Reading Fan Chat – Derby v Reading

daib0

As always, friendly greetings from daib0, many of you know me a fair bit by now! Onto our game together on Saturday – they’re raining in now at the end of season run-in  - and I wondered if I could get a bit of chat going once again to report back to the guys and gals on my forum. Respect always given, so here goes:

A] Has this season given yourselves the feeling that you’ve turned the corner and are now going upwards – this season or sometime near you’ll get again to the promised land of the premier, sleeping giants and all that?  

B] It’s also been a season where we’ve really crossed paths a lot, this being the 4th meeting between us. So what’s been happening since our last FA Cup encounter? Can you sum up briefly the last few months? To me it seems that you had a bit of a wobble but have steadied the ship very well once again?

C] For Reading an FA Cup semi-final was something nice to come out of a very mediocre season for us – it’s our worst league finish in over a decade – and that cup run has probably saved Steve Clarke’s blushes, for now at least. So my Reading question is ... has  such a sluggish and lacklustre Reading team surprised you, especially taking into account that we have so many international squad players ?

As always, I promise that any snippets used will be credited by reference to your forum, and the individual member name (chance of Thames Valley fame!). And  I can promise you, as a mod myself, guaranteed absolutely no ‘wind ups’ on our forum.

Our match presentation is here: http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/10303978/1   - with the highest recommendation given for your forum as the reference as the site for Reading fans to look into, and loads of info already up on the team, history and our encounters, though please do feel free to point out any small inaccuracy you may find!

daib0, and the team on ‘Royals Rendezvous’

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To sum this season up in one word "expectation"

Last season we had none and produced the best football we've seen for a decade.

This season we thought we'd kick on, however injuries to Martin and ALL our defensive midfielders have scuppered our hopes for top 2.

We're now stuttering.

A) The club is on the up imo. There seems a genuine attempt by our American/Canadian owners to get us into the Premier League. I think they're "going for it", and while it may not happen this time, i believe they'll continue investing for next season.

B) The last few months have been painful, we thought we would be going into Saturday's game against you lot with a chance of automatic promotion - now we're scrapping to finish 6th!  We'll take the injury excuse route as our style depends on having a CDM protecting the back four and all our CDM's were injured. Our main man and top scorer, Chris Martin, also proved irreplaceable when injured despite goal scoring loanees Bent and Ince.

We have goals in us and could yet sneak a play off final place with one or two injuries clearing up - providing we do enough against you to get there.

We've also got rumours of Steve Mac taking Ashleys wonga at the Toon to contend with. 

C) I thought Reading would have had a good season - defo had them down as play off contenders, but to be truthful, i spend too much time mulling over the Rams to concern myself too much with others!

Never quite sure about Steve Clarke, he seems to have something about him but always looks unlucky and miserable - a poor mans Martinez perhaps?

Have a good day in Derby on saturday. If you can, have a drink in town after the match, its a great little city for an all dayer!

A) After playing so well last season, just missing out and retaining our squad we expected top 6 as a minimum this season and many expected top 2. The last couple of months decline has been a huge frustration but we're still fighting, are unbeaten in 6 and will probably give whoever we meet in the play offs some anxious moments. However I think the majority would expect us to lose in the semi final over 2 legs due to our complete inability to defend. Promotion will come eventually but when who knows?

B) Our ship is most certainly not steady! We're leaking goals and no-one expects a clean sheet on Saturday. However, we're very potent up front and have goals in us. Since our FA Cup game we've lost important players to injury, notably Chris Martin and all our holding midfielders. Therefore we've let in too many goals and not won enough games. Martin holds the ball up in attack and George Thorne or John Eustace for example screen the back 4. If we can get Martin and Thorne fit for the play offs we'll give anyone a game but will probably fall short.

