Ed Dawes' tweet

rad1919

I hope these remarks about Mr Melvin Morris intentions are based on fact and not fiction.

It won't be me who's having to go to the bank manager with Daveo to ask for a favour.

;)

​Cringefest v fiction.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​FFP was more to stop egotistical owners and chairman from spending loads of money, and then running off leaving the debt on the club, think Ridsdale at Leeds and all those Pompey chairmen. If the owners want to 'donate' the money, then I don't think it's as big an issue, but if they take a shedload of loans out and then skip town, it's bad.

​FFP was conceived to stop clubs challenging the top 4 or 5. There is no more room in the battle for Champions League qualification.

There will not be another "Man City" joining the elite anytime soon.

​FFP was more to stop egotistical owners and chairman from spending loads of money, and then running off leaving the debt on the club, think Ridsdale at Leeds and all those Pompey chairmen. If the owners want to 'donate' the money, then I don't think it's as big an issue, but if they take a shedload of loans out and then skip town, it's bad.

​The problem is that the rules weren't framed for that purpose, they were designed to keep clubs' costs down. Equity injections were actively discouraged. This is why the Premier League has refused to support the Championship rules and why things have been amended for this season and totally changed for next. Yet with the capitulation over QPR the whole thing looks dead in the water to me.

I've always been surprised that two wealthy club owners haven't got together and sponsored the other one's shirts. Imagine. Just imagine Mel Morris paying Blackburn £20m to play with Candy Crush (yes I know he doesn't own or run King Digital but this is just to illustrate the point) on their shirts and us getting £20m from Venkys for the same. 

Hopefully we will also get some much needed non football investment. Including the Plaza going from paper to brick. 

​Of course,something like this could be the basis of the tweet,and some have just jumped to conclusions.After all, a Plaza development would impact the club for years to come,and it might just mean that MM's involvement has allowed the project to go ahead.Who knows?

My money would be on the Plaza not happening until we get promoted.

​Not so sure about that.Although it would involve hefty capital costs,it would add considerable value to the club,and hopefully much more than said capital costs. Also,when revenue streams come online,it would reduce the amount of capital input required from investors. To me it all boils down to whether there's sufficient investment available to both fund the venture and supply working capital until such time as revenue streams flow. Naturally,they'd have to be convinced that they'd get the revenue that the capital investment merited.

​Not so sure about that.Although it would involve hefty capital costs,it would add considerable value to the club,and hopefully much more than said capital costs. Also,when revenue streams come online,it would reduce the amount of capital input required from investors. To me it all boils down to whether there's sufficient investment available to both fund the venture and supply working capital until such time as revenue streams flow. Naturally,they'd have to be convinced that they'd get the revenue that the capital investment merited.

​True - my gut feel is based upon the Your 90 Minutes session I attended with Glick about 3 years back when it was supposed to be "definitely going ahead". He said exactly that - the investors would get the revenue back from rent on the shops etc

It's clearly been bubbling on the back burner ever since, but not happened for some reason, so I'm wondering if they see the fairly major disruption it would cause (it's not like they can have the whole thing stood up within the 2 months of close season) as leading to a temporary dip in revenue that they'd only be able to sustain if we had the PL money in the pot?

Just for the record, my name is actually Rob Jones, and I did not approve of that message (or write it)

​I know Robbie Jones!! You all do too, think about it, we all know a Robbie associated with the club, who's Welsh. Jones is a Welsh surname isn't it? Perhaps it's a nom de plume?????

Sav just can't quit us.

​True - my gut feel is based upon the Your 90 Minutes session I attended with Glick about 3 years back when it was supposed to be "definitely going ahead". He said exactly that - the investors would get the revenue back from rent on the shops etc

It's clearly been bubbling on the back burner ever since, but not happened for some reason, so I'm wondering if they see the fairly major disruption it would cause (it's not like they can have the whole thing stood up within the 2 months of close season) as leading to a temporary dip in revenue that they'd only be able to sustain if we had the PL money in the pot?

​The only thing that gets me really interested in this relates to the legal charge registered at CH,and dated 29/4/14,that refers to land adjacent to Pride Park (their wording),and which appeared to be a transfer from the City Council to the club,with the Co-op Bank being entitled to the charge. This charge was subsequently shown as satisfied on 11/11/14.

I later reported on a further charge entitled to Global Derby,with the freehold of the stadium and car parking spaces cited as security.Some seem to think that the land as per my first paragraph was in fact the parking spaces,but I never suggested that myself.

I've got the text, it's on the same text were you said you missed me.

​Good job you broke the sights on his rifle.

​The only thing that gets me really interested in this relates to the legal charge registered at CH,and dated 29/4/14,that refers to land adjacent to Pride Park (their wording),and which appeared to be a transfer from the City Council to the club,with the Co-op Bank being entitled to the charge. This charge was subsequently shown as satisfied on 11/11/14.

I later reported on a further charge entitled to Global Derby,with the freehold of the stadium and car parking spaces cited as security.Some seem to think that the land as per my first paragraph was in fact the parking spaces,but I never suggested that myself.

​Sam Rush said a few months ago that the original Plaza project had been scrapped. It was felt that it was too small and would fail to attract customers except on match days. Consequently, it would be hard to gain sufficient rental income to make the investment worthwhile. It also had the potential to impinge on future stadium enhancements/capacity increases. 

With the newly acquired land it doesn't seem too implausible to suggest that a more ambitious project is in the offing.

The only thing with that is, where is there enough land to make building a 'destination' site possible? The only options seem to be the bird sanctuary - which would be hard to get past the planners and acquiring DW Sports - which would be expensive. Other option maybe the gasometers and building something that spans Royal Way.

Archived