The Best Eleven Players That I saw play live for Derby County

Rampage

Some of us have been watching Derby County play for a very long time. This bit of fun is not to name the best eleven players that DCFC ever had but  those but that you saw play live at games . Your team will be a composite of players from over the years, they do not have to have played together.So you can have Colin Todd and Chris Martin in the same team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question Bridgford Ram. I think it has to be a player that you SAW play for DCFC and he can be included only form his playing days form at Derby, even if he wasn't in his prime for Derby when you saw him.So if he had been better at Derby and had declined when you saw him at Derby that is ok. You can not assess them if you saw them play for Derby on their performances after or prior to coming to Derby. So Include Franny Lee on his Derby performances only, even if he was not in his best form at Derby when you saw him. His performances at Man City do not count in this.

In short, how good they were at Derby, even if you did not see them at their best at Derby

Sorry if i'm being thick rampage - is it the best playert i have seen live in each position to make up a team (so GK, full backs etc) or the best 11 players i've seen live in any position so i might end up with 4 centre forwards for example?

Thanks, Hants

I have a tiger by the tail here!. It has to end us as a team, so four centre forwards is not ideal.

SO, if you want to do TWO teams!. Do this

1. The best team mixed from all the matches that you saw.

2. The best eleven players that you saw play for Derby live, which may have four centre forwards in it,.that is also fine, because it is fun to look back.COYR

Gk Peter Shilton

Rb Mel Sage

Cb Mark Wright

Cb Roy Macfarland

Lb Chris Powell/ Steve Buckley

Cm Eranio

Cm George Williams

Rm Gary Micklewhite

Lm Ted Mcminn

Cf Bobby Davison

Cf Dean Saunders

subs Poom,Stimac,W Hughes,Callahan,Wanchop,Buckley and Goddard.

Saunders

Asanović           Baiano           Eranio

Hughes            Carsley

Powell       Štimac        Wright      Laursen

Shilton

Subs - Poom, McGrath, M.Forsyth, Van Der Laan, Huddleston, Osman, Wanchope

Gk Peter Shilton

Rb Mel Sage

Cb Mark Wright

Cb Roy Macfarland

Lb Chris Powell/ Steve Buckley

Cm Eranio

Cm George Williams

Rm Gary Micklewhite

Lm Ted Mcminn

Cf Bobby Davison

Cf Dean Saunders

subs Poom,Stimac,W Hughes,Callahan,Wanchop,Buckley and Goddard.

Brings back a  few memories that does Derby blood. Igor Stimac as a sub, I hope that he does not see your post! Wanchope, a great delight!.

Saunders

Asanović           Baiano           Eranio

Hughes            Carsley

Powell       Štimac        Wright      Laursen

Shilton

Subs - Poom, McGrath, M.Forsyth, Van Der Laan, Huddleston, Osman, Wanchope

Cracking team, that Anon! i would pay to watch them.

Poom, Powell, Carbonari, Stimac, Brayford, Idiakez, Eranio, Kinkladze, Sturridge, Baiano, Strupar.

Subs: Grant, Riggot, Huddlestone, Hughes, Barnes, Wanchope, Martin 

1 Poom (Shilts close but can't forget John Harkes and Tim Breaker)

2 Mel Sage (unsung hero of a great team)

3 Chris Powell (class in defence & attack)

4 Daryl Powell (only just; sorry George Williams)

5 Mark Wright (ooh..)

6 Igor (born leader)

7 Eranio (amazing skill and vision)

8 Sturridge (Deano, Deano)

9 Saunders (for those at his debut at the BBG, it was never in doubt)

10 Wanchope ('...of the day' - Des Lynam 1998 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yFem0IlIc9o)

11 Bobby Davison (oooh Bobby Bobby) my first hero although I was gutted when we sold Kevin Wilson!

ok, so there's no balance in Midfield but we'd score enough and they'd have to rotate a bit ;-)

best team I saw live - 1986-1987. Closely followed by 1988-1989 and then 1997-1998. Which means we're well overdue another. In theory it should've been 2007... Oh wait a minute.

With you mentioning ' Bobby' for 'Bobby Davison'. It raises an interesting question of how many ex- Derby players are still recognisable by only their first name. This is always a sign of legendary or cult status. Another set are instantly recognisable by their nickname.

Brings back a  few memories that does Derby blood. Igor Stimac as a sub, I hope that he does not see your post! Wanchope, a great delight!.

started watching Derby in 1979 ,so had to pick Roy Mac as of 8 years old he was my hero,and Mark Wright was just class,but yes to leave out Stimac was my hardest choice.Also leaving out Wanchope was tough,and again Bobby Davison was and still is one of my all time greats,as was Deano,that debut when he scored twice against Wimbledon,and the whole of the baseball ground stood and chanted Deano Deano,it still sends shivers down my spine,great days those under Mr cox.Hope they return soon.

We have had some great players that is for sure.Igor is certain that he was Derby's best ever player. When he arrived, Maclaren told him that we could not lose more than six more games. Igor replied, "How are we going to lose six more games?"

Archived