Tax disc

Ovis aries

​It's not just police cars that have ANPR, the DVLA run vans that have two camera's on the back pointing at both sides of the road. They know the areas where avoiding the tax is most common, so they comb the area. They mostly hit residential areas targeting parked cars, clamp them, ticket them and move on to the next. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a pain in the arse, hardly any cars have ANPR and the ones that do the officers that are left have bigger fish to fry these. The ones that don't will be looking for more than no tax. People who commit the simplest motoring offences normally don't give a **** so a lot of the time police find summat to stick them on with. 

More likely to get caught by DVLA for not renewing. 

No tax disk makes it a lot harder for the police to spot stolen/cloned cars but there you go.

Easier to get tax back when you sell, automatic now though, got a nice cheque in the post t'other day.

​I think the speed cameras used on vans are used by the speeding partnership (independent), I will ask my brother but I don't think they are linked to an anpr database, I can't be sure so don't quote me on it, I am not sure of national police forces but by targeting parked cars and clamping them is now a very grey area.

Probably right mate, they are moving it away from the police force, they will probably looking to privatise the dvla

Your right, speed camera's are not on the ANPR database. But ​you misinterpret what I'm saying, I'm talking about vans run by the DVLA using the DVLA database. It's all explained below, with more in the link.

How it works

Clamping vans patrolling the streets are equipped with automatic number plate reader (ANPR) technology. Roof-mounted cameras read the number plates of vehicles parked at the roadside. The number plates are checked against a list of untaxed vehicles and any identified are confirmed against the DVLA vehicle register. The untaxed vehicle is then clamped,towed away and impounded after 24 hours (or immediately in some cases).

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motoring/vehicle_tax/9943.html

• 2 weeks later...

So you could sell a car with 11 months tax on it , and the new owner can get fined for having no tax , fooking fantastic.

Another way to rob the motorist .

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/tax-disc-loophole-leaves-angry-drivers-facing-massive-fines/ar-AAaMvme?ocid=HPCDHP

​Yes you could do that and get 11 months worth of tax refunded to you. It's a new, more sensible system but unfortunately it was bound to catch a few idiots people out. Ignorance isn't an excuse in my opinion, the changes were well publicised. 

​Yes you could do that and get 11 months worth of tax refunded to you. It's a new, more sensible system but unfortunately it was bound to catch a few idiots people out. Ignorance isn't an excuse in my opinion, the changes were well publicised. 

​But if you sell it part way through the month you get 10 months worth of tax back and the new owner has to pay for 11 months worth of tax. The Government make money by short changing the seller and and over charging the buyer.

​But if you sell it part way through the month you get 10 months worth of tax back and the new owner has to pay for 11 months worth of tax. The Government make money by short changing the seller and and over charging the buyer.

​that's always been the case. You used to send the tax disc off to get a refund of any complete unused months.

the buyer had to then get a new tax disc which would be charged from the beginning of the month.

So you could sell a car with 11 months tax on it , and the new owner can get fined for having no tax , fooking fantastic.

Another way to rob the motorist .

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/tax-disc-loophole-leaves-angry-drivers-facing-massive-fines/ar-AAaMvme?ocid=HPCDHP

​that was the case before - if the seller kept the disc to claim the refund. What I does now is stop the tax left being used as a negotiating tool for private sellers.

Get a more economical car. My road tax is £20 a year. Less than £2 a month. I like a good moan, and I've been known to go to war over as little as £2.50, but I've got bigger fish to fry than trying to claim a refund on a couple of weeks worth of road tax. 

​that's always been the case. You used to send the tax disc off to get a refund of any complete unused months.

the buyer had to then get a new tax disc which would be charged from the beginning of the month.

​Most people would sell the car with tax rather than get a refund.

Archived