C) I didn't see Reading near the top of the league at the beginning of the season. I'm not convinced by your squad and think you have some catching up to do to feature near the top next season. So not really surprised by your season to be honest. However anything can happen in the Championship and I certainly didn't see Bournemouth as top 2 so if you can keep a fit first 11 next season who knows?

a) I think it's more to with the Nigel Clough era ending and the direction steered by the club under Sam Rush and McClaren than this season on the pitch as it were - it's all through the club and not just a few eye catching loans. Yes I think we're a club on the up in general, but I wouldn't be surprised if we are a little bit rebuilding next season, as McClaren will probably go and the squad will be reshaped a little bit (HUghes to the prem is likely for example).

b) It's been horrible! There are some mitigating circumstances, there have been injustices, there have been some terrible goals conceded and it seems like something not been quite right for a while now - hard to put your finger on - we've still performed and scored goals more often than not (although there have been a few not performed showings as well) but the team just doesn't seem to now how to win any more and has a worrying vulnerability to being bullied. Having a system that relies on a good target man and a good CDM with neither of those available through injury hasn't helped, but the weirdest thing is the complete loss of all form by the goalie and all the defenders - even if Reading's whole team show up in flip flops and sun glasses, you'll still get a a couple past us. Think we'll do what we need to in the end though. Play offs is anyone's guess, but I don't really fancy us and just suspect it'll be Boro who go up. Especially if Ipswich and Norfolk kick seven bells out each other in the semi finals.

c) I'd say Reading have under performed this season. I wouldn't have had you as nailed on top 6, but perfectly respectable side for the division so a poor season would have been mid table, a good one getting in or near the play offs and by that measure, yeah, bit below what I'd have expected, but never seriously thought you'd go down and rebuild for next year. We had the long slow rebuilding for years before we got where we are,

A] Has this season given yourselves the feeling that you’ve turned the corner and are now going upwards – this season or sometime near you’ll get again to the promised land of the premier, sleeping giants and all that?  

We're pretty much where we was, if not worse, than last season. I don't think we're as bad as many will tell you but the past three months have put a downer on the whole club. 

We've got a chance to be promoted but we've just been hammered with injuries recently, so much so I don't even predict the team any more because I know two or three new faces will be injured prior to kick off. Conor Sammon even started on Saturday!

B] It’s also been a season where we’ve really crossed paths a lot, this being the 4th meeting between us. So what’s been happening since our last FA Cup encounter? Can you sum up briefly the last few months? To me it seems that you had a bit of a wobble but have steadied the ship very well once again?

It's nice of you to say we've steadied the ship and I guess it isnt that bad, but we're miles behind where we was at this stage last season. I don't think anyone is going into the play-offs with much confidence and we're still none the wiser on when Thorne and Buxton will return. 

We were playing great stuff and in good form right before we played you then after we played you we just fell apart completely. I think we're still on the ropes but we have enough quality to always have a chance hence the last two games where we've salvaged a point out of nothing. 

C] For Reading an FA Cup semi-final was something nice to come out of a very mediocre season for us – it’s our worst league finish in over a decade – and that cup run has probably saved Steve Clarke’s blushes, for now at least. So my Reading question is ... has  such a sluggish and lacklustre Reading team surprised you, especially taking into account that we have so many international squad players ?

Reading have surprised me as I didn't think you would drop so far, but I didn't think you would be challenging for the play-offs this season either. 

The Championship is a competitive division and I never expected Brighton or Wigan to be down there either. I guess once you lose momentum, it's hard to pull yourself out of the rut. 

A mid-table finish would have been a fairer reflection on your quality but you've secured a bottom six one instead. 

A] 

I have never really felt we are "sleeping giants" to be honest, I think Derby are a club that can argue to be on the same kind of level as a Forest, Leeds, Wolves, Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday and to an extent a southampton. But obviously southampton appear now be the exception out of that group. The one club that has really managed to turn the corner and are now looking like a real force. Go back what 3 years and both Derby and southampton were on a completely level playing field a part from the fact that their academy churns out more stars than ours. So to go back to your point about turning the corner, until we get promotion and do a southampton I don't think we can say we have turned the corner but having two positive back to back promotion chasing seasons is a first for me as a derby fan and a first in a long time so it has definitely been a good season in my eyes. 

B] 

I wouldn't say we have steadied the ship. We have managed to go 6 games unbeaten but that includes 4 draws, 2 against a struggling and a relegated team and 2 against two of the divisions better teams. Our bad run started with a mass of injuries but that slowly evolved into the defence and other parts of the team lacking real confidence and making mistakes left right and centre. Most goals we concede are mistakes or there is a mistake in the build up. Off the top of my head the only goal I can remember us conceding that wasn't a mistake in the last 7 or 8 games was brentfords goal.  Our attack is probably the most lethal in the league behind Bournemouth's when we are on form and if Chris Martin and Darren Bent had stayed injury free during the last 12 games, I believe we may have had more of a say in the top two. A win against you on saturday will take us 7 games unbeaten into the play offs and we really should be using that to take confidence into our two games.

