Number 1

Day

You are my number 1  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

​Don't be daft, they need weekly 1-2-1's and business coaching apparently (and to be left in the team). 

Possibly the downfall of our last three managers 

Edited: the concept of flogging a dead horse,  loyalty etc 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Or you could just threaten the players then punish them when the inevitable happens.

That'll work.

It's somewhere in between in my opinion. Playing with fear never works, and that's something I Amartya (no, I'm leaving it) always criticised Nigel Clough for, sending a team out that were scared to play. 

Trying to be fair here, if you know a bad performance is out of character, then the right thing to do is show some support to that character, but, if your support shows no benefit, you have to make a tough call. That is the difference between the good and great managers. Like Fergie dropping Leighton for the replay in 1990.  

It's somewhere in between in my opinion. Playing with fear never works, and that's something I Amartya (no, I'm leaving it) always criticised Nigel Clough for, sending a team out that were scared to play. 

Trying to be fair here, if you know a bad performance is out of character, then the right thing to do is show some support to that character, but, if your support shows no benefit, you have to make a tough call. That is the difference between the good and great managers. Like Fergie dropping Leighton for the replay in 1990.  

​Which, I believe, is what I said.

Dinoflagellate (no, I'm leaving it,  I tried to type "simply")

Simply, pick your best team, and if your best team doesn't include a specific plague (no, I'm leaving it), player cos you've lost faith in him,  so be it.  

Does leaving incorrect words in a sentence represent leaving under performing players in a football team? Is this some kind of poem?

A manager/head coach should know who is the best keeper.

He should pick the best keeper and stick with him unless he's injured. You can't arse about with goalies, they need the confidence of the management and the players. 

The only problem is when the manager and players don't agree who's the best........

Does leaving incorrect words in a sentence represent leaving under performing players in a football team? Is this some kind of poem?

That's the downside of intelligence @StringerBell, you're looking for the clever hidden meaning, whereas I just assume Mostyns pissed!

Scott Carson started this season as Wigan's number one after being their second choice last season.

He went on to lose his place before partly  regaining it at the end of the season before he was once again dropped for the last game of the season.

He was outperformed in every way by Grant last season; Grant made a lot more saves, conceded less, was far more commanding of his area...etc

I think people are in for shock. 

​Are these credible stats or your opinion? How was Grant far more commanding in his area against Carson? I would love to see the evidence of this because in my opinion, this is a weakness of Grants and an area of the game that young Roos out performs him on.

​Are these credible stats or your opinion? How was Grant far more commanding in his area against Carson? I would love to see the evidence of this because in my opinion, this is a weakness of Grants and an area of the game that young Roos out performs him on.

​Credible stats.

On the commanding of his area, based on 'claims':

Grant: 1.08 total high claims per game, with 1.05 good. 97.22% accuracy.
Carson: 0.91 high claims per game, with 0.85 good. 93.40% accuracy.

Grant tries to claim more (which is still relatively quite low) and with greater accuracy.

One keeper that excels in this area, funnily enough, is Darlow:
Darlow: 2.1 total high claims per game, with 2.02 good. 96.95% accuracy. 

If you read what Wigan fans biggest gripe with Carson is, it's his 'flapping', which is backed by the stats.

​Credible stats.

Grant tries to claim more (which is still relatively quite low) and with greater accuracy.

If you read what Wigan fans biggest gripe with Carson is, it's his 'flapping', which is backed by the stats.

​Thanks for the info. Commanding an area does seem to be an art that is disappearing. Hopefully we keep Eric Steele and he improves this part of Carson's game. He certainly got Grant to improve before he went into regress mode.

​Credible stats.

How many flaps per game. 

Archived