Defensive midfielder

Gritty

Looking through the squad I think the one position we are weak in squad depth is defensive midfield although we don't seem to be linked with any players in that position.

We have Thorne but he has a worrying injury record (in his career, he has played fewer games than Derby could play next season including cups). And even if he does stay fit, there will be times where he needs resting given 2 games a week.

Hanson looks a good prospect. Really hope we give him some games in cups. But we can't rely on him to cover for Thorne yet given lack of experience.

Eustace and Omar gone. We have that ex Chelsea guy in the development squad but nothing much been heard about him so assume he's not yet ready?

So the above makes me think we must be looking for a good player at defensive midfield. We haven't been linked with anyone yet.

I'd like Barton but I suspect he'll end up at West Ham or a Prem club. Any other options out there we think we could get?

Don't want a youngster from a Prem club. We might as well play Hanson if we go down that route. Need someone with experience.

huddlestone would be ideal but we have no hope of getting him.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming PC wants to play with a defensive Mid.

​He may not, but we need at least one experienced ball winning midfielder whether as a CDM or CM, as we just don't have that option if Thorne isn't fit. 

We can't get by with a midfield of Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson they just aren't able to take control of the game and they get overrun easily. 

It does all depend on the formation. If we're not using the position regularly we could probably get away with a combination of Thorne, Hughes, Hanson and Ssewankambo. If we are going to play 433 we'll need another proper one. We may even play 4231, which will certainly necessitate another defensive midfielder coming in. The ideal for  me would be Rohan Ince from Brighton.

I honestly don't get what everyone sees in Barton. 

5 years ago? decent player. A support player. Moved the ball quite well and quite quick. Decent engine. 

Now? The engine is not so good. The passes are sideways. 

His image of being hard comes from all the bravado and . Not from being a beast to get past. Not even at this level was he an authority.

He's a big name but when was the last time someone watched him and thought he's really took the bull by the horns? That's what I keep wanting to know whenever I see his name. What does he do that Jeff Hendrick can't apart from shove a few people and argue with a few people... All after the ball has stopped moving. Which is pointless.  

With so many people mentioning him I'm wondering now if I'm missing something. 

Like Savage. He'd go off chasing the ball among the opposition back 4 and they'd lazily pass it around him. People applauded him!! Literally, a dog would do that. What else did he do? Sideways passes and soft tackles. But he waved a scarf, mouthed off a bit and did some bravado all after the whistle had gone and some folk loved him. 

Me thinks there is a Johnny Foreigner in mind. If not maybe Bridcutt at Sunderland will be given the opportunity to rediscover his mojo under Clement. I think the Barton ship sailed when MacLaren went up north.

I honestly don't get what everyone sees in Barton. 

5 years ago? decent player. A support player. Moved the ball quite well and quite quick. Decent engine. 

Now? The engine is not so good. The passes are sideways. 

His image of being hard comes from all the bravado and . Not from being a beast to get past. Not even at this level was he an authority.

He's a big name but when was the last time someone watched him and thought he's really took the bull by the horns? That's what I keep wanting to know whenever I see his name. What does he do that Jeff Hendrick can't apart from shove a few people and argue with a few people... All after the ball has stopped moving. Which is pointless.  

With so many people mentioning him I'm wondering now if I'm missing something. 

Like Savage. He'd go off chasing the ball among the opposition back 4 and they'd lazily pass it around him. People applauded him!! Literally, a dog would do that. What else did he do? Sideways passes and soft tackles. But he waved a scarf, mouthed off a bit and did some bravado all after the whistle had gone and some folk loved him. 

13/14 season. Away to QPR. He was best player on pitch by a country mile.

It does all depend on the formation. If we're not using the position regularly we could probably get away with a combination of Thorne, Hughes, Hanson and Ssewankambo. If we are going to play 433 we'll need another proper one. We may even play 4231, which will certainly necessitate another defensive midfielder coming in. The ideal for  me would be Rohan Ince from Brighton.

​Hanson and Ssewankambo?

Hanson usually plays CB for the U21s. Ssewankambo is a RB.  Why would we throw two kids into a Championship game in a position they are not familiar? It's a recipe for failure.

​Hanson and Ssewankambo?

Hanson usually plays CB for the U21s. Ssewankambo is a RB.  Why would we throw two kids into a Championship game in a position they are not familiar? It's a recipe for failure.

​Hanson played two first team games last season as holding midfielder and was pretty good. He's also played the position for England U20. He's fine as occasional cover.

Ssewankambo has played a full season of top flight football in Holland - with several appearances in midfield. He was bought as a first team squad member. Unfortunately, he got a serious injury in his first U21 game, which pretty much ended his season.

I wasn't suggesting that either Hanson or Ssewankambo play regularly there but they could provide cover for the bench and the occasional match.

It's quite funny that people seem to think we should sign players in order of priority.

The amount of daft ******** that have said: 'I'm not sure we need Weimann/Ince/Bent, it's the defence we need to sort out' and 'I'm worried the defence isn't being sorted out' is in the 100s.

We've got two months left until the season kicks off - three months just shy of the transfer window being open. 

I swear to god I've met blocks of cheese with more common sense that some Derby fans.

Archived