Women's World Cup

eustonstation

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

brilliant watch last night. 

The goalkeeper getting that eye injury was a blessing in disguise. Watched a few of the games so far and her individual errors have allowed 3 goals. 

Our coach Sampson has changed personnel in every position except the goalie. Cannot for the life of me see why he has persisted with her.

The headline of the tournament so far for me was in the twittersphere today. "nobbs out!" I was just about to pen an outraged contribution when i realised it was referring to Jordan Nobbs' hamstring injury.

Brilliant to see the Lionesses doing well having been written off by all and sundry. Not convinced by Trevor Sinclairs punditry tho.

We are a right load of sexist pigs though are we not :unsure:

Being sexist would be to suggest that France should have got through against Germany because it was a team full of lookers against the rejects from the Battersea Dogs Home. 

That Necib though, yowzer.....:wub:

Being sexist would be to suggest that France should have got through against Germany because it was a team full of lookers against the rejects from the Battersea Dogs Home. 

As my American friend's pointed out to me earlier the English ladies are dogs compared to some of the others, Necid a good example. Although some of the English asses are the best in the competition.

It's not sexism, it's just noticing the things naturally built into them by evolution to make us attracted to them. Science, people!

Bris,

Have you ever heard of something called national pride?

You say it's a great achievement, considering. Considering what exactly?

I'm sure I reminded you once but I'll remind you again...Snooker was responsible for some 18.5 million viewing figures some years ago.

Clearly you're giving your brain a rest today.

It's the first tournement in which they've ever won a knockout game, and for a team which isn't even ranked top five it's a great achievement they've made it to the semi-finals.

But national pride? I've heard of it, I just don't understand it that's all. 

I'm not so narrow-minded or incorrect to think that women shouldn't play football, but to me just watching it, it doesn't represent the same sport as the one I's so used to watching.

I just think there a few aspects of the women's game which makes it hard to appreciate, such as the goalkeeping. It's just strange to see how most of them can't cover the angles, not through lack of ability but physically.

That second England goal would never happen in the men's game as every goalkeeper can touch the crossbar and would just catch the header.

So many goals have been scored at the women's WC through situations that don't exist in men's football, or at least not on a frequent basis.

Still, I have been tracking it and don't have anything against England doing well. Good on them.

It's the first tournement in which they've ever won a knockout game, and for a team which isn't even ranked top five it's a great achievement they've made it to the semi-finals.

I'm not so narrow-minded or incorrect to think that women shouldn't play football, but to me just watching it, it doesn't represent the same sport as the one I's so used to watching.

I just think there a few aspects of the women's game which makes it hard to appreciate, such as the goalkeeping. It's just strange to see how most of them can't cover the angles, not through lack of ability but physically.

That second England goal would never happen in the men's game as every goalkeeper can touch the crossbar and would just catch the header.

So many goals have been scored at the women's WC through situations that don't exist in men's football, or at least not on a frequent basis.

Still, I have been tracking it and don't have anything against England doing well. Good on them.

I agree

The sheer difference in size of the goalkeepers compared to Men's football is alarming. As you say, they just can't cover the goal to the amount we expect so shots placed more centrally that we'd expect a male goalkeeper to save are unstoppable in the women's game, under most circumstances.

It is a different game, and it's a little strange to follow. Football has developed in a way that plays to the strengths of male attributes, even the rules to a degree. I wouldn't know where to begin with suggestions but it would be improved by small changes to the basic rules/regulations that it currently has.

It makes me laugh more than it impresses me at the moment, but it's good enough to keep me warm until the season starts.

But why are you comparing it to the men's game?

It is Women's football. The rules may be the same but the game is completely different and should be appreciated for what it is. It would be unfair to compare it to the men's game.

Bris, may I ask you why you support Derby County? I'd like to press you on the national pride thing and am interested in your motives for supporting the club.

But why are you comparing it to the men's game?

