Signed: Tom Ince

North_Stand_Ram

Tom Ince prediction   

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone please brighten my day and tell me we are in talks with various teams over a CDM? I hope we don't spend all the budget on ince then slow down in other departments 

​I've seen a few comments like this now...

<rant>

Do people honestly believe that the club works this way? I'd be very surprised and extremely disappointed if the club works on a one-by-one basis when it comes to recruiting new players, or if they somehow didn't know their budgets and how much they have to spend. 

This isn't Football Manager, I have zero interest in how much a player costs or (something I find more baffling) how much his wages are. 

For years we've been complaining about having to shop around in the bargain basement for 'non-league players and freebies', and now we sign players with the quality of Darren Bent(!!!) we still find a reason to be unhappy?

Guys, enjoy this kind of signing whilst it lasts, it's 20 years since we had this kind of relative spending power, you never know what's around the corner with football, especially so with Derby!

I trust the management to strengthen us significantly upfront and in defence- I don't think anyone seriously believes that the club doesn't realise that we need to fix the shortcomings of last season.. do they?!

</rant> 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<rant>

Do people honestly believe that the club works this way? I'd be very surprised and extremely disappointed if the club works on a one-by-one basis when it comes to recruiting new players, or if they somehow didn't know their budgets and how much they have to spend. 

This isn't Football Manager, I have zero interest in how much a player costs or (something I find more baffling) how much his wages are. 

For years we've been complaining about having to shop around in the bargain basement for 'non-league players and freebies', and now we sign players with the quality of Darren Bent(!!!) we still find a reason to be unhappy?

Guys, enjoy this kind of signing whilst it lasts, it's 20 years since we had this kind of relative spending power, you never know what's around the corner with football, especially so with Derby!

I trust the management to strengthen us significantly upfront and in defence- I don't think anyone seriously believes that the club doesn't realise that we need to fix the shortcomings of last season.. do they?!

</rant> 

​Come on. It's a legitimate concern that we don't blow whatever budget we have on one player. Obviously none of us know what cash the club has to play with and I wouldn't want it to be publicised for obvious reasons but we'd all be a bit shocked if we signed Ince and were then told "That's all, folks".

As for not having any interest in what the players cost in fees and wages, it's a good job that plenty of other people do. What we spend this season could end up biting us in the bum in the next year or two if the gamble doesn't pay off. I'm enjoying this current relative spending power too but hope and trust that someone is behind the scenes making sure we don't do a F*rest.

<rant>

</rant> 

Very touchy aren't you? Did I once imply that the Club didn't realise that they need to fix the "shortcomings of last season" ?! Because my message says otherwise , I simply asked someone to tell me we were enquiring about a defensive midfielder considering all the recent rumours about players have been virtually every other position apart from a CDM , as well as a GK and LB but personally they don't have a urgent need for improvement like the CDM does?! Feel free to justify why I'm wrong

It definitely won't be £6m - you're right. 

I'm guessing £3m, however, if it is £6m then we should still look to get it over the line.

People point to the defence, but I'd argue that just needs organising better. It needs better balance and it needs confidence. We've seen what types of players Christie and Forsyth can be, which is why they're international players, and we've got a solid partnership with Buxton and Keogh. The last three months were just down to lack of organisation, concentration and confidence. Before that, they were deservedly one of the hardest backlines to breakthrough. Rawson, who is our God knows choice defender, even won rave reviews at this level. Keogh was named in the PFA team of the year - no need to panic about the defence at all. 

​THIS

By the time Eustace's injury had occurred we'd conceded 23 goals in 25 games - had we maintained this goals conceded per game ratio we would have had the second-best defensive record in the league.

By the time Martin's injury had occurred we'd conceded 26 goals in 29 games - so over that brief spell without Eustace but still having Martin our defensive record had improved slightly. This for me, is when the side lost it's balance. 

Once we started playing Bent and Mascarell in the same side is when the goals against started ballooning - by the time Bent went off against Fulham we had conceded 35 goals in 34 games. By the time Mascarell picked up his injury we had conceded 39 in 36. 

Once we decided to go gung-ho (from Wolves onwards) we conceded 13 goals in 7 games.

