Women's World Cup

eustonstation

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tough defeat, and an extremely unlucky way to exit the tournament.

That said, they were thoroughly outplayed by Norway and fortunate to beat Canada so swings and roundabouts I guess.

It was cruel because after edging through those games you mentioned they finally played as they can. England, semi finals and luck aren't a good combination.

Well, that was quite possibly the cruelest thing I've seen in football. Maybe even sport. Outplayed the Japanese for the whole second half, hit the bar three times, then the flukiest own goal knocks you out.

Feel for the bassett lass, hope she picks herself up. If that was me I'd be wanting to quit football right now.

Ah well, was a good game. Made the Japanese look average although they've rarely looked like this 'force' they're pitched as in this competition. Seem to be relying heavily on fortune and mistakes.

Is it cruel to say that relying on mistakes is a viable strategy in women's football. 

Mad long as you don't make any yourself, there's a fair bet the opposition will make one eventually. 

Pearce mentioned thag in commentary. Japan could pass it around a bit, but didn't really have anything in the final third. They were relying on a mistake, and it came. 

They definitely didn't look anything special at all though. Except that girl that came on towards the end, should've been in from the start for them. 

Enjoyed the match up till 92nd minute. thought we looked a bit one-dimensional lumping it up to Jodie Taylor at times and Toni Duggan was very frustrating first half when she kept trying to dribble through swarms of blue and fluourescent pink. But when we pressed we were good and were more than holding our own.

Liked us even more when we switched Jill Scott into the centre and brought Ellen White on. Thought the Scott header from corner was in and was out of my chair briefly. Ah well.

Absolute tragedy for the girls but they have shown they can play. Like Sampsons coaching - think he has done a good job. Hope there's a new young generation inspired and I'd like to see him give all the others a game against Germany to make it a true squad effort. We haven't seen Fran Kirby aka "mini-messi" since the Mexico match.

The Lionesses are taking on ze Germans (die Mannschaft) ko 9pm.

A chance for redemption for Laura Bassett and some extra spice in that we have never ever beaten Germany in womens football.

Fur die Mannschaft, well its their coaches last match and they have never lost 2 competitive matches in a row.

I shall be cheering the ladies on.

England doing well. Good on em. But something happened that led me to a footballing question. 

If the goalkeeper makes a save and keeps hold of the ball, but injures him/herself. Isn't the ball still technically in play. If the keeper keeps hold of the ball while they receive treatment, shouldn't they be booked for wasting time, and the opposition get an indirect free kick for obstruction. If it happened to any other player, and they just sat on the ball, that wouldn't be allowed, they'd have to kick it out. 

Just got me wondering, tis all. 

I also thought england might have scored a winner whilst I was typing this out. Missed loads of chances. 

Great to see the lionesses put their semi final heartbreak behind them and actually shut out the tournament top scorers.

If Scott had a left foot then might not have needed extra time. We created some good stuff in the second half. 

The german girl in the mask was a right one. She needed a slap. 

There was the usual claptrap from the pundits about "changing the women's game in Britain ". And no sign of sepp. 

Well done steph houghton and squad.

so what time do you want the Canadians to watch live .

Sorry, i know this, I meant if the games were on at this time, i'm not suggesting anything could have been done about. It's just unfortunate that an inspiring achievement won't have been watched by the people who need inspiring.

Edited original post to imply that I do understand time zones. :ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry, i know this, I meant if the games were on at this time, i'm not suggesting anything could have been done about. It's just unfortunate that an inspiring achievement won't have been watched by the people who need inspiring.

Edited original post to imply that I do understand time zones. :ph34r::ph34r:

Hopefully the girls can see some highlights. And there may be some more exposure at end of year in the Sports Review thingy - they should be in with a shout of Team of the Year (depending on Ashes and Rugby World Cup outcomes)

would like the americans to win, not cus japan knocked us out, but the asians aren't half cocky ********, thought the coach was disrespectufl to england considering they hardly dominated us did they? and a few of the players seem a bit full of themselves

Archived