The Ashes

Ovis aries

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You were backtracking because you tried to muddy the waters with mentioning atmospheric conditions and poor Australian batting. This morning it was all about a joke pitch.

So you are still saying this is a joke pitch? (btw 274-4)

p.s. New to the conditions? Played league cricket in Derbyshire and Notts for 20 years.

I was making a joke about you seemingly dismissing my criticism of the pitch based on it becoming easier to bat on as the ball and pitch aged. 

Yes, I am still saying this pitch is a joke. 

I also don't see where I'm backtracking, at no point did I say that Australia's performance was down to solely the pitch, just that I don't like the pitch. You'll probably notice the two posts that you quoted actually note how poorly Australia have done, and that I think England will do much better. Carefully note my prediction for how Australia would end up doing, and my prediction that England would do much better (and hope that they'd do better). 

That all said, England have done better than I expected, as I was more seeing a ~250 score for them once Australia were all out, and they've smashed that mark thanks to Root and Bairstow. 

I was making a joke about you seemingly dismissing my criticism of the pitch based on it becoming easier to bat on as the ball and pitch aged. 

Yes, I am still saying this pitch is a joke. 

I also don't see where I'm backtracking, at no point did I say that Australia's performance was down to the pitch, just that I don't like the pitch. You'll probably notice the two posts that you quoted actually note how poorly Australia have done, and that I think England will do much better. Carefully note my prediction for how Australia would end up doing, and my prediction that England would do much better (and hope that they'd do better). 

That all said, England have done better than I expected, as I was more seeing a ~250 score for them once Australia were all out, and they've smashed that mark thanks to Root and Bairstow. 

Why is it a joke when we scored 277-4?

You are backtracking because you bring ij atmospheric conditions Professor Shilly Shally!!

You are quite right that the morning rain and overcast conditions played a major part in your downfall. More so than the pitch. Most people were out due to swing not seam.It always swings a lot at Trent Bridge. 

This morning you were being mardy and blaming the pitch as if it was unfair. First day pitches in England take some seam early one. There was no extravagant seam movement. no inconsistent bounce and no variation in pace.   

It's a good job Anderson wasn't bowling, you wouldn't have got 40.

Why is it a joke when we scored 277-4?

You are backtracking because you bring ij atmospheric conditions Professor Shilly Shally!!

You are quite right that the morning rain and overcast conditions played a major part in your downfall. More so than the pitch. Most people were out due to swing not seam.It always swings a lot at Trent Bridge. 

This morning you were being mardy and blaming the pitch as if it was unfair. First day pitches in England take some seam early one. There was no extravagant seam movement. no inconsistent bounce and no variation in pace.   

It's a good job Anderson wasn't bowling, you wouldn't have got 40.

What I saw was quite the opposite of you then, but I guess we're not going to agree on this one. Not that any of that matters anymore.

I still find it funny looking back a few weeks to the Lords Test when I seemed to be about the only person on here confident that England could win the Ashes if they took it to the Australians. That said I also thought that England should field an unchanged side, but it seems Bairstow for Ballance was a masterstroke on today's performance (though the other changes were forced). 

From here it'll be interesting to see how Australia approach the rest of this Test. They've lost the Ashes, this match isn't savable in any realistic manner from here. Even if England declared overnight, Warnie-style (come at me b...), Australia are 210 behind, clearly not comfortable in the conditions, with a frail middle order, and in a position where even a score of 410 would still only set 200 runs, which whilst a lot on a later day in the Test match, wouldn't seem like a lot if they just piled on 410 in the third innings. To put that another way, even if Australia got the last 6 wickets for under 100 runs tomorrow, they'll still need a 500+ score to set a defendable total. 

At a guess, Australia will be looking at the future in the 5th Test now. 

PistoldPete2

Imagine how many the Aussies would have got if Anderson had been bowling.

this test cricket game isn't thcsame as the long game... A 20/20 innings would have lasted longer than an Aussie test innings. Or a footy game. Absolutely incredibly poor batting . Apart from Rogers the aussies don't have anyone who is used to English conditions and it shows. 

What I saw was quite the opposite of you then, but I guess we're not going to agree on this one. Not that any of that matters anymore.

I still find it funny looking back a few weeks to the Lords Test when I seemed to be about the only person on here confident that England could win the Ashes if they took it to the Australians. That said I also thought that England should field an unchanged side, but it seems Bairstow for Ballance was a masterstroke on today's performance (though the other changes were forced). 

From here it'll be interesting to see how Australia approach the rest of this Test. They've lost the Ashes, this match isn't savable in any realistic manner from here. Even if England declared overnight, Warnie-style (come at me b...), Australia are 210 behind, clearly not comfortable in the conditions, with a frail middle order, and in a position where even a score of 410 would still only set 200 runs, which whilst a lot on a later day in the Test match, wouldn't seem like a lot if they just piled on 410 in the third innings. To put that another way, even if Australia got the last 6 wickets for under 100 runs tomorrow, they'll still need a 500+ score to set a defendable total. 

At a guess, Australia will be looking at the future in the 5th Test now. 

You could persuade me a little if you could point out the dismissals that were down to the pitch.If you get to more than 2 i'll be shocked, I couldn't get past 1.

Looking at your team, I'm amazed that you beat us so convincingly at Lords.

Bearing in mind more than half of your squad won't be playing Test cricket next time you come here, you certainly do need to look to the future.

The home team 'prepares' the pitch and we put the Aussies in to bat. If we had lost the toss, we may have had to bat first. We do not know what would have happened.The Aussies are rattled big time. It could be all over in time to watch the Rams beat Bolton, live.

I think you need to wait until both sides have had a dig.

Say an hour after lunch.

I meant an hour after lunch on Day 3, obviously

You could persuade me a little if you could point out the dismissals that were down to the pitch.If you get to more than 2 i'll be shocked, I couldn't get past 1.

Looking at your team, I'm amazed that you beat us so convincingly at Lords.

Bearing in mind more than half of your squad won't be playing Test cricket next time you come here, you certainly do need to look to the future.

I saw a team in abject panic after the first nine balls, completely bottle it. Nearly all the wickets fell to rash, nay stupid, irresponsible shots - the case in point is that when Australia lost their sixth wicket, only ONE BALL would have gone on to hit the stumps at that time. It was a complete capitulation brought about by the same stupidity that saw Warner hole out time after time in previous games, trying to 'take it to Moeen Ali'.

Australia need it though, in exactly the same way that England needed it down under last time. Whereas years ago old test match cricketers could enjoy a nice quiet twilight over two or three seasons (a farewell tour, so to speak), there is no longer any place to hide when technique and bottle desert you. The old bread-stealers will come back better and stronger next series, with a younger, hungrier team.

Five retirements, a new captain and a new coach before then though.

Stokes catch to dismiss Voges off Broad was one of the best ever catches for me. .

Broads bowling was sensational .

Cook ,Root and Bairstow also did really well today in the batting department. 

I'm not convinced by Bairstow. He really rode his luck today. He has ironed out some of the problems in his game but it will be interesting to see him against fast bowlers on a fast pitch again 

I'm not convinced by Bairstow. He really rode his luck today. He has ironed out some of the problems in his game but it will be interesting to see him against fast bowlers on a fast pitch again 

I'm not convinced either but he battled today with a bit of luck granted. 

Root is getting to be World Class though all of a sudden. 

Archived