Chin up, Rams fans! Nothing really matters...

SantosHalper

Alright fellow Rams,

I've spent the last few days solemnly reflecting on our recent form, and whilst I'm not happy after that Boro defeat and the games before, I realised that in my time as a Derby supporter, things have been so much worse than this.

I started supporting Derby in the mid-80s, when things were pretty miserable in the then 3rd division. Then there were good times as we got promoted twice, then bad times as we struggled in the first season, then good times as we finished 5th with Dean Saunders scoring loads of goals. Then more bad times under Maxwell, then some good times, followed by yet more bad times. Good times under Jim Smith, then bad times getting relegated. Good times getting promoted in 2007, followed by bad times getting dicked every game in the Prem. Then some okay times under Clough, followed by good times under Steve getting to the play-off final. 

Some of you will remember the title-winning teams of the '70s, followed by the club's disintegration, starting in 1977. 

Fine, I might have had a few glasses of wine, but I think you get the idea. I don't support Derby because they're the best team in the world. We are what we are. I was born in Derby and my family all supports Derby, going back generations. Are we likely to win the Premier League and the Champions League in the next 20 years? No. Might we go up this or next season? Absolutely. If we went up this or next season, would we struggle or even get relegated? Maybe. 

And you know what, I don't care very much any more. This is football. I mean, this is what football is all about. If you want success, then support Chelsea or Barcelona or Bayern or whoever. Or do what one of my friends did -- come to football really late, and just support whoever is top of the Premier League at that time. 

So if you're a young Rams fan stressed right now about our current form... don't worry. We may go up, or we may not. It will be all ups and downs for Derby until you die. Just go with the flow. Welcome to the rest of your life. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if you're a young Rams fan stressed right now about our current form... don't worry. We may go up, or we may not. It will be all ups and downs for Derby until you die. Just go with the flow. Welcome to the rest of your life. 

I am trying to be as philosophical as possible and 'live in the moment' rather than worrying about the wheels having come off big time and what this result or that means. The trouble is we've been there or thereabouts and falling off at the end is hard to take.

This article on the BBC website from yesterday details the issues involved quite nicely. I've copied a few quotes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/31963832

International Day of Happiness: Does sport make us happy?

Does watching sport make us happy? That seems an easy one: when our lot win it does, when they lose it doesn't.

Except it's never that simple.

In the frantic moment, watching sport can often be miserable - the suffocating tension, the complete lack of control over something we care so deeply about.

Losing together is a very powerful experience, and one that can help you much more in life than the shallow, superficial joy of winning.

The best way to be as a fan is to have the maximum emotional investment in a team but the least expectation of success.

This is the worst time, when the hope turns into despair.

We have what could be a golden team, we have had golden moments, we have had promotion in our sights all season.  Can it really be true that we are not going up after all? And if it all slips away, we lose players and coaches, and with them go confidence and belief.

Mediocrity beckons once again!

I didn't mind being mediocre when we were mediocre. But when you've tasted something else, after you've tried on some new clothes, it's going to take a while to get comfortable back in the old duds.

Yes there is hope while we are still in the mix. That hope is dwindling though with the performances of late. A win tonight would be the fillip needed for the team to bounce back with Martin, Bent and co after the break. Really hope so but my glass is half empty at the moment

However hard I try, I can't get rid of the sneaky feeling that we'll be fine! I've had this feeling many times in the last 60 yrs and it has frequently been wrong! I have a go at pessimism but can't quite hack it. Hope over experience!

I'm too young not to enjoy this season. I've been a season ticket holder since I was 6 years old and I've only seen us finish in the top half of any table four times (4th in 05/05, 3rd in 06/07, 10th in 12/13 and 3rd last season). This season is right up there with all of those.

Another plus is that winning at Wembley after what happened last season would be the sweetest thing that could ever happen.

This is football. I mean, this is what football is all about. If you want success, then support Chelsea or Barcelona or Bayern or whoever. Or do what one of my friends did -- come to football really late, and just support whoever is top of the Premier League at that time. 

First time on the forum, I've read lots of your comments and opinions and this thread is probably Derby in a nutshell.

When I was young (not the time to start singing), living in Warrington, I didn't want to follow the norm, Liverpool, Everton, Man U and Man C, So I decided on Derby. this was in 1971, a young 8yr old glory hunter. But I've followed Derby ever since and I'm proud to follow them thick and thin. Derby's time will come, This is the best team in terms of style and flare we've had for many years. So lets get behind the club, ups and downs, good times and bad, as the man say's 'Just go with the flow'.....

Archived