F*rest v Bournemouth

robglosta

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said at the time i thought sacking Pearce could help us out in the long run. No way would they have got a result if he hadnt been pushed. Cheered them on for the first time ever...felt weird and ashamed

​It feels like we should take a check of Howe's position on the bellend-o-meter;

He must be nestled in quite nicely now a****st the likes of Dwarf, Colin, Adkins etc.

• 2 months later...

Yeah.

Bottled it. Threw it away. But for losing 28-odd points from winning positions this season (most of them at home) we could have won this league by 20 points or so. But we bottled it and will have to settle for just the 1 point lead we finished with.

In all seriousness though, what happened to you lot?? Shocked at your decline since you played us at Dean Court. Didn't see it coming.

Yeah.

Bottled it. Threw it away. But for losing 28-odd points from winning positions this season (most of them at home) we could have won this league by 20 points or so. But we bottled it and will have to settle for just the 1 point lead we finished with.

In all seriousness though, what happened to you lot?? Shocked at your decline since you played us at Dean Court. Didn't see it coming.

Not wanting to sound like a sour Forest fan....

Injuries to Martin & all our defensive midfielders screwed up our season, oh and a puff pastry defence

Yeah.

Chris Martin went off injured and has never recovered. The whole balance of the team went when Chris went.

Yeah.

​Everything that could go wrong, did! :(

Had to change defence every game because of injuries or players suddenly performing at Conference standard. Our right back Christie who was being talked about as our potential player of the season after the first 3 or 4 months, he was that good, suddenly forgot how to defend/pass/cross. Our goalkeeper Grant who was considered as one of the top keepers in the league started making huge mistakes that cost us. Thorne returned from injury and was supposed to be our saviour, but then he got injured for the rest of the season. Next, our other 2 holding midfielders Mascarell and Eustace picked up season ending injuries so we had to resort to bringing in an academy player, Jamie Hanson. He did pretty well on his debut and 2nd game but then disappeared randomly (I'm guessing he also got injured) and so for the rest of the season we seemed to have a different player being tried in holding midfield every game (And none of them worked). Last year's player of the season Bryson was no where near his high standards this season and seemed to get injured every few weeks. Dawkins missed a ton of months through personal reasons, returned to the team in a new position (central midfield), was man of the match on his first 2 games and then missed our most important important game of the season against Reading once again through personal reasons. And the biggest problem, the injury to Chris Martin (picked up against you :angry:). Our style is based around him and with Bent we just don't seem the same, we try playing balls over the top for Bent to run onto rather than into the striker's feet like we're used to when Martins playing. Martin returned from injury and we started looking like our old selves and then he got injured again. And once he returned from the 2nd injury he couldn't manage more than 30 minutes due to poor match fitness. And on top of all that, our manager seemed to lose the dressing room around about the time all the Newcastle rumours started. Tom Ince seemed like the only person playing for him, the rest didn't seem to care.

Sorry for the essay! :lol:

Glad Bournemouth went up though, play really nice football and seem to have decent fans aswell, hope you do well next season

I'm surprised you didn't make it to the play-offs, I had you down as the team most likely to go up with us before Christmas and didn't consider Middlesbrough to be as much as a threat. That old adage of the season being 46-games long never looked truer than this season.

I've just had a scan through your 'next season' thread and to my mind, some of the posts on there are pointing out some of the issues; mostly with a defence lacking confidence and too many loan-players.

AFCB have gone up by having the best team, not neccessarily the best players in individual positions (although Ritchie as a right-winger and Arter as an attacking midfielder are probably the best in the division)

They are the best team, because they play for each other; because we didn't have injury problems due to piles of hard work and keeping fit; because Howe will not employ players who don't fit into his dressing-room ethos of anybody coming to Bournemouth having to fit in socially with his new team-mates and because they don't panic when things go wrong but continue to play the way they've been coached. When you lost Johnny Russell & Chris Martin with injury, when Jordan Ibe went back to Liverpool, you were exposed to problems we've not had at Dean Court. We've seen this enough times over the years to know exactly what can happen. Your defence need to have belief in each other. When Adam Smith gave away a silly penalty to cost us 3-points versus Sheff. Weds. he didn't get loads of stick from his colleagues, he got a bit of ribbing and lots of support.

If McLaren goes, it might be better for you. I suspect Steve McLaren is more interested in what is good for Steve McLaren than what is good for Derby County.

As for Forest doing the double over us, well, these things happen. We hammered them in both games and they did us on the breaks, hey-ho.

I'm surprised you didn't make it to the play-offs, I had you down as the team most likely to go up with us before Christmas and didn't consider Middlesbrough to be as much as a threat. That old adage of the season being 46-games long never looked truer than this season.

I've just had a scan through your 'next season' thread and to my mind, some of the posts on there are pointing out some of the issues; mostly with a defence lacking confidence and too many loan-players.

AFCB have gone up by having the best team, not neccessarily the best players in individual positions (although Ritchie as a right-winger and Arter as an attacking midfielder are probably the best in the division)

They are the best team, because they play for each other; because we didn't have injury problems due to piles of hard work and keeping fit; because Howe will not employ players who don't fit into his dressing-room ethos of anybody coming to Bournemouth having to fit in socially with his new team-mates and because they don't panic when things go wrong but continue to play the way they've been coached. When you lost Johnny Russell & Chris Martin with injury, when Jordan Ibe went back to Liverpool, you were exposed to problems we've not had at Dean Court. We've seen this enough times over the years to know exactly what can happen. Your defence need to have belief in each other. When Adam Smith gave away a silly penalty to cost us 3-points versus Sheff. Weds. he didn't get loads of stick from his colleagues, he got a bit of ribbing and lots of support.

If McLaren goes, it might be better for you. I suspect Steve McLaren is more interested in what is good for Steve McLaren than what is good for Derby County.

As for Forest doing the double over us, well, these things happen. We hammered them in both games and they did us on the breaks, hey-ho.

​results wise we have been the mirror image of last season where we were near unstoppable against teams mid and lower table, less successful against teams around us and hopeless against the then top two.

This year we were unbeaten against both promoted teams but the run in has been something else - a real shoot out and we have been badly overtaken by very good in-form teams.

Can't argue with the table although i will miss the trip to the Goldsands next year as it is one of my locals. Good luck lads and try and keep playing the way you have been.

Seems that everything that happened to you, didnt happen to us.

We have been very fortunate with injuries. Our two central defenders (Tommy Elphick and Steve Cook) started all 46 League matches, the full-backs started 42 each, Callum Wilson missed just one match and the midfield quartet all started at least 41 matches with Richie starting all 46. That is undoubtedly a major factor in our success this season.

Archived