Managing expectation 15/16

Gypsy Ram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh, Forsyth, Hughes, Weimann, Bent, Martin for sure IMO.

Possibly also Albentosa, Thorne, Hendrick, Carson, Baird, Bryson and Russell. Certainly wouldn't say they'll never be Premier League quality.

Also if they come in, Shackell and Ince.

Wasn't a serious question, piggy backed off Alpha's Premier League rant

What ruined last season was all the moaning that we weren't turning up and destroying teams. Even when playing well and getting points there was constant moaning. All that "would we survive the PL" *****.

If people think we're going to dominate from start to finish they need to get that out their heads.

There will be bad patches or at least a bad patch. We will drop points to teams "we should be beating if we want to go up". We will concede terrible goals (and score them too but nobody gets the microscope on goals we score). We will struggle in matches against other top sides. 

There will be times we can't find a way through and get punished. There will be times players drop out of form. 

It happens to everyone. 

I just hope when we winning we don't have to endure the "how would we do in the PL" stuff. Who cares? Why does it matter? 

I hope when we're losing its not all totally disrespectful to other teams and all about no plan b or down to one awful, not fit to wear the shirt (still better than Pearson, Savage, Anderson...) player. 

We're not Chelsea. And even they lose games. I hope people keep perspective of what we are. We finished 3rd and 8th. Why expect to finish with 110pts? Because we brought in Darren Bent and Alex Pearce? 

Just hope people manage expectations this time around. Be happy if we play well and beat Rotherham 1-0. Enjoy what you can, while you can. 

And don't start jeering someone who is a hell of a lot better than most of the garbage we've been cheering for the last 10 years.

I expect we're in the play off/promotion battle and playing good football. Any further expectation will change as the season goes on. 

I think you worry too much about the fans.

We have the President and CEO of the club publicly tweeting about a ‘minimum expectation’ of top 6. We have a new HC, in his first ever HC job, publicly talking about the target being top 2 and promotion.

There’s a lot of changes taking place this summer so maybe we should criticise those two for ramping up fans expectations and piling the pressure on what might be a difficult transitional season.

Seriously tho which players in our squad do you think are Premier League quality?

Apart from Buxton you mean?

Hughes

Bryson

Martin

Bent

Those five could easily play in the prem in a formation that suits them.

Weimann and Carson are classed as prem so thats seven.

Hendrick has the attributes and skill to play there with a bit more concentration and positional intelligence.

Eight!

Johnny Russell as an impact sub as a 2nd striker in a 442 would stretch defences late on.

Nine!

I have a sneaky little feeling about Dawks. If a head coach could use his neat footwork and ability to hold the ball in dangerous positions then he could make it.

Ten!

Depends on where you draw the line as a Premier League player? There's loads of **** players at that level. 

Every footballer better than Shotton in our side should be good enough in the Premier League, as he was for so many years. 

Stand out players in the Premier League, that's another matter altogether.

It just leads to a sense of entitlement. Then comes the booing and abuse when we aren't rolling every team over. 

The aim should be top 2. But people seem to think if the aim is top 2 then the majority of the season will be plain sailing as if ww're Chelsea of the Championship.

Last season when things were going well we still had players being booed and jeered. Abuse sent on twitter. Er, we're well on target for our objective?

Wins weren't winnier enough. Draws weren't good enough and defeats lead to hostility as if we shouldn't be losing any games if we're serious about the top 2. 

Archived