C] 

I wouldn't say that its surprised me to be honest but not because I necessarily think Reading have bad players I just think that in the championship it is mainly about form and organisation, the only difference between the teams in the top 6 and the bottom 6 is that the teams at the top have that form and organisation but also tend to have a couple of players with that little bit added quality. The other teams in the league can then really finish anywhere between 8th and 20th depending on injuries and form mainly. Reading have a decent championship squad that with the right manager could finish maybe 10th at best, I just think you are missing one or two players that could give you that something extra to push you into the top 6. I think steve clarke is a good manager and with a summer behind him I am sure you will have a better season next season. I have always had a lot of respect for Reading through your Steve Coppell years and that record breaking championship season you had where you were unstoppable. (At least I think it was record breaking)

I was sorry to see you go out of the cup the way you did, its basically a similar heart wrenching goal to concede late in a game as bobby zamoras was for us. Although there were some reading fans chanting zamoras name against us in both cup games earlier this season so I won't feel too sorry for you. ooooo Alexis Sanchezzzzzz 

A) have we turned a corner? 

No. We are sliding back to where we were - upper midtable  - although we still have a slim chance of promotion via the play offs.

B) what happened this season?

This season we have never really got going the way we did last year, even though for a long time we were better placed. 

Losing george thorne before a ball was kicked was a huge blow. When we beat Reading in the league cup you were a bit unlucky. We were mis-firing until Chris Martin came on as sub and changed the game. The F.a. Cup game was irritating. Schteve pratted around as if it was some pre season friendly leaving Hughes, Buxton and Forsyth on the bench and in so doing he invited a casual laissez-faire attitude. For me this match marked the start of our poor form, as the confidence of some players and our pattern of play was slowly destroyed by endless rotation. Injuries were a factor but there were other reasons too. The goalkeeper has gone mental, and the back four look like a comedy act. Without the goals of Darren Bent and Thomas Ince we would have been out of it ages ago.

C) Reading have surprised me by the depth of the slump. The recent form is diabolical but is absolutely no guide as to whether we can beat you.

Steve Clarke has the air of a man who has just accidentally locked his keys in the boot of his car, after having been told by his wife that she's leaving him. This may not be helping. 

A) The club is on the up imo. There seems a genuine attempt by our American/Canadian owners to get us into the Premier League. I think they're "going for it", and while it may not happen this time, i believe they'll continue investing for next season.

B) The last few months have been painful, we thought we would be going into Saturday's game against you lot with a chance of automatic promotion - now we're scrapping to finish 6th!  We'll take the injury excuse route as our style depends on having a CDM protecting the back four and all our CDM's were injured. Our main man and top scorer, Chris Martin, also proved irreplaceable when injured despite goal scoring loanees Bent and Ince.

We have goals in us and could yet sneak a play off final place with one or two injuries clearing up - providing we do enough against you to get there.

We've also got rumours of Steve Mac taking Ashleys wonga at the Toon to contend with. 

C) I thought Reading would have had a good season - defo had them down as play off contenders, but to be truthful, i spend too much time mulling over the Rams to concern myself too much with others!

Never quite sure about Steve Clarke, he seems to have something about him but always looks unlucky and miserable - a poor mans Martinez perhaps?

Have a good day in Derby on saturday. If you can, have a drink in town after the match, its a great little city for an all dayer!

This. 

He's a wise man is Utch. The voice of reason in a crisis. 

***** at chants though.

Definitely, I for one can see the light at the end of the tunnel, our Academy 1 status, great youth, great facilities are as people have said premier league quality. Signing premier league players on loan such as Ibe, Wisdom, Butland, Bent and Ince has shown we have an attraction for other clubs. Our chief scout (or whatever his job description is) Chris Evans seems to be world renowned as well as McClaren and Eric Steele. The squad on their day are a joy to watch, a full strength squad would be unstoppable imo.

