If we signed Messi some fans would moan on here

Curtains

Every set of fans of football clubs moan.

Southampton are having an amazing season for instance, but next season expectations are going to rise and the moment they hit the rocks (which they will) fans will moan.

It's all linked in with expectations. We rightfully thought we'd have a real crack at the top two this season. I actually feel being five or six points behind, especially given we were five ahead of third, is that we've underachieved.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Exactly.

We were bookies' favourites, we have at times been way clear of the playoffs, and yet as it stands we are not living up to expectations. That's disappointing, and McClaren deserves some criticism for it. Doesn't mean people are advocating his sacking, just means that we're disappointed at the regression suffered this season.

Personally I don't think we should settle for sliding back into mediocrity, other fans are welcome to think otherwise.

The loss of Thorne, Eustace, Omar, Martin and Bent were huge for us, not sure if many managers would have coped with those. Just to top it off we have defenders making silly mistakes, if it comes to finger pointing at the end of the season McClaren wouldn't be where my finger would be pointing.

It's still been a decent season with a flat finish, being in the top 6 from September to April, calling it a underachievement I think that's down to individuals expectations. I never expected us to walk the league, nor did I expect promotion.

Play offs minimum was my expectation, we're on course for that so I'm fairly happy with the obvious disappointment that injuries may have cost us automatic spot. 

Not saying Nigel did a bad job but just think we should be happy where we are at the present time with Steve.

Nigel is doing well at Sheff U for me and they may get promoted in playoffs

Good luck to Nigel

​Because we finished third last season and have clearly regressed.

Because our squad is stronger than the fifth best in the league.

Because we were five points clear of third, and we let that slip.

Because we possessed a squad that was ridiculously reliant on Martin and Thorne.

Because Keogh was in the starting line-up time and time again, despite countless errors made.

Because we have dropped many points from winning positions this season.

Because we still don't have the clinical edge needed to dispatch teams who settle for a point against us.

I'm not saying "Boo McClaren Out"; I'm just saying that I believe we have under performed to be fifth this season. The blame for that has to be put on the shoulders of the manager, to some extent.

Ironically, you're constantly making references to McClaren doing much better than Clough, yet it was the same contentment with mediocrity that you are exhibiting right now that led to Clough keeping his job for five years in the first place.

​I can't speak for this forum as I wasn't on here in the Clough days, but judging by every other forum I've seen, the DET, Radio Derby, speaking to individual fans, that is rubbish. McClaren hasn't taken half the stick dished out to Clough.

hahaha, I cannot believe what I am reading! 

things I've picked up but disagree with.

We have not regressed in terms of league position because in instance one the season was over, yet in instance two, the season is still in play.

There's no reason why we would progress much higher, as we haven't made any significant investments in playing staff.

Nigel could've been given magic beans and £100m to spend and would've only bought players that he could coach to maximum potential of mid-table championship.

Some people just seek out reasons to be negative, it's almost extraordinary. Despite a bad run, we have so much to be positive about. There's not been a better time to be a Derby fan in years. 

It's like the McClaren/Newcastle situation - some fans will put a negative spin on it and resent him no matter what happens. 

4 possibilities at the end of this season:

• We stay down, McClaren goes to Newcastle - "Glory hunter", "Wanted premier league football", "Never cared about us", "Journeyman", etc etc
  • We stay down, McClaren stays - "Newcastle realized that he was overrated", "They didnt want him when they saw what a failure our season was", etc etc.
  • We go up, McClaren goes to Newcastle - "Deal was done last season", "wanted a bigger club", "in it for the money", etc etc.
  • We go up, McClaren stays - "Only stayed cause we got promoted, "Deal was in place to go to Newcastle if we stayed down", etc etc.

I really feel like if you're getting more pain than enjoyment from football, especially at a time like this - if Derby are bringing you nothing but negativity and misery - you should really find something else to do. Kiting? Quilting? Origami? Prescription anti-depressants would be a good place to start.

Archived