The Best Eleven Players That I saw play live for Derby County

Rampage

I daren't say mine, my first ever game was in 2007. The team I'd complile would be embarrassing in comparison to some of the names being mentioned.

Got for it anyway tombo, We would probably want to be as young as you may be. You write some quality posts on here, so give us something that shows how good we had it decades ago.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shilton

Thomas.   Todd.   McFarland.  Nish
     Rioch.   Gemmill.  Eranio
       George.  Hector.  Lee

Subs:- .........Boulton, Poom, Webster, Stimac, Mackay, Robson, Baiano, Newton, Hinton, O'Hare, Davison, Asanovic, Saunders and about fifty others.

This got me thinking about my worst Derby eleven, jotted down Grenet, Bragstad and then had to stop.......... me twitch started up again!

1 Poom (Shilts close but can't forget John Harkes and Tim Breaker)

2 Mel Sage (unsung hero of a great team)

3 Chris Powell (class in defence & attack)

4 Daryl Powell (only just; sorry George Williams)

5 Mark Wright (ooh..)

6 Igor (born leader)

7 Eranio (amazing skill and vision)

8 Sturridge (Deano, Deano)

9 Saunders (for those at his debut at the BBG, it was never in doubt)

10 Wanchope ('...of the day' - Des Lynam 1998 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yFem0IlIc9o)

11 Bobby Davison (oooh Bobby Bobby) my first hero although I was gutted when we sold Kevin Wilson!

ok, so there's no balance in Midfield but we'd score enough and they'd have to rotate a bit ;-)

best team I saw live - 1986-1987. Closely followed by 1988-1989 and then 1997-1998. Which means we're well overdue another. In theory it should've been 2007... Oh wait a minute.

Wow....disco darryl the BEST midfielder you have seen..???

looking at your list you are about my age...and Powell wouldn't be in my top 50 midfielders I have seen playing for us....!! 

Got for it anyway tombo, We would probably want to be as young as you may be. You write some quality posts on here, so give us something that shows how good we had it decades ago.

Grant

Wisdom, Barker, Buxton, Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes Bueno

Commons

Martin Bent

Diamond 4-4-2 was best fitting. Shows not only how good we had it decades ago but also how good we have it now, to have probably the best team we've had in about 10 years.

Since the best team in my memory is Jim Smith's Premier League side I'm going to have to try and fit a best 11 into a 3 at the back with wing backs as a dedication...

Poom

Laursen Stimac Higginbotham

Delap                                             Seth

Eranio

Biaino       Kinkladze

Wanchope

Slight lack of balance there and Delap and Seth basically in because they CAN play those positions...

Since the best team in my memory is Jim Smith's Premier League side I'm going to have to try and fit a best 11 into a 3 at the back with wing backs as a dedication...

Poom

Laursen Stimac Higginbotham

Delap                                             Seth

Eranio

Biaino       Kinkladze

Wanchope

Slight lack of balance there and Delap and Seth basically in because they CAN play those positions...

I am guessing the 85 in your name is the year you was born (great year btw) and I have to go for the same formation but with 11 players :lol:;

poom

Stimac McGrath Barker

Eranio                                          C.Powell

Carsley  VDL

Baino

Martin Wanchope

1281982_Derby_County.jpg

I've seen Gemmill and Hector, and by rights they should be in there ahead of Dean Saunders and George Thorne, but it was right at the end of their career and I'm ignoring the rule on that.

Thorne is a controversial one, as he's probably only played 20 games, but I love watching him play.

Tommy, Steve, or Darryl.......................please tell me it's not Barry Powell. 

Chris Powell!!

Kinkladze to me is a one in ten player,would not get in my Derby team this year,very hit and miss,he use to drive Jim smith mad at times.But football is all about,opinions.

I know what you're saying, and to be honest, if you asked me again tomorrow I'd come up with a side with 4 or 5 different players in it.

Stimac and Wright are given, also Eranio, but the other 8 spots are up for grabs.

1281982_Derby_County.jpg

I've seen Gemmill and Hector, and by rights they should be in there ahead of Dean Saunders and George Thorne, but it was right at the end of their career and I'm ignoring the rule on that.

Thorne is a controversial one, as he's probably only played 20 games, but I love watching him play.

Thanks for taking the thread to the next level, Needles. Excellent team mix there, exactly what I was hoping for. I would swap Georgi ,but obviously did not see the likes of Hector.

I go back to 1966 so obviously my team wouldn't differ much from the championship-winning sides of 1972 and 1975 but my favourites over the years have been Eddie Thomas, Dave Mackay, Charlie George, Gerry Daly, Dave Langan, Bobby Davison, Trevor Christie (for that penalty), Gary Micklewhite, Craig Ramage, Igor Stimac, Asanovic, Eranio, Biaino, Wanchope, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders, Paul Goddard, Paul McGrath, Steve Howard, Giles Barnes (shame about him), Idiakez, Raziak, Poom, Will Hughes. Out of all that lot, I would say Davison comes out top - somebody you could relate to as you followed your struggling team around the country.

I go back to 1966 so obviously my team wouldn't differ much from the championship-winning sides of 1972 and 1975 but my favourites over the years have been Eddie Thomas, Dave Mackay, Charlie George, Gerry Daly, Dave Langan, Bobby Davison, Trevor Christie (for that penalty), Gary Micklewhite, Craig Ramage, Igor Stimac, Asanovic, Eranio, Biaino, Wanchope, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders, Paul Goddard, Paul McGrath, Steve Howard, Giles Barnes (shame about him), Idiakez, Raziak, Poom, Will Hughes. Out of all that lot, I would say Davison comes out top - somebody you could relate to as you followed your struggling team around the country.

Eddie Thomas was my first proper watched live Derby hero (Jackie Stamps and Reg Harrison were friends of the family, so to speak) - until the day Zak scored that wonder goal in his home debut against Huddersfield, and a star was born.

Archived