Well looking back to when we beat wolves 5-0, we were incredible. Wolves were talked as promotion challengers and we brushed them aside, we even took our foot off the gas for the last 20 minutes or so. now they cant seem to defend or control possession the same way they did. Confidence and Injuries have took its toll. I hope that if we win convincingly on Saturday then the confidence might go up. Playoffs will be exciting to say the least

I definitely think you've underachieved. I thought the FA Cup was unkind to you, but you should keep your heads held high. I don't know much about whats going on behind your door but I think next season the championship will be easier, cant see any of the league 1 teams doing a Bournemouth. I think a good pre/offseason will hold a club in good stead for next season. Hopefully we wont see you next season

​A)

Turned the corner? Nope

Going upwards? Yep

Promotion? Doubt it

Sleeping giants? Nope

B)

Briefly? Injuries and howlers. And I definitely wouldn't call our ship steady yet.

C)

First thought was yes, suprisingly bad season. But after taking closer look, your team is a more or less a mess. Full of well-known and reputable, but at the same time very average players.

No. We turned a corner last year for sure but at no stage this season have really hit those heights again. The collapse in the final quarter of the season has been dramatic and worrying, and we may need more ins and outs in the close season than perhaps we thought. We do though have a good side player for player and if we don't go up this season, then I hope the board will continue to back whoever the manager is to take that final step.

The FA Cup tie between us was a missed opportunity for us. Having been on a good run and built momentum, the manager used the game against you as some sort of training match and got his just rewards. We won a couple of games after and all seemed well, but since two quickfire losses against Fulham and Brighton it's been one calamity after another; injuries, defensive howlers, continuous rumours about the manager. We haven't really steadied the ship - unbeaten in six sounds good but only two wins, against relegated teams. We're still a joke at the back.

I never know what to expect with Reading. I remember when you were a Division 3 club at Elm Park and that seemed about right, you've done well in recent years but I never think of you as a top two or three team, or a Premiership team in waiting. Saying that, it's never an easy game against you and you've got some good players. Have you surprised me? No, because I wouldn't be surprised if you were top six or midtable. The only surprise would be if you were wallowing down the bottom.

As always, friendly greetings from daib0, many of you know me a fair bit by now! Onto our game together on Saturday – they’re raining in now at the end of season run-in  - and I wondered if I could get a bit of chat going once again to report back to the guys and gals on my forum. Respect always given, so here goes:

As always, I promise that any snippets used will be credited by reference to your forum, and the individual member name (chance of Thames Valley fame!). And  I can promise you, as a mod myself, guaranteed absolutely no ‘wind ups’ on our forum.

Our match presentation is here: http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/10303978/1   - with the highest recommendation given for your forum as the reference as the site for Reading fans to look into, and loads of info already up on the team, history and our encounters, though please do feel free to point out any small inaccuracy you may find!

daib0, and the team on ‘Royals Rendezvous’

​A) reckon we turned the corner last year and ran straight into a brick wall this

B) you're being very kind describing it as "a bit of a wobble". basically we've performed at relegation level for nearly a quarter of the season. I've been completely non-plussed. Maybe its karma for all of the spawny undeserved 1-0's we gained in 2006-2007 under Wee Billy D

C) I thought you'd be on a down-curve because of the situation you've had with the owner/investment, but you've fallen a bit further than I thought. Its only last season where you played us off our own park - and god help us if that happens on Saturday!

Reading's one of my more local fixtures so part of me ants us to be in the same division next season, but selfishly Southampton is closer;)

Nope, last season we turned the corner when Clough left. We are still on the up and we'll be back in the Prem very very soon.

Our defenders have taken a vacation, the Chuckle Brothers could have come in and that would have been an improvement.

FA Cup doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's not the same anymore, lost it's magic, I'm glad you beat us. Last thing we needed was a longer cup run with the injuries we've picked up. If we could opt out of both cups next season I would. Didn't expect you to be down there at all, thought Steve Clarke had a bit more about him.

A) No, not at all. But then I  have no idea what's happening at Derby anymore

B) What's happened since Feb 14th? Phew... Where to start.... We've seemingly pulled out draws and wins when we haven't deserved them, and thank god because this wobble is neverending. In many ways we're like Weeble-Wobbles. We wobble but we don't fall down. 3-3, 4-4, 1-1 vs Brenford etc... We've got spirit, and that's all we've got apparently...

C) Your cup run stinks of Paul Jewell 2008 Championship. He got us to a League Cup semi, sure, fair play. But he also nearly got us relegated. Don't let your club pull the wool over your eyes using the cup run, you've done atrociously in the league considering the squad you have and where you finished last year. You should demand better.

Archived