Tax disc

Ovis aries

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't had one since November, most of the police cars have ANPR down here so can tell in an instant if you've paid your dues or not,

We never had to display an insurance disc so the police would be logging into a database to check if a car was insured anyway so can't see how it's more work for them, an untaxed car would just flag up while they were checking insurance details.

Of course I could be typing a load of old you know what, it's been known before.

The police don't have to check the vehicles at all. It's all done automatically by number plate recognition cameras. It actually means you're more likely to get caught if you don't have tax, because every car, if you're driving around, will be checked by the cameras, instead of just some cars being checked by the naked eye. 

Embrace the technological revolution. 

You no longer have to display one , more work for the police checking vehicles , and more people not bothering  to get one.

There lots of these new cameras about,  look out for them about 15foot up lamp posts.

i also saw some temporary ones on the A52 M1 Island.

im all for it, it'll get more people without tax than ever possible with the old system.

nothing has really changed. The old system with paper discs was backed up by the ANPR cameras anyway. A lot of the "speed camera" vans were actually looking for car tax dodgers and they weren't looking for tax discs. Its just cut out the costs involved in producing all those paper discs, and of the wasted ones that were never used.

obviously they couldn't do it until there was the systems in place to monitor peoples insurance and MOT status at the point of purchase without viewing documental evidence.

​because you have a visible reason to buy a disc, it's open to abuse..you could claim the car is off road (sorn) and drive it around and park it anywhere and nobody is none the wiser, not all police cars have anpr fitted, currently about 20% of Leicestershire police vehicles do so you have to be unlucky to be picked up. I would question how many have access to the MID Database also :rolleyes:

Archived