Number 1

Day

You are my number 1  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shirt is/was Grant's to lose. He lost it for me at the end of the season. We played really well against Wolves (away) and lost due to piss poor goalkeeping. The defending wasn't great by any means but that's what your keepers get paid for! When something does get through the defence, deal with it. Dont punch it into your own net or let it go right under you. 

Now it is time for Carson - the shirt is his until injury or bad form dictate that a change is necessary. I only remember his Euro error but for him to get called up for England he must have had something about him as well as playing at the top level for a long time. 

How is he meant to show he's put bad form behind him if he doesn't play? 

​The original question was "who would be your No 1 for the first game of the season?" - Grant in all likelihood still has a future at Derby unless he throws a wobbly over the signing of Carson.

I'd go for Lee Grant all the way. Clearly something happened to him at the end of last season, but for the full season and a half before that for us he played very well for us, and I think he can recapture that form.

Carson I think is too error prone generally, and his signing confuses me a bit. I'd only sign a new goalkeeper if we were looking for a long term replacement for Lee Grant for the Premier League. Scott Carson is not a Premier League first choice goalkeeper.

How long do you give him to put his bad form behind him?? Another 6 months?? 

​He just needs 20 minutes on the naughty step.

I'd go for Lee Grant all the way. Clearly something happened to him at the end of last season, but for the full season and a half before that for us he played very well for us, and I think he can recapture that form.

Carson I think is too error prone generally, and his signing confuses me a bit. I'd only sign a new goalkeeper if we were looking for a long term replacement for Lee Grant for the Premier League. Scott Carson is not a Premier League first choice goalkeeper.

​For four seasons he was, six if you include the Turkish premier league.

Grant should have been left out with 6 games to go. Weakness on McClaren's part.

I agree, but perhaps Mac was scarred by history bringing in a young keeper for important games. Any mistake could seriously harm any keeper's career.  Who was that Lad he brought in for the big Euros game in 2008? Had to go off in the end and rebuild his career in Turkey. Shame really as he had some potential.

Shocked Daveo started a thread called number 1 and it's not about toilet habits.

​Well, Grant took the p1ss a few times towards the end of the season...

I think it will be good for Granty to have some genuine competition in Carson which will hopefully push him to the level of form he showed previously at Burnley, as lets be honest Roos was never likely to start a League game least season,

Grant to start a no1 for now. Carson in if things don't improve.

Got to start Carson mainly because Grant was so woeful at the back end of last season..

​And it's completely impossible that a player can recover from a blip in form?

I really don't understand these calls for Grant to be dropped. Towards the back end of the season, nearly every player in the team underperformed! When the rest of your teammates are failing, it's ridiculous to blame Grant for his bad form, especially when the defence in front of him was dire!

A blip in form does not constitute a bad player. Grant, for the most part, has played brilliantly for us. I'm not making comments like: 'got to start Grant because Carson let a howler in for England that one time'...

With a good pre-season and a renewed sense of confidence, Grant is as good as any keeper in this league and I think he'll prove a lot of people wrong come August.

Clement is trying to get a squad together that could stand a chance in the Premiership.For me the way to do that is to have six or eight players with Premiership experience in the side. I am reminded that Leicester City had a major meltdown a couple of seasons ago in their last dozen matches but manged to turn it around in the following campaign to get automatic.promotion.I cannot remember if that was the season after losing in the play offs. How similar a scenario was that to ours last season? Bent, Carson, Weimann all have Premier experience in abundance.Not folding under pressure is what we need this year, combined with grinding out points from rivals when perhaps they have dominated possession. I think that Clement will address issues very quickly when they are not going to plan.Whichever goalkeeper does not perform will soon find himself being dropped.

Archived