With regards to the balance of the defence itself - for the 131 minutes we had a genuinely balanced defence of -

Forsyth(for 13 minutes)/Warnock - Whitbread - Keogh - Shotton 

we didn't concede a goal. Directly proceeding this brief spell our defence was being torn to shreds by Brentford and directly following this spell we conceded 10 goals, 3 of which coming in the 20 minutes after Whitbread had been taken off and Shotton shifted to left-centre-back.  

Now I know a lot of people don't like statistics but, as to back up the point you made, these statistics indicate that our defence isn't so leaky if our side is balanced.

Very touchy aren't you? Did I once imply that the Club didn't realise that they need to fix the "shortcomings of last season" ?! Because my message says otherwise , I simply asked someone to tell me we were enquiring about a defensive midfielder considering all the recent rumours about players have been virtually every other position apart from a CDM , as well as a GK and LB but personally they don't have a urgent need for improvement like the CDM does?! Feel free to justify why I'm wrong

​dcfcreece1601, apologies if it seems that my post was directed solely at you- it's something I've been sitting on for a while now after seeing a lot of comments in the same vein. 

FWIW, I don't disagree with your point regarding a defensive midfielder- what I'm getting at is that I'm sure the club already have a list of targets in mind, and all will be revealed in due course. For the time being, I'm happy to sit back and enjoy the level of signings we're making at the moment (though I reserve the right to get tetchy if by the end of August we've only signed Bent and Pearce :ph34r:)

​Come on. It's a legitimate concern that we don't blow whatever budget we have on one player. Obviously none of us know what cash the club has to play with and I wouldn't want it to be publicised for obvious reasons but we'd all be a bit shocked if we signed Ince and were then told "That's all, folks".

As for not having any interest in what the players cost in fees and wages, it's a good job that plenty of other people do. What we spend this season could end up biting us in the bum in the next year or two if the gamble doesn't pay off. I'm enjoying this current relative spending power too but hope and trust that someone is behind the scenes making sure we don't do a F*rest.

​Wolfie, I wasn't saying that we shouldn't care about the financial health of the club, far from it. What I am saying is that I'm not worried about what we spend as I do trust that we have a responsible management who won't mortgage the future of the club on one season, and I believe MM said as much in Clement's press conference last week.

But the point is that we as fans have no say whatsoever in what the club budgets or spends. Why then does it make any difference that some fans monitor the situation?

​What doesn't make sense is fans lying awake at night worrying about it.

I consoled myself that the frugal spending under the Clough years was necessary because of 

a) the awful mess the Amigos left us in, subsequently healed (a bit) by the LoG

b) the awful mess BD spent a fortune on

so it was understandable that GSE had to 'cut their cloth', so to speak. However, decent foundations have now been laid, and it seems there are a few 'big-hitters' (ok, one)  preparing to do a little more than look behind the fridge.

I might not be around in 10 years time, or if I am, the ability to gallivant all over the country (and farther afield) following The Rams may no longer be there.

So, 

Perhaps Thorne is fit and firing, a top calibre loan CDM is already agreed to provide competition for GT and Eustace has been offered a final year on his contract as a third choice backup.  

#patience  

I think Eustace was offered an extra year quite a while ago now. It's starting to look like he's going

​THIS

By the time Eustace's injury had occurred we'd conceded 23 goals in 25 games - had we maintained this goals conceded per game ratio we would have had the second-best defensive record in the league.

By the time Martin's injury had occurred we'd conceded 26 goals in 29 games - so over that brief spell without Eustace but still having Martin our defensive record had improved slightly. This for me, is when the side lost it's balance. 

Once we started playing Bent and Mascarell in the same side is when the goals against started ballooning - by the time Bent went off against Fulham we had conceded 35 goals in 34 games. By the time Mascarell picked up his injury we had conceded 39 in 36. 

Once we decided to go gung-ho (from Wolves onwards) we conceded 13 goals in 7 games.

With regards to the balance of the defence itself - for the 131 minutes we had a genuinely balanced defence of -

Forsyth(for 13 minutes)/Warnock - Whitbread - Keogh - Shotton 

we didn't concede a goal. Directly proceeding this brief spell our defence was being torn to shreds by Brentford and directly following this spell we conceded 10 goals, 3 of which coming in the 20 minutes after Whitbread had been taken off and Shotton shifted to left-centre-back.  

Now I know a lot of people don't like statistics but, as to back up the point you made, these statistics indicate that our defence isn't so leaky if our side is balanced.

I think Keogh fecks up the Feng Shui personally, but we are all different. Some people like minimalist defending.

Archived