Formation/Team

needles

The 4-3-3 is pretty nice.

The 4-4-2 would get absolutely crushed. No pace, play Bryso and Hendrick together (2 headless chickens) and leave poor old Cyrus Christie completely exposed. 

Bent should never, ever start for us. He should be the guy we throw on if a goal down after 60 minutes.

​Why would we ever want to start a player who scored 12 in 17, that would be stupid.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate putting systems in to numbers.

What's the difference between a '4231', with Hughes and Thorne in midfield, Martin in the hole and Bent up front, and a '442' or a '4411'?

What's the difference between a '4231', with Hughes and Thorne in midfield, Bryson given the freedom to run in behind and linking up with our lone-pivot Martin, and our current system?

If Barcelona use a '433' then why is Messi quite of found deep a lot of the time?

cant agree with people putting martin CAM. He is only dangerous in the box its not often at all he scores outside the box and he doesn't have blistering pace to make those surges into the box. I think if we want bent and martin we need 2 up top. i'll go for a 4-4-2 diamond.

Grant GK

Lowton/New RB/ Christie if i have to. Rb

Albentosa RCB

Buxton LCB

Forsyth LB

Thorne DM

Bryson AM (pressuming hughes is sold)

Ince/new winger RW

Russell LW

Martin ST

Bent ST

He may as well as he can't seem to play midfield consistently. 

​I think you have just described every Derby midfielder for about the last 10 years.

We could play 442, or 433, or 4231, or 532, or 343, or 4141, or 4411, or 424, or 4123, or 41212 or 3332 or 4321 we could play with wide men but then get overrun in the middle, we could play more in the middle of the park but have no width and leave our full backs exposed, we could play with one up front but then when we get he ball in the box no one is in there or the forward gets isolated, I haven't got a clue what I'm on about either, maybe I should just leave it to the manager who does it for a living.

Bent should never, ever start for us. He should be the guy we throw on if a goal down after 60 minutes.

​Because we've got a guy better than him, and it's difficult to see them playing well as a front two.

​12 goals in 13 starts certainly makes a case for starting Bent, and that was when the team was very much out of form.

Goals win games in the Championship so despite Martin being technically a better footballer than Bent, his goals could prove to be crucial.

Also, Martin and Bent have never played in the same team together when fit so how can you possibly say that they won't play well as a front 2?

​What about putting Ssewankambo aka "the forgotten man" out at right wing-back/full-back.

​Good point.  Would Ssewankambo have been around in Chelsea's youth set up when Clement was there?

I'd like to think that whatever we've come up with so far won't be close to what he comes up with for the first game of the season and that every senior player has a clean slate to impress...

Grant?

Richards?  Keogh  Pearce  Forsyth

Thorne

Weimann?  Hughes  Ince?

Martin

Bent

Subs:- (7 of) - Christie, Warnock, Albentosa, Roos, Bryson. Hendrick, Russell, Dawkins, Christie, Buxton, Shotton, Eustace, 

Presumably any additions would be deemed as improvements and would expect to play each week. Once you have added the likes of  Weimann, a right full back (Richards?), a central defensive midfielder (Bridcutt? + Eustace?),  Ince, and a goalkeeper; it becomes obvious that some players will be wanting to leave to get more regular football. Getting loans in would presumably be to replace players who were not performing as had been hoped. Also the chances of under 21 players getting a game would look slim.If I watched the videos of the last 13 matches, I would want five of my own players. I would get my own Captain and would want to be seen to have solved the defensive problems quickly.

Clement will want to be seen to have quickly solved the so called problems that  led to the very poor run in last year. That is 1) the team functions if Martin is out long term 2) the team functions if Thorne is out long term 3) the team functions if Hughes is out long term 4) The defence is coherent with determined replacements should some players under perform. Clement has strong links with Chelsea, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Paris St Germaine so I think that is where the loan players will come from.

Mel Morris is quite sensibly playing down promotion this year as he wants the team to stay up if we get promoted. This means that we have to have some Premier standard players already in the team and some premier standard loanees that we have agreed to buy if we get promoted.This is the year that we will spend what Clement thinks that he needs. Clement did not come here expecting to take two seasons to get promoted. He knows a lot about winning and has very little experience of not being successful. His positive attitude to getting promotion has already got players talking as if they expect and are expected to get promotion this season. I think that Clement will quickly move players on who are not giving their best or who are not deemed to be good enough.I think Clement feels that DCFC are 80% ready now and with a few players and some different tactics that he can win the league.We will see what happens.Morris is convinced that UNITY is the foundation and I suspect that Maclaren went for a reason related to that in some way.

​What about putting Ssewankambo aka "the forgotten man" out at right wing-back/full-back.

I'd put Christie there if we're playing 5 at the back. Relieves some of his defensive duties, which'd suit him down to the ground.

​12 goals in 13 starts certainly makes a case for starting Bent, and that was when the team was very much out of form.

Goals win games in the Championship so despite Martin being technically a better footballer than Bent, his goals could prove to be crucial.

Also, Martin and Bent have never played in the same team together when fit so how can you possibly say that they won't play well as a front 2?

​That's my opinion. Bent might score more goals, but Martin creates goals and can put in a shift defensively. 

We've seen several times that Martin doesn't fit in a front two.

Archived