Bryson; Hardly a great vote of confidence

i-Ram

Sounds like a manager that wants more from a player next season, Will and Jeff have kicked on now it's time for you Craig.

Can't see how you have read that he's offski

We read things differently. Here is a manager talking about a specific player - the best he can say for him is that he is the type of player who needs to play, have continuity/momentum, whilst he then goes on to praise Hughes and Hendrick for kicking on.

He doesn't even say he wants Brys for the new season, choosing his words carefully IMO to say that 'at the start of the season I still hope to have 4 very good players in midfield".

Personally, I think if Mac wanted him he would have been saying "what Brys needs is a good few weeks rest, to come back niggle free, and getting back to his old ways, making it difficult for me not to pick him. He is a good, good player and I hope to see him deliver for us in 2015/16".

ValleyRam (or ValleyBhoy) will be on soon to tell us that Craig is on his way - you read it here first.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We read things differently. Here is a manager talking about a specific player - the best he can say for him is that he is the type of player who needs to play, have continuity/momentum, whilst he then goes on to praise Hughes and Hendrick for kicking on.

He doesn't even say he wants Brys for the new season, choosing his words carefully IMO to say that 'at the start of the season I still hope to have 4 very good players in midfield".

Personally, I think if Mac wanted him he would have been saying "what Brys needs is a good few weeks rest, to come back niggle free, and getting back to his old ways, making it difficult for me not to pick him. He is a good, good player and I hope to see him deliver for us in 2015/16".

ValleyRam (or ValleyBhoy) will be on soon to tell us that Craig is on his way - you read it here first.

Sounds to be like he's trying to motivate him, and he does say he want's him here, must have not read this bit.....

"The beauty of it is we have four very good midfield players in Brys, Jeff, Will and George Thorne.
I hope at the start of pre-season and at the start of the season, we have still four very good midfield players.
I have said to them already, that is our engine room and I want them to dominate next season."

Sounds to be like he's trying to motivate him, and he does say he want's him here, must have not read this bit.....

"The beauty of it is we have four very good midfield players in Brys, Jeff, Will and George Thorne.
I hope at the start of pre-season and at the start of the season, we have still four very good midfield players.
I have said to them already, that is our engine room and I want them to dominate next season."

​I agree with this - and reading the whole of Mac's interview it's more or less what many people have been saying on here about Bryson over the course of the season. Mac is saying as much as he is able - he can no more guarantee Bryson his regular start than he can the others - so it's up to him to come out and claim it.

I hope it does motivate Bryson to come out and really go for it next season. On form, he's a joy to watch but there have been too many games this last season where it hasn't quite clicked for him.

Bryson was a victim of the new-found negativity in McClaren's approach.

If Clough had have been playing Bryson so deep, I'd have been spitting feathers.

If McClaren wants Bryson to kick on next season, he should try playing Bryson in Bryson's most effective position(s). 

Bryson at his most effective is one of the best players in the division, in all positions, no doubt in my mind.

It was the team reverting to a more deep, protective midfield that meant we were worse in midfield than the previous season.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Bryson has come in for some criticism on this forum and I have been saying all along that he has been used in a different deeper position.

For me, he is the first name on the teamsheet. He has a better engine than anyone in the side and has this season fell victim firstly to McClaren's change in approach (trying to sure up things at the back) and then his inability to find any balance in that midfield.

Derby's best approach is to get at teams and focus more on scoring than letting them in at the other end. McClaren would do well to remember that.

Our spell at the summit of the table disguised the fact that for large parts of games throughout this season, we failed to produce anything like the attacking football that we produced in the previous one.

Engraver probably doing his name as we speak for next seasons poty as he likes to give someone else a shot every 2nd year , but joking  aside Bryso was under orders to sit and not get forward , that to me is lunacy and doesn't do mclaren any favours , the best attacking midfielder in the league the previous season and he's told just to sit ! That is a very strange decision which ultimately was the wrong decision 

Engraver probably doing his name as we speak for next seasons poty as he likes to give someone else a shot every 2nd year , but joking  aside Bryso was under orders to sit and not get forward , that to me is lunacy and doesn't do mclaren any favours , the best attacking midfielder in the league the previous season and he's told just to sit ! That is a very strange decision which ultimately was the wrong decision 

Ffs.

Worrying for me that McClaren thinks Hendrick kicked on last year. I thought he took a few steps backwards last season.

Hendrick did kicked on and did better than Bryson anyway. 

​Agree it was a strange decision but, that aside, Bryson's performances were below par when he was in the team.

Archived