Managing expectation 15/16

Gypsy Ram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me top 6 would be acceptable.

It's interesting to see the managers' expectations from this year and last, PC has said his aim is top 2, SM said the aim was play offs. We just missed out on the Play offs and had no consolation, if we just miss out on automatic place we will have the consolation of a play off place.

I would personally be happy with a play-off place, however I think we have to aim for automatics. Year-on-year improvement is, as many have already said, a must. Up until the last few weeks of last season we were challenging in and around the automatics all season, I'd like to see us in the mix again, although I realise with a new Head Coach and many new faces it could take time for everyone to gel. 

Top 2 has to be the expectation with this level of investment... Previously we've done well bringing in good 'unfancied' players but we're stepping up our game this summer with some big acquisitions...

Can see us being like Leicester of a few years back though... Spend loads... 'almost there'... then storm the league in 2 seasons time...

Unless the last 2 years WERE our 'almost there'... :ph34r:

When Clement joined I remember posting about having patience, giving Clement time and going into the season with no expectations, bring back that feel good factor to the club like McClaren's first season.

It's getting harder to contain expectations when the club go and sign Bent and Weimann and are then looking to bring in Bridcutt, Shackell and Ince, if we pull those 3 off (oooh err!) I'm going to be pretty excited, we will have a squad that is more than capable of getting promoted as long as we hold on to key players at the club already.

Saying automatics is the expectation is a bit disrespectful to the rest of the league tho, it's not going to be as easy as turning up each week, we will be one of the teams to beat. Burnley, Boro and Hull will be no push overs either and it will be interesting to see how QPR rebuild. 

Promotion is clearly the target, with the money spent play offs is looking more and more like the minimum although if we just miss out again I won't be calling for Clements head. 

Having been there and heard first hand about "the Derby way" and our philosophy I'am expecting to be entertained....

mel.thumb.png.92334e48a214867d4244bd2e49

Champions

FA Cup winner

League Cup winner

Brian Clough trophy back

Breaking Reading record

Break new record of scoring 100 League goals

That's about it.

:D

I think we are often a little too nice as Derby fans.

For the most part I like this, we have a good following and don't tend to have a bad reputation amongst other fans for the way we follow our side.

However, for the first time in a very long time we genuinely have one of the best squads in the league we are competing, if not the best. We should be demanding a higher finish than 8th, we should be expecting this side to challenge for automatic promotion, and that isn't to say that if we don't come in the top 2 then its a disaster, it's not, but we must be realistic. The squad we have now especially going forward has to be one of if not the strongest squad in the Championship before a ball has been kicked. Our defence needs sorting, but as a minimum, as fans, we should expect this squad to get out of this league. That isn't unreasonable.

That's the difficult thing, the amount we've invested. I only want us to compete but we're looking like putting serious money into this and it's hard to accept not getting top 2 when this amount of money is put in. We've invested more than I thought we would or even should have done I guess...

It's positive we're signing good players and building a bigger, more talented squad but that will never guarentee promotion.  Cardiff, Fulham, Fo**st, Wigan & Brighton all had strong squads, tipped to push for promotion and failed.  How many people singled out Bournemouth for the top two???  Having said that, with the investment and a world renowned coach you'd have to say top six is the bare minimum you'd hope for.

I'd be -

:D with top two

:) with play offs

:angry: with anywhere else

Did anyone expect us to storm the league last season? Am not quite sure where you got that from.

With the amount of money we are spending both on players and wages coupled with the fact that we already had a strong squad of players, automatics have to be the target.

No play-offs and Clement will rightly have his P45. Anybody with even the slightest management experience could lead this group to a play-off place.

It looked for all the world at the turn of the year we'd go up automatically. Before the... unpleasantness...

Cannot believe that Clement would have spoken to the Board and everyone agreed they would potentially be happy with playing nice football and just missing out on the playoffs.  

Based on the investment it suggests a promotion push to try and reach the really big money next season...got to be playoffs as minimum.

What ruined last season was all the moaning that we weren't turning up and destroying teams. Even when playing well and getting points there was constant moaning. All that "would we survive the PL" *****.

If people think we're going to dominate from start to finish they need to get that out their heads.

There will be bad patches or at least a bad patch. We will drop points to teams "we should be beating if we want to go up". We will concede terrible goals (and score them too but nobody gets the microscope on goals we score). We will struggle in matches against other top sides. 

