Black Managers in Football - Rooney Rule

Day

For those that don't know, I'm white. 

I, too, have struggled with getting a job in football management in the past. It's an absolutely travesty. 

I think there was a guy on here who actually applied for the Mansfield Town job a few years back - clearly an ambitious go getter but I think he was overlooked. Whether or not it was because he was white is unknown, but something fishy is going on.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that don't know, I'm white. 

I, too, have struggled with getting a job in football management in the past. It's an absolutely travesty. 

I think there was a guy on here who actually applied for the Mansfield Town job a few years back - clearly an ambitious go getter but I think he was overlooked. Whether or not it was because he was white is unknown, but something fishy is going on.

Alex was white, the reason he didn't get the Mansfield job was he couldn't afford the bus fare. He's now a scout.

When we keep seeing the stats of how many Black and ethnic minority managers are in jobs, I'd like to also see the stats of how many have taken the qualifications to manage, why is that never disclosed in these articles? 

I mentioned this before but the only way we can do this is to name and shame.

Instead of crying racism, drop names and offer facts. Looking at a percentage or numbers, as mentioned previously in this thread, doesn't give any indication whatsoever.

Michael Johnson is a regular is spouting this kind of rubbish. So why doesn't he man up and admit exactly what job he has applied for, then the chairman of said club can give the list of all the applicants.

Then, and only then, can you say whether he has been racist or not if the black applicant is more suitable for the job than any other applicant.

I think qualifcations play a part, but I'd also like to think football intelligence does too.

I'm fairly sure Gary Neville hasn't got any qualifications (I could be wrong) but you only have to listen to him to know he's ridiculously inteligent when it comes to the analysis side of the game among other things. I bet clubs would employ him.

Does Johnson, Barnes or whoever else come across as intelligent footballing figures? I think Chris Powell and Chris Hughton do, but Paul Ince in contrast sounds like he doesn't have a clue - Who would listen to him?

The same can be said about white people too though. Stuart Pearce for instance just sounds like a terrible motivator and tactically inept.

PistoldPete2

​I think there are more worthwhile things to get really annoyed about than arguments that others put forward.

What's the management ratio for White managers on the African continent. 

In terms of population are the white managers getting over looked in countries like for example Zimbabwe???

Just putting that one out there?!?!

I do not feel their is racism in regards to whom teams want for their new managers. I just think some construe it as such sometimes, when the reality is that a managerial candidate who happens to be black is simply not the type of manager (His tactics, personality, etc.) that an owner/team wants to lead their club forward at times, nowt to do with his race. White managers imo are turned down as well or not even thought of being interviewed due to same reasons.

Daveo has the short term solution pretty much wrapped up in the initial post. Whether there is or isn't racism stopping black people getting into management is irrelevant because it can't be proved one way or the other. We need a proper study to be undertaken.

First and foremost the FA should announce that the situation is being monitored, not as any kind of veiled threat or intent to pressure chairman into making certain appointments, but to actually get usable data to allow informed judgements to be made. It should also be made clear that any black player who decided against doing their licenses because they thought they were unlikely to get a job should have a rethink.

I think the essential levels to track are as follows;

Percentage of black players year by year. - This is simply to wipe out the fallacious arguments surrounding the current disparity between the number of black players and managers. Idiots or ideologues either don't realise or choose to ignore the fact that there were far fewer black players in the past, when most of the current managers were plying their trade.

Percentage of black english players year by year. - This is tracked to ensure the above results are not skewed unfairly by foreign players.

Percentage of black players who get their coaching badges.

Percentage of black applicants for coaching and manager positions in each league. - It might be difficult to get clubs to disclose details of their application process. It would have to be a head count as opposed to naming applicants and clubs must be assured that the data will only be used to look at general trends, not single out specific clubs.

QPR boss Chris Ramsey: Being black harms job prospects

QPR boss Chris Ramsey says being black will make it more difficult to find work should he leave Loftus Road.

Ramsey, 52, is in charge of the Premier League side until the end of the season after stepping up from a coaching role when Harry Redknapp quit.

Ramsey spent seven months out of work after leaving Tottenham in June before joining QPR in October.

He says "any manager of any race" struggles to find work but it is more difficult "as a black man".

"Because I am sitting here I am not going to change my view of many years," Ramsey said.

Archived