The Ashes

Ovis aries

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely devastating that it's ended like this. To be honest though, I wouldn't be sure what it changes exactly, for the first test it was a battle between him and Starc, and I seriously doubt the English batting lineup are exactly going to be relieved that the best swing bowler in the world is now pretty much confirmed to start. 

Amazing player though, definitely going to miss him, and would have loved to see him tear through England one last time. I as said back after the tour of South Africa though, if that spell to beat them was his last, it'd be a fitting end, but he gave it his all to get another few Tests in. 

Cummins in to replace Harris in the squad, the bowling attack for the First test is almost certainly Johnson, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon. 

got my ticket for day 1 of the Egbaston test (29th July), £91!!!!!! Shocking!

I'd heard that the first test wasn't sold out yet so, somewhat surprised, I had a look at tickets and immediately understood why. £62 is the cheapest for any of days 1-4, it's ludicrous frankly.

Going for day 5 instead, hoping for an exciting climax, would settle for an England win within 4 days though.

I cannot see beyond an Australian victory, 2-1 or 3-1.

Then again, I said the same thing in 2005.

Injury to the best Aussie bowler in 2005 too...

For me Steve Smith is the key, if he stays in the form of the last 12-18 months we're in awful trouble but if someone can cause him consistent problems I think we could have a fantastic series.

Injury to the best Aussie bowler in 2005 too...

For me Steve Smith is the key, if he stays in the form of the last 12-18 months we're in awful trouble but if someone can cause him consistent problems I think we could have a fantastic series.

Australia have never lost a test when he has scored a century

England win the toss and will bat.

Cue the missus coming into the lounge in a bit....

"Cook's out"

"How do you know?"

"It's 5 past 11"

:D

got my ticket for day 1 of the Egbaston test (29th July), £91!!!!!! Shocking!

Should have stayed at home, bought yourself an ashtray for a quid and watched that all day, more entertaining and saves you £90

Furious to see Watson in the side. I don't mind the guy, but surely the time has come for him. He's neither a top order batsmen, nor more than a part time bowler anymore. Yet somehow "experience" is keeping him in the side, and the likes of Mitch Marsh out of it, despite form going into this match. 

His stats since January 2012 say it all. A batting average of ~32, only 2 centuries in those 27 games, and a mere 17 wickets at 47.89. He's only worth about 7 overs an innings as well. 

He better have the best match of his life, because I can't understand the justification to pick him over M. Marsh anymore. He's not got form, he's not even got a career weight of statistics (he's about a 35 average batsmen over his whole career). 

Oh well. Let's see how Cook and Lyth take to Johnson, Starc and Hazlewood. 

Archived