It is Women's football. The rules may be the same but the game is completely different and should be appreciated for what it is. It would be unfair to compare it to the men's game.

Bris, may I ask you why you support Derby County? I'd like to press you on the national pride thing and am interested in your motives for supporting the club.

Support Derby through my Dad, who chose them ahead of Forest when he moved up from down South. I had very little say in the matter, wasn't by choice and I had that fan feeling long before I was even mature enough to make my own decisions.

I just don't get this pride thing. I think it's a word people throw about lightly and in some cases I feel it's quite condescending. 

Said the same when Andy Murray won Wimbledon and the Royal Wedding. I just don't get it, proud to be British because some guy won an individual tennis tournament and two humans most have never seen let alone met got married.

As my American friend's pointed out to me earlier the English ladies are dogs compared to some of the others, Necid a good example. Although some of the English asses are the best in the competition.

It's not sexism, it's just noticing the things naturally built into them by evolution to make us attracted to them. Science, people!

it's not sexist at all. This must be what it's like for women to watch normal football, don't fully understand it, but enjoy perving over the players. If women are allowed to ogle over toned bodies in tight shorts, and long for the next David Beckham underwear calendar, and support a country simply because they think the centre forward is a bit fit, then there's no reason we can't too. 

Support Derby through my Dad, who chose them ahead of Forest when he moved up from down South. I had very little say in the matter, wasn't by choice and I had that fan feeling long before I was even mature enough to make my own decisions.

I just don't get this pride thing. I think it's a word people throw about lightly and in some cases I feel it's quite condescending. 

Said the same when Andy Murray won Wimbledon and the Royal Wedding. I just don't get it, proud to be British because some guy won an individual tennis tournament and two humans most have never seen let alone met got married.

that's a view I had when I was rebellious in my 20's, similar to what my view on religion was. Now my views have changed. I'm not a fan of the jingoism involved in nationalism or religion, but It's about belonging to something, being part of a community and feeling like your part of something bigger. Especially when we are so tiny and insignificant in this universe, it's important to feel like your a part of something bigger. By being proud to be British, we can feel a part of the history, this huge institution which has a lot to be proud of (a lot not to be proud of too, but we always look back in our histories with rose tinted glasses and conveniently delete the less wholesome bits). 

Land that's important, because otherwise it's just every man for himself, and man can't exist like that. Man naturally gavitates into tribes, whether that be our, families, derby fans, British nationals, Catholics, whatever is most appropriate for the situation. As much as Europe pisses me off, I support Europe in the ryder cup. And if there was some sporting event of earth vs. Mars, I would support earth, and some sporting event of the Solar system vs. every other planetary system, I'd support our system.

Surely as an ex-pat, you'd want more of a connection to home, and embrace the chance to wear your England shirt with pride, and stay up late to hatch the footy, tiddlywinks, table tennis, whatever it may be. Or have we lost your soul entirely to the Mexicans?

i have a Peru shirt (looks like a can of red stripe), Peru are my second team through my wife. But I'll always support England first and foremost. And when I'm abroad, that longing to be part of my own tribe gets stronger, and I become even more proud of my Britishness. I'm happy to integrate in other cultures, but you never forget your home. 

Japan are 21/20 to win on SkyBet - going to be an interesting game. Japan have the players I've been most impressed with at the tournament. Quite small frames though compared to other teams, England gonna have to get physical.

Great achievement, considering.

Not quite sure why people have been jumping on the bandwagon, saying how proud they are etc.

Why are they proud? What are they proud of?

Not only was being born in England, a piece of land, down to sheer chance but they're proud of a group of women they've never met playing a sport (Women's football) which is about as popular as Snooker.

Oh dear,I know what that's all about.Didn't Spain or Mexico get through then? Thought not.

Not for me.

Nothing nice about her at all.

Its Alex Morgan or Laure Boulleau for me.

Even our own Toni Duggan would beat Necib in a beauty contest

Archived