GK Poom

LB Michael Forsyth

RB Brayford

CB ooh mark wright

CB Igor

LM Micklewhite

RM asanovic

CM Jossie Paul Williams

CM robin van der laan (palace sentiment)

CF Saunders 

CF wanchope 

subs 

shilton, George Williams, Bobby Davison, Hughes, Barker, sturridge, baino and about 20 more

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could put Gerry Daly and Don Masson in there

You right Gerry did well for us and  Gordon Hill was a good player who also later played for the Rams .

I don't think Masson was a success at Derby though .

Check out Gerry and Gordon breaking Rams fans hearts though at Hillsborough I'll never forget that day for more reasons than one  .

http://youtu.be/ImLywgV0gao

My dad always says Colin Boulton was one of the most underrated keepers he'd known. 

As I'm only 22:

Poom; Chris Powell, Stimac, Laursen, Wisdom; Hughes, Idiakez, Eranio; Baiano, Martin, Sturridge.

he was definitely - and not a big goalkeeper either.....but would never get a look in at England cos of Shilts, Clemance and Corrigan....and of course pissin Don Revie as manager.......

My 2p

Poom

Webster    McFarland   Todd   Buckley

McMinn     Gemmill     Rioch     Gladys

Hector   George

I could have easily picked Saunders & Goddard, but couldn't bring myself to drop Kevin & Charlie. Ted McMinn was a true hero of mine as was Steve Buckley and the rest sort of picked themselves.

agree on Steve Bucko - had him in......but i would have Saunders in over McMinn

agree on front two - brilliant strikeforce

When Shilton, first came to Derby i was about 17 18 years old ,and in his first season for Derby he was outstanding Arthur Cox actually said he and Mark Wright kept us in the Divisiion,and Shilton,was probably worth 20 points that season,Poom was also very good.But for me I would just go with Shilton!even if he was not at his best at Derby,he was still better than Poom,and in his best days probably,one of the best keepers of all time.

nice first post, hope you post more.

I went to my first game in 1982/3 and therefore saw Archie Gemmill and potentially Roy McFarland, Charlie George and Kevin Hector. None of them were anywhere near their best when I saw them though so I have discounted them.  My team is;

GK - Peter Shilton - still the best in the world when we had him.

RWB - Stefano Eranio

LWB - Chris Powell

CB - Stimac, Wright & West

DCM - Seth Johnson & George Thorne (just over taking Lee Carsley)

ACM - Francesco Baiano

CS - Wanchope & Saunders

Subs - Poom, Sage, Barker, Hughes, McMinn, Huddlestone & Goddard

1. Peter Shilton

2. Ron Webster

3. David Nish

4. Bruce Rioch

5. Roy MacFarland

6. Colin Todd

7. John McGovern

8. Archie Gemmill

9. Charlie George

10. Kevin Hector

11. Alan Hinton

what a team (wouldn't need any subs cos when these lads played it was on 11 players and 1 sub, and they didn't play on bloody carpets like today)

1. Peter Shilton

2. Ron Webster

3. David Nish

4. Bruce Rioch

5. Roy MacFarland

6. Colin Todd

7. John McGovern

8. Archie Gemmill

9. Charlie George

10. Kevin Hector

11. Alan Hinton

what a team (wouldn't need any subs cos when these lads played it was on 11 players and 1 sub, and they didn't play on bloody carpets like today)

Were our championship sides 4-4-2?  Who played wide opposite Hinton?

Were our championship sides 4-4-2?  Who played wide opposite Hinton?

the front 6 in 71/72 were McGovern, Gemmill, Durban, Hinton, Hector & O'Hare.

in 74/75 it was Newton, Gemmill, Rioch, Hinton, Hector & Lee.

we tended to play 4-3-3 in those days but it really didn't matter cos everyone knew what they had to do and how to do it.

Poom

Laurson

Powell

McGrath (almost finished when he came for that season and still absolutely brilliant in every game.oh to have seen him in his prime)

Stimac

Eranio (arguably DCFC's greatest player ever)

Osman (un-arguably DCFC's greatest ever loan signing)

Gregory

Asanovic

Saunders

Davison

Baiano     Saunders

Asanović                     

Powell     Hughes        Huddlestone     Eranio

Štimac      McGrath      Wright

Shilton

Loads I would have love to have included- Cowans, Forsyth, Seth Johnson, Carsley, Kinkladze, Simmo, Yates, Tommy Johnson, Gabbiadini, Poom, Wanschope, Sturridge the list goes on. 

I'm really enjoying this thread! My first time at BBG was in 1951! I can't remember a thing about it! Over the years , finance, travel, other family, meant my dad could only take me to 4 or 5 games a season, so I must have seen many of the players you mention . Although always a Ram at heart, these last 10 years have been the most times I get to matches in a season. Realised this isn't much to do with the topic but just wanted to say it,

P.S. My dad's mates all said he was mad bothering to take a girl to football. Perhaps they were right as I remember so little!

I'm really enjoying this thread! My first time at BBG was in 1951! I can't remember a thing about it! Over the years , finance, travel, other family, meant my dad could only take me to 4 or 5 games a season, so I must have seen many of the players you mention . Although always a Ram at heart, these last 10 years have been the most times I get to matches in a season. Realised this isn't much to do with the topic but just wanted to say it,

P.S. My dad's mates all said he was mad bothering to take a girl to football. Perhaps they were right as I remember so little!

What a range of footballing talent has been chosen on this thread. It has had the desired effect of bringing back some great memories, some long forgotten. Life is made of memories. I talked to a lady this week whose husband's short term memory is all but gone. He cannot remember what happened a minute ago. How sad..Football is all about opinions and there are some great insights on here.

Shilton

Brayford   Wright  Shackell  Buckley

Micklewhite  G Williams  Thorne  Reich

Saunders  Martin 

I was watching in the mid 80s for the Arthur Cox promotions, then came back to watching regularly around the same time as George Burley started so am not able to include Jim Smith premier league players like Poom, Stimac and Eranio as I didn't see them often enough. Reich may be a controversial pick, but I remember some games (including his debut) where it just looked like he could do anything. Similarly Thorne has been outstanding in a small sample so far.

Archived