Bryson; Hardly a great vote of confidence

i-Ram

Mac in the DET.  Surely Brys must be on his way don't you think?

CRAIG Bryson still has a part to play for Derby County as a member of the "engine room", according to head coach Steve McClaren.
Bryson had a stop-start second half of the season.
The Scottish international midfielder started only eight League games after the turn of the year due to injury and being unable to dislodge either Jeff Hendrick or Will Hughes.
McClaren met all the players individually last week as the Rams began planning for the new season.
"It has been frustrating for Brys, and he said that as well," said McClaren.
"The beauty of it is we have four very good midfield players in Brys, Jeff, Will and George Thorne.
"I hope at the start of pre-season and at the start of the season, we have still four very good midfield players.
"I have said to them already, that is our engine room and I want them to dominate next season.
"Again, it is about finding the balance."
Bryson scored 16 goals from midfield in 2013-14 and was named player of the year for the second time in three seasons.
This season he scored five goals in 44 appearances (31 starts).
Bryson picked up an injury in pre-season but was deemed fit to start the campaign.
"We did not have George Thorne at the time and Omar Mascarell had only just arrived. So we played Will, Jeff and Brys in midfield, and the balance wasn't right," McClaren recalled.
"Brys got injured and while he was out, Omar settled in and Jeff and Will were playing well.
"I think Will has really kicked on this season. He has been tremendous and Jeff has really come on, too.
"It was difficult to leave them out and difficult for Brys to get in.
"I think it is just down to the competition in the midfield.
"When I looked at it at the beginning of the season, we had George, Will, Jeff and Brys and I thought that was very good and somebody was going to be so unlucky to miss out.
"The injuries and the timing of them meant it was Brys.
"He is a player who needs momentum, continuity. He needs to be playing game after game.
"He didn't get that through injury, through not getting in the team and through being in and out.
"He never got into a rhythm."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Craig-Bryson-key-Rams-engine-room/story-26496881-detail/story.html#ixzz3a66JDwmj 
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But he got that for sitting on the bench though. Can't see him doing much for us. Jeff and Will doing well and deserved to keep their places in the team. 

Would love it if Bryson has a good pre-season and manages to take Hendrick's spot in the starting XI. Nothing against Hendrick specifically - I'd just like to see a further step up in the high standards we've already set. If Hendrick can do that as well, even better!

I thought Hendrick was pretty unimpressive on several occasions last season if its between the two of them then it's Bryson to stay for me

Good interview! If we have all four of those players at the start of next season I'll be amazed. If we do we're definitely going to need a couple of good cup runs to keep them all relatively happy. 

Bryson was a victim of the new-found negativity in McClaren's approach.

If Clough had have been playing Bryson so deep, I'd have been spitting feathers.

If McClaren wants Bryson to kick on next season, he should try playing Bryson in Bryson's most effective position(s). 

Bryson at his most effective is one of the best players in the division, in all positions, no doubt in my mind.

It was the team reverting to a more deep, protective midfield that meant we were worse in midfield than the previous season.

I still think it's a size thing... Hughes is weedy, Bryson is small, Mascarell was both...

Without Thorne in the team you needed someone who at least looked like they had physical presence (Hendrick) therefore Mascarell, Hughes and Hendrick... With 'The Eust' or Thorne in you can play Hughes and Bryson together

Thorne/Eustace missing & Martin being out effects Bryson.He's all about running off the ball and into the box but when you've got no cover behind you,plus your centre forward isn't holding the ball up,when he make's a run and it breaks down,the opposition kept breaking into the space he'd left.So he stopped making the runs,but standing still,passing and tackling ain't his strengths

Bryson will play his best once we're completely sorted out at DM.

If we are looking at a 4-2-3-1, I said at the end of last season that having Bryson playing in behind Martin would be a massive shout, would completely utilise Martin's hold up play and Bryson's runs behind the defence.

Bryson will play his best once we're completely sorted out at DM.

If we are looking at a 4-2-3-1, I said at the end of last season that having Bryson playing in behind Martin would be a massive shout, would completely utilise Martin's hold up play and Bryson's runs behind the defence.

​This was pretty much the reason behind his 16 goal haul in the previous season.

Bryson was another victim of the constant and sometimes enforced chopping and changing. Both him and Hendrick are players that really need a run of games to gather some momentum and confidence.

is it down to him not being told to get forward as much, other teams sussing him out or just that it was a freak season?

Before he hit 16 goals last season, he had only scored 23 in his career.

Says more about the player to me than any tactics, unless of course he has been played out of position for his whole career, in which case it shows a limited player.  His primary function in any game should be winning the ball and passing it to someone in a white shirt, goals are an added bonus.  He was out performed by Hughes and Hendrick for most of last season, I can see why he was in the bench for most of it.

He is better than he showed last season, and didn't perform to his ability, a good pre season and confidence should help his rediscover his form.

I think like others he suited the role running of Martin when he was safe in the knowledge that Eust or Thorne would be covering. Along with this season having less game time he never really had that freedom to roam forwards especially with the likes of Mascarell behind him.

Archived