Clement confirmed on 3yr deal

Cardifframs

Very pleased with this choice of new Head Coach. It's a brave, risky gamble but those who dare win. Well done Sam Rush & co (again) for pulling this off and having the balls to do it.

I am very optimistic about PC at Derby and I will admit I do expect success (promotion) under his tenure. Although I don't expect it this season. If we do, then fantastic but this season to be challenging and for him to show us he's got what it takes would be great.

Welcome to Derby, Paul.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Fixed it for you

​Difference being Phil Brown was the number two at Bolton. A lot of those mentioned were assistants at top clubs.

In Europe, appointing an assistant is the norm, even for big clubs. I don't get how or why people pigeon hole certain people. We're asking a coach to become head coach. It's not that big of a jump at all.

90% of the top managers over the past two years started in coaching then went on to management. The only time it doesn't work like that is when you've got a playing reputation to fall back on. 

Big difference here:

After leaving his job as a school coach, Mourinho looked for a path into professional management in his hometown and became youth team coach at Vitória de Setúbal in the early 1990s. Later he accepted the position of assistant manager at Estrela da Amadora

to

During his time at Celtic, Keane was suggested as a potential managerial successor to Gordon Strachan by former Celtic player Charlie Nicholas.[82] However, it wasChampionship club Sunderland where Keane chose to launch his managerial career, re-uniting him with the club's chairman and outgoing manager, Niall Quinn.

What I see is one man earning his stripes and another being handed his. Clement is very much the former, I'm not saying he is going to be Mourinho, but he's worked damn hard to get where he is and I just don't see this as a risk.

Warburton worked in finance, went to Brentford and then became manager and has two years of coaching experience all at the same club. I'd say he's a bigger risk than Clement. 

​Difference being Phil Brown was the number two at Bolton. A lot of those mentioned were assistants at top clubs.

In Europe, appointing an assistant is the norm, even for big clubs. I don't get how or why people pigeon hole certain people. We're asking a coach to become head coach. It's not that big of a jump at all.

90% of the top managers over the past two years started in coaching then went on to management. The only time it doesn't work like that is when you've got a playing reputation to fall back on. 

Big difference here:

After leaving his job as a school coach, Mourinho looked for a path into professional management in his hometown and became youth team coach at Vitória de Setúbal in the early 1990s. Later he accepted the position of assistant manager at Estrela da Amadora

to

During his time at Celtic, Keane was suggested as a potential managerial successor to Gordon Strachan by former Celtic player Charlie Nicholas.[82] However, it wasChampionship club Sunderland where Keane chose to launch his managerial career, re-uniting him with the club's chairman and outgoing manager, Niall Quinn.

What I see is one man earning his stripes and another being handed his. Clement is very much the former, I'm not saying he is going to be Mourinho, but he's worked damn hard to get where he is and I just don't see this as a risk.

Warburton worked in finance, went to Brentford and then became manager and has two years of coaching experience all at the same club. I'd say he's a bigger risk than Clement. 

​I think we have clearly picked up a good coach, to succeed he also needs to be a good manager; here's hoping. 

Very happy with this. The guy has clearly worked very hard and has some talent to get such an important position at Real coming from a non-footballing background. This is a nice first appointment for him, we don't need a drastic overhaul and have all the pieces in place for a promotion push, although I'm happy to give him time to adjust, not expecting too much next season. 

COYR!

I think this is a bold and exciting appointment for the Rams. Clement has worked with the best players in the world and has a fine coaching pedigree, Derby is a perfect fit for him to stake out a higher profile in his career.

I expect us to do well and some of the gnashing anger in me at the 2014-15 run-in has subsided. Some players I won't forgive, though - simply not up to it - and hopefully they are soon gone!

Converse is, that in a couple of years, if we're promoted and consolidating, Clement will be poached and we'll have a 'deja vu' moment just like we had when Fergy fatefully poached Steve McClaren from Jim Smith's PPS regime.

Clement...future England boss? He'll be more acclimatised to the hot Qatar 2022 weather than many....:ph34r:

Forest fan takes piss out of new Derby manager shocker, never catch Derby fans taking the piss out of Pearce, Freedman, McLeish, Cotterill, Davies, Calderwood....

​Plus Atkinson , Megson , Kinnear , Bassett  the list is endless :D

I think this is a bold and exciting appointment for the Rams. Clement has worked with the best players in the world and has a fine coaching pedigree, Derby is a perfect fit for him to stake out a higher profile in his career.

I expect us to do well and some of the gnashing anger in me at the 2014-15 run-in has subsided. Some players I won't forgive, though - simply not up to it - and hopefully they are soon gone!

Converse is, that in a couple of years, if we're promoted and consolidating, Clement will be poached and we'll have a 'deja vu' moment just like we had when Fergy fatefully poached Steve McClaren from Jim Smith's PPS regime.

Clement...future England boss? He'll be more acclimatised to the hot Qatar 2022 weather than many....:ph34r:

Its alright being No2 where the players are mostly world class,​ it will certainly be different in the Championship for Mr Clement, there is so much hype attached to him ......let us see if he can cope first..........

Yes, acknowledged he's got to acclimatise to Championship life, and work with lesser players. 

You don't get to work with the best, though, unless you've paid some dues, and Clement has done a fair apprenticeship to move 'up' to Head Coach at Derby!

Getting into the psyche of this tough league is another challenge for him, as is mugging up on the teams we'll be facing.

It's Swindon, Clem - not Atletico Madrid - this year!

Here's hoping he assembles a backroom with some UK 'nous' to put alongside his experiences.

C O Y R

Yes, acknowledged he's got to acclimatise to Championship life, and work with lesser players. 

You don't get to work with the best, though, unless you've paid some dues, and Clement has done a fair apprenticeship to move 'up' to Head Coach at Derby!

Getting into the psyche of this tough league is another challenge for him, as is mugging up on the teams we'll be facing.

Here's hoping he assembles a backroom with some UK 'nous' to put alongside his experiences.

C O Y R

​They didn't get promotion though :p

PistoldPete2

C O Y R

Well after Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid I'm glad that Paul Clement has finally found a top club. 

PistoldPete2

​Plus Atkinson , Megson , Kinnear , Bassett  the list is endless :D

Which one was the iconic one? I've forgotten his name, but he didn't last long either. 

Archived