to deal with the former – and rightly so, but the implication from the Q&A stuff is that Mel Morris wants people to stop expressing their opinions about individual players. Not going to happen. The players need to learn to deal with it

the iPro would be completely silent.....

Not with horrible abuse towards to their families... I'd ban them for life tbh.

The abuse of players and or their families is a sad part of life. Club can't take people to court for voicing opinions. If they spout bile just ban them. 

We all support the same club. Such threats by clubs is absolutely the wrong approach. So too is the victims engaging. If someone is being a dick, other fans need to say something. But don't be confrontational with them. It won't go away but it will get better if fans that see this behavior started to reign back in other fans. 

We all support the same club. Such threats by clubs is absolutely the wrong approach. So too is the victims engaging. If someone is being a dick, other fans need to say something. But don't be confrontational with them. It won't go away but it will get better if fans that see this behavior started to reign back in other fans. 

Has banter gone too far ???

The reference Mel made to support is, in my opinion, totally justified. 

Players such as Christie, Forsyth and Keogh got far more than "banter" last year, it sometimes verged on verbal abuse. The conditions they played under were, at times, poisonous and I found it really disappointing considering we call ourselves fans and supporters. Banter is having a song about Andre Wisdom's parking, not booing players, telling them they're s*it and cheering when they mess up.

I'm all for having a moan at the football, don't get me wrong. It's roots are as a working class game which acted as a release valve for the stresses of the working week, but to direct venom and bile at your own players is wrong.

Support doesn't need to be unconditional, and that's not what Mel was saying. But at a time when the team was struggling, the fans were needed more than ever and its a shame that, as a collective, that didn't happen.

I believe that 90% of DCFC fans give the team their backing, its important that the club and players dont see the other 10% as representative of our fanbase.

The best description I've ever heard of DCFC fans is that "they are hard on their own team, but even harder on the opposition." Direct the negativity at the other team, not our own!

I don't think it's like that. He said he is fine with people expressing their opinions. He quite rightly draws the line at abuse. Players understand that too. They know not everyone will love them. They know what fans are like. But they shouldn't have to worry about their wives getting abuse. 

You see that fromage's me right off, a season ticket is not on the radar for me at the minute but if I could get one and somebody like who you mention KBB who is behind you givin' it the big 'un, I'd have a job keeping my trap shut, particularly after reading what Mel and Sam had to say vis a vie supporting the lads.

Don't get me wrong, a "Jesus wept" or a "sort it out whoever" or the like is perfectly reasonable but constant barracking of a particular player is not supporting your club in my book, yeah it might make you look like a hard man (to some) but it just makes you look like a loud mouthed no nothing nob to me.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, I just think they are spitting in the wind if they think it will ever stop. They need to come at it from the other angle and  get some proper psychological counselling for the players if they are letting it affect their performances.

Has banter gone too far ???

I don't know. I only see people on here referring to abuse on social media because I don't stalk (follow) our players and their families. So I have no idea how large of a problem it is. It will always be a problem but fans need to start addressing other fans that do these things. 

I can't understand anyone attacking our own players at the match, in the street, on twitter or anywhere else.

i can understand criticism and a bit of chuntering but even that goes too far sometimes.

I genuinely don't understand the mentality. 

Of course it didn't help when nigel publicly attacked cywka for sod all. 

18-20 squad players seems a bit small, the Championship season is a long one, we saw that last season.

Can only imagine Hanson, Rawson, Calero, Thomas and maybe one or two others are going to be expected to cover U21 and first team places.

Chard on the popside forum has posted this which is a great summary of things discussed. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing here.

1. This is the first year that the Academy has a budget to buy players. Presumably using our Cat 1 status. Referred to Wassall as the head of the academy, so I think he move to U-21 is a promotion.

b. We've taken out insurance for players' salaries in case of injuries for the first time. Didn't have it last year, and the FFP limits were so tight, it was difficult to cover for injuries. We would have received a substantial pay out if we had taken out insurance.

3. Squad size will be around 18-20. The only players leaving will be players that Clement wants to let go, and only after he's had a chance to assess the squad. They gave the distinct impression that we don't need to sell to balance the books.

4. A Chief Medical Officer has been appointed. He/she is a Consultant, and one of the first things they want to do is serve only organic food at Moor Farm.

5. Morris invested two days before the Play-off Final. The value of the club was set between a value in the Championship and a value in the Premiership. We didn't go up, but although that meant he paid over the odds, he was confident that the club was going in the right direction.

6. Club will match the money raised by the 1884 group. I don't think this was a planned gesture, but Mel Morris just made the offer there and then. Presumably, he'll cover that out of his pocket.

7. At Clement's request, the club has installed a "war room" and new tools for analysing the competition. Morris said he has seen a massive step up in coaching even in the short time Clement has been here. The things we've installed are things that the previous coaching staff didn't ask for. Clement has high standards, and they will support him in achieving and maintaining those standards.

8. Clement is the Head Coach. They appointed him because he is the best coach they could bring in to improve the players. He will fit into the structure at the club. They didn't want an old, scarred manager with baggage who would change everything, and then scarper. They like the structure, and Clement fits into it.

9. Said DCFC is a player factory. They have to bring players in and improve them, and that goes for the Academy too. They have to do everything they can to make the players perform at a consistently high level. He said this extends to supporters too. We have a responsibility at the stadium and away from it to support the players. Including on the internet. 

He said abusing players doesn't help anyone, and they need to feel confident and supported. He picked out Dawkins (without naming him), who he said was having a really tough time with his mother seriously ill, but the club was short of players and needed him to play. Just when he needed support to get him through a tough time, the fans were abusing him. 

He admitted that it was a two-way street, and that the club and players need to perform as well, but that support can help that happen, and negativity will hinder it. The club is going in the right direction. Everyone needs to get behind it and push us towards the Premier League.

10. They said there is no pressure to be promoted this season (but I suspect that there would be next season).

11. No players coming in today, but they will look to add to the squad. They want someone with pace (like Ibe). They were clearly holding their cards close to their chest. Players will come in, and it wouldn't even surprise me if it was tomorrow. Just not today.

12. Clubs under FFP embargo have shown no signs of improving. They have to improve. He said QPR broke the rules so spectacularly that the governing body don't have the tools to punish them. Unfair, but they don't know what will happen there.

13. We won't break FFP because it isn't worth the risk if the rules change and for instance a points penalty is imposed. But the rules in terms of losses have been relaxed. Impression to me was that we're on top of FFP, and know how to use the rules (hence large investment in Moor Farm and Academy).

Point number 4, only serve organic food? What a load of tripe. All food is organic or were they eating bicycle tubes before?

gasp!

But the south stand is full of all the best fans isn't it?

No idea. But I did move to the East for the Chesterfield game and it was the most negative atmosphere I've been in for a long time when Derby are winning. I'd never leave the SS again now. Made the ****** behind me seem like glass full and over flowing type fans. 

In regards to social media comments: Imagine if your co-workers or your boss had a 24 hour go at your family/relatives when you had a bad day at work. Writing on Facebook and Twitter endlessly shouting out abuse for nothing you had to do with. We wouldn't stand for it and neither should they.

So a club like Blackburn or Forest can spend a bit, but just a bit too much, and get embargoes, fines, whatever. But if you break the rules astronomically, e.g like QPR, you can't be punished??

That's like saying if you punch someone, you go to jail, but murder is way too serious that you won't go to jail....

Archived