Thorne back for Tuesday, Martin and Bent back for Friday.

North_Stand_Ram

I'd love to see it, but I was concerned by Steve post match interview. He seemed to imply that we were trying to limp towards the international break, then give everyone a proper break before they all come back fighting fit. 

I don't think we can afford to do that though. As said above, this sequence if 4-5 games are properly make or break, and if there is any chance of getting close to our strongest 11 out, we should. 

How much difference does 3 days make in a recovery? Baring in mind the importance of Saturday's game, if George is fit on Tuesday, he would have surely been fit enough to put on the bench on Saturday, rather than putting all our eggs in Hanson's basket. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Saturday I was less worried about GT being back for tomorrow and more worried about a centre forward. Now seems we are getting GT and no centre forward... Hopefully GT can make some of his famous defence splitting passes for JR.

A team can be more or less than the sum of its parts IMO.

It can also be much much less if the parts arn't the right ones.

It's not just that Martin and Thorne are quality players, it's they way they make the whole team "more" - Martin in particular never had the effect he has for us for any other side the way he has Derby.

I'm a bit suprised we haven't changed the tactics due these injuries. Martin is pivotal and all three defensive midfielders out too.

Haven't seen the cup game with 3 men defence, I guess it was horrible. At least those summer friendlies with diamond midfield were.

Russell with his back to goal doesn't work, was apparent during the Norwich game really. Biggest mistake was not getting a reserve hold up forward last summer I think, wouldn't have had to be a worldbeater, just someone who would fit the system for a short time in an emergency (e,g, Tudgay I mentioned, can hold it and lay it off and let us play our football, as it is we have no player of that type available). Even Bent isn't an ideal fit despite his goals.

Also better to say players are unlikely to be back and then surprise us rather than the other way around which leaves everyone flat and deflated even before the match starts.

Archived