Pedigree of Defensive Players?

leemark

Christie Coventry, Keogh Coventry Carlisle, Forsyth Dundee Watford, Bucko Mansfield Burton.

The above are all workers but have hardly played at the highest level elsewhere.  Is it, that when push comes to shove, they simply get found out and cannot cope at the highest level?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christie Coventry, Keogh Coventry Carlisle, Forsyth Dundee Watford, Bucko Mansfield Burton.

The above are all workers but have hardly played at the highest level elsewhere.  Is it, that when push comes to shove, they simply get found out and cannot cope at the highest level?

​The Championship isn't the highest level and the defence wasn't doing too bad before the recent run of bad form, 3 of those got us to the Play Off final last season. Previous clubs mean nothing, could list off a load of players with a less than glamorous CV.

These are not bad players, just players that are making daft mistakes which need to be sorted out.

The problem is, for as long as I can remember, the defence has always been slated and needed improvement.

We've now had defence after defence after defence and at no point in anyone's life has it been good enough due to this and that. I think people need to accept, no matter who is playing at the back, we're going to concede goals and therefore not be perfect. 

Albentosa was brought in and was highly-rated in Spain yet he looks on a similar level to Buxton and Keogh. We could have signed someone like Mancienne and Wilson and realised the same problem. In fact, I can't think of one defender at this level who hasn't been at fault this season. Shotton was signed from the Premier League and, in my opinion, he's the worst out of the lot for ability. 

I'm not defending our defence, but just trying to open people's eyes that in whoever eventually comes in to replace those in there will probably be given the same treatment, and so on. 

Never ending cycle. 

The problem is, for as long as I can remember, the defence has always been slated and needed improvement.

We've now had defence after defence after defence and at no point in anyone's life as it been good enough due to this and that. I think people need to accept no matter who is playing at the back we're going to concede goals and therefore not be perfect. 

Albentosa was brought in and was highly-rated in Spain yet he looks on a similar level to Buxton and Keogh. We could have signed someone like Mancienne and Wilson and realised the same problem. In fact, I can't think of one defender at this level who hasn't been at fault this season. Shotton was signed from the Premier League and, in my opinion, he's the worst out of the lot for ability. 

I'm not defending our defence, but just trying to open people's eyes that in whoever eventually comes in to replace those in there will probably be given the same treatment, and so on. 

Never ending cycle. 

​Albentosa has looked fairly solid to me, far more so than Keogh, despite playing on his unfavoured side.

Barring the Wolves game, the left side of defence is looking fairly solid now. Just need a new RB and an upgrade on Keogh in my opinion.

Archived