Bryson; Hardly a great vote of confidence

i-Ram

What do you no understand and I will spell it out to you ? 

Mclaren is clueless 

I just find it somewhat odd your obsession with Bryson and continual blame for Mac for Craig's performances.When he played,he was subpar.

Of course I do hope he does improve and perform better to help the team win.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hendrick did kicked on and did better than Bryson anyway. 

​Disagree, he was very poor at times last season and was anonymous for numerous games. He did better than Bryson because Bryson did not really get a look in. Hendrick seemed immune to the chop.

I'm  agreeing with you there but would that not be because he was playing under instruction ? 

​ I can't imagine McClaren was instructing him to be ineffective in games.

Regardless of whether he was in his favoured position or not, which we all know he wasn't, it still doesn't change the fact that a lot of his performances were poor.

Haven't read all the posts,  sorry...But if all are fit and playing to our "best" system then it's Bryson that gets dropped for me out of the four. 

Just imagine Thorne, Hughes and Hendrick playing to their best with Ince and Russle on the wings and Martin up front. Frightening stuff. 

Engraver probably doing his name as we speak for next seasons poty as he likes to give someone else a shot every 2nd year , but joking  aside Bryso was under orders to sit and not get forward , that to me is lunacy and doesn't do mclaren any favours , the best attacking midfielder in the league the previous season and he's told just to sit ! That is a very strange decision which ultimately was the wrong decision 

What is your gut feeling Valley?  Are the "differences" between Craig and Mac something that can be overcome, and do you think he will be wearing Derby colours next season.  I accept fully that Brys is a much better and effective player further up the pitch, but I fear that there is now, as a minimum, distrust between them, and that Mac has an idea about his ideal team for next season and that Craig is not in that ideal team.

​Disagree, he was very poor at times last season and was anonymous for numerous games. He did better than Bryson because Bryson did not really get a look in. Hendrick seemed immune to the chop.

​9 goals and 9 assists. Just fell short of double figures in both but that's a good return I feel.

81.8% successful pass percentage as well. Compare that to runaway POTY Will Hughes (deserving winner of course) who had 85.8%. With 3 goals and 5 assists.

I do feel that Will Hughes is a little overrated by many. He is among our better players but for me has still yet to have that real breakthrough season when he has a major impression in most of his games. 

I'm not saying he wasn't a deserving winner of POTS (there were hardly any other players breaking down the door to win that accolade) but for me, he has yet to play anywhere near this supposed potential that many claim that he has. 

With Thorne injured, Eustace 'getting on'  (then injured) and Mascarell needing help to settle into  / not really fulfilling the requirements of the defensive midfield role it's not really any wonder other midfielders were asked to keep it tighter and sit back more.

Unfortunately none of them were particularly good at adapting. Only Bryson appears to have thrown a strop about it though. 

I do feel that Will Hughes is a little overrated by many. He is among our better players but for me has still yet to have that real breakthrough season when he has a major impression in most of his games. 

I'm not saying he wasn't a deserving winner of POTS (there were hardly any other players breaking down the door to win that accolade) but for me, he has yet to play anywhere near this supposed potential that many claim that he has. 

​I don't think he ever will have a 'breakthrough' season. That's not the type of player he is, he'll grow slowly and just keep improving with age. He's not the type to just go from season to season doing nothing and then BOOM 20 goals or whatever. He gets better and better year on year and there are no signs of that trend ending any time soon.

I mean, he's not had a 'breakthrough', but he's gone from the Academy to POTY in 4 seasons. Seems like only yesterday he was a fringe player amongst the England U21s and now he seems like a key piece of their setup. All without a 'breakthrough season'. He's broken through sneakily and you haven't even noticed! :lol:

Bryson is a funny one.

Did he become a victim of McClaren's more controlled approach? I'd say yes. However, people should remember his 2013/14 campaign was a complete one-off. He won't do that again, regardless of which team he plays for.

I think McClaren didn't handle him very well, but Bryson also struggled to make an impact because teams sat much deeper against us last season - not allowing him to make those runs in behind.

You only have to look at our goals against the likes of Blackpool and Doncaster the season before to see how naive the opposition were - they left oceans of room in behind.

If you look at our Reading 0-3 Derby goal highlights (Ibe's goal) you will see Bryson making that run and getting picked out. Problem was, the Reading defence were so deep he couldn't do anything but turn around and pass backwards.

He's a solid Championship player, but he lacks the intelligence and tactical discipline IMO to playat a higher level. He was largely one of better players when we were reckless under McClaren. Thing is, that recklessness which was also shown by Bournemouth is arguably the best way to get out of this division.

​9 goals and 9 assists. Just fell short of double figures in both but that's a good return I feel.

​Yes, must admit that is a good return, very surprised about the assists stat.

Don't get me wrong, on his day Jeff is probably my favourite Derby player and there are few better sights than him on one of his runs bursting though a midfield, but in my eyes he just went missing in way too many games last season.

Thing is, that recklessness which was also shown by Bournemouth is arguably the best way to get out of this division.

It's one way, certainly.  But we didn't quite make it so I think McClaren was trying the other way that works - the solid defensive (boring) approach that worked for Billy Davies.  

It didn't really work for us and by the time we went back to the recklessness we'd lost the players and confidence to pull it off.

I would like us to go back to all-out attack because it is so entertaining and suits our current players, Bryson included. Not good for the heart, though! 

​Yes, must admit that is a good return, very surprised about the assists stat.

Don't get me wrong, on his day Jeff is probably my favourite Derby player and there are few better sights than him on one of his runs bursting though a midfield, but in my eyes he just went missing in way too many games last season.

I know how you mean. I personally feel like after how he ended last season, this year should have been 'his year'. Or his 'breakthrough season' to coin a term already used. So he did do well but it felt like he really could have done so much better. He picked a bad year to try to break through! You just have to put it in perspective. Who didn't go missing sometimes last season?! They all did. Jeff will be back. He and Bryson could both really step up next year, which is an exciting thought.

I don't think Bryson is a great footballer but what he does give you is he goes beyond the forward players which midfielders seem scared to do. To be his most effective he needs the freedom to be allowed to do that and its no surprise it was he best season when we were flying. His form last season didn't warrant a place above hendrick or hughes so he will have to earn it back. I don't see whats wrong with Steve mc saying that.

Archived