There will be times we can't find a way through and get punished. There will be times players drop out of form. 

It happens to everyone. 

I just hope when we winning we don't have to endure the "how would we do in the PL" stuff. Who cares? Why does it matter? 

I hope when we're losing its not all totally disrespectful to other teams and all about no plan b or down to one awful, not fit to wear the shirt (still better than Pearson, Savage, Anderson...) player. 

We're not Chelsea. And even they lose games. I hope people keep perspective of what we are. We finished 3rd and 8th. Why expect to finish with 110pts? Because we brought in Darren Bent and Alex Pearce? 

Just hope people manage expectations this time around. Be happy if we play well and beat Rotherham 1-0. Enjoy what you can, while you can. 

And don't start jeering someone who is a hell of a lot better than most of the garbage we've been cheering for the last 10 years.

I expect we're in the play off/promotion battle and playing good football. Any further expectation will change as the season goes on. 

Promotion as anything else would be a failure.

We got rid of arguably the best coach we have had for donkies years because of what? And for many on here we have brought in a super coach! - But with all the hype of Clement comes expectations....

We have bought a new spine of the team, which is very positive and need to build on this....

For me, we still need two centre backs, that fit into our football style, and we still need Tom Ince!

Last season the lack of quality in our squad players cost us promotion, it was nothing to do with the toons, but simply when we took so many injuries from March onwards, we had no quality players to bring in, this did also prove we were not good enough to go up.

Now bring in better players should mean we should be able to get to the next level.

The new coach will be judged on results.

My expectations are high!

The thread title is "managing expectation". We don't have to manage expectation, PC has to manage expectation - that's his job.

I expect us to be in the top 6.

PC has said the aim is promotion.

PC has to prepare the players to play how he wants them to, he has to prepare them to keep possession when us fans are screaming for them to hoof it forward, prepare them to stay focused on what they've done on the training ground all week and not be swayed by 30,000 experts on a saturday.

Professional footballers should embrace the expectation and the head coach should be brave enough to stick to his belief of how he wants to play.

All we have to do is expect good football and be prepared to get behind the team when its not working quite as well as we'd like.

We've got the easy job!

What ruined last season was all the moaning that we weren't turning up and destroying teams. Even when playing well and getting points there was constant moaning. All that "would we survive the PL" *****.

If people think we're going to dominate from start to finish they need to get that out their heads.

There will be bad patches or at least a bad patch. We will drop points to teams "we should be beating if we want to go up". We will concede terrible goals (and score them too but nobody gets the microscope on goals we score). We will struggle in matches against other top sides. 

There will be times we can't find a way through and get punished. There will be times players drop out of form. 

It happens to everyone. 

I just hope when we winning we don't have to endure the "how would we do in the PL" stuff. Who cares? Why does it matter? 

I hope when we're losing its not all totally disrespectful to other teams and all about no plan b or down to one awful, not fit to wear the shirt (still better than Pearson, Savage, Anderson...) player. 

We're not Chelsea. And even they lose games. I hope people keep perspective of what we are. We finished 3rd and 8th. Why expect to finish with 110pts? Because we brought in Darren Bent and Alex Pearce? 

Just hope people manage expectations this time around. Be happy if we play well and beat Rotherham 1-0. Enjoy what you can, while you can. 

And don't start jeering someone who is a hell of a lot better than most of the garbage we've been cheering for the last 10 years.

I expect we're in the play off/promotion battle and playing good football. Any further expectation will change as the season goes on. 

Seriously tho which players in our squad do you think are Premier League quality?

Seriously tho which players in our squad do you think are Premier League quality?

i know the question is targeted at Alpha Signia, but before the second half of last season I really thought Hughes, Hendrick, Russle, keogh, Martin, Bryson and Fozzy could have made the step up. 

Now I only think Hughes could and maybe Martin and Keogh with him.

I think our expectations, despite the improvements, is more modest compared to last season.  

Last Season acted as a wake up call for some. 

I hope we have our feet firmly planted on the ground and we get behind the team and the coaching staff (until at least Christmas).  

Keogh, Forsyth, Hughes, Weimann, Bent, Martin for sure IMO.

Possibly also Albentosa, Thorne, Hendrick, Carson, Baird, Bryson and Russell. Certainly wouldn't say they'll never be Premier League quality.

Also if they come in, Shackell and Ince.

Archived