The Ashes

Ovis aries

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With no need to declare for another two days there is a chance for some really big innings here

It's beginning to look like a very good batting wicket now. Australia's shot selection - what to play, what to leave - looked decidedly suspect this morning. 

Utter shambles for Australia, not a fan of pitch, but England bowler very well to conditions, something that Hazlewood and Johnson haven't shown. The lack of experience is certainly showing. 

At this point England have almost certainly won the Ashes unless this match is somehow washes out, or Australia pull something ridiculous out of the hat. 

Australia just don't look comfortable in the conditions, and Broad put on a masterclass at home. Absolutely deserved lead at this point. 

At this point I can see England getting around 250, but if Australia have any hope left, it's getting England out for under 150 and putting on the batting performance of their lives. 

Really? We are 215-3. If it wasn't for this terrible pitch we'd be on 300 by now 

Really? We are 215-3. If it wasn't for this terrible pitch we'd be on 300 by now 

Australia look completely demoralised. Root has taken whatever was left of the game for them away. England should set as many as they can for Australia as they can, as at this point they basically have 4 days with 17 wickets in hand, with 10 wickets to take. 

Australia look completely demoralised. Root has taken whatever was left of the game for them away. England should set as many as they can for Australia as they can, as at this point they basically have 4 days with 17 wickets in hand, with 10 wickets to take. 

Still think it's a dreadful pitch? (249-3)

Still think it's a dreadful pitch? (249-3)

Dreadful wasn't my wording, but yes, I still stand by what I said about it earlier, and oddly after my earlier comments, Australia did indeed get exactly 60. 

The mix of the overhead conditions and the pitch with the new ball was devastating, and with English experience (and shear quality of Broad) it showed in spades. As the ball softens, and the sun came out of course it will become easier to bat on, but even in the same conditions I'd think England would have still made more than the 150-200 mark. Australia just looked lost, and the only batsmen I'd even think of forgiving are those who went in the first overs. Root on the otherhand is batting brilliantly, and Bairstow isn't far behind. 

This pitch is a joke. What even is that thing? There's a green strip alone a good bowling line, cracks and it's bright green in front of the stumps. There's a better pitch at the park across the road from my house. 

Oh well, at least it's in English conditions, England should put on a better score than anything Australia are going to manage. 

At this point I'd honestly be surprised with Australia setting 60. 

Whilst I'm Australian, I'm really hoping that when England go in that it's not a repeat of whatever this is. The last thing Test cricket needs is a 1 day 4th Ashes Test. 

Another criticism of the pitch,

Don't try and backtrack now. You slagged off the pitch when you should have been criticising your inept batsmen, Just admit you were wrong the pitch isn't a joke. (269-4 btw) 

Criticism of the pitch

Another criticism of the pitch,

Don't try and backtrack now. You slagged off the pitch when you should have been criticising your inept batsmen, Just admit you were wrong the pitch isn't a joke. (269-4 btw) 

Where am I backtracking exactly? The pitch is an awful one, it is clearly there to rattle sides with the new ball, which is exactly what it did, particularly with the morning conditions. I don't know, maybe you're new to the conditions, but pitches like this tend to get easier to bat on with time, particularly as the ball softens. The issue here was that Australia was completely feeble in the conditions and appeared to learn nothing from Edgbaston, and lacked the bowlers to capitalise. 

I completely stand by my previous comments, but again, I don't feel that even if Australia had won the toss that England had any chance of ending up like that. It took a class bowling performance with the conditions, along with some terrible batting by Australia to get to this point, but I still don't like the pitch. 

Where am I backtracking exactly? The pitch is an awful one, it is clearly there to rattle sides with the new ball, which is exactly what it did, particularly with the morning conditions. I don't know, maybe you're new to the conditions, but pitches like this tend to get easier to bat on with time, particularly as the ball softens. The issue here was that Australia was completely feeble in the conditions and appeared to learn nothing from Edgbaston, and lacked the bowlers to capitalise. 

I completely stand by my previous comments, but again, I don't feel that even if Australia had won the toss that England had any chance of ending up like that. It took a class bowling performance with the conditions, along with some terrible batting by Australia to get to this point, but I still don't like the pitch. 

You were backtracking because you tried to muddy the waters with mentioning atmospheric conditions and poor Australian batting. This morning it was all about a joke pitch.

So you are still saying this is a joke pitch? (btw 274-4)

p.s. New to the conditions? Played league cricket in Derbyshire and Notts for 20 years.

Archived