Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Needless said:

Rams shirt being held up at the AJ v Ruiz weigh in.

Not paying for this...can't see Ruiz lasting too long.

Me neither but only because I'm at work Sunday though

AJ will take a round or 2 to figure him out and then start unloading. It'll be like Molina, Breazeale and Martin. Ruiz will be cautious and if he throws anything threatening then he'll get a nasty reply. If he doesn't then the best he can hope for is "I survived x amount of time" 

He's not too bad is he? It's just these elite guys are too good. 

Better than the Miller fight. How that fat ****** got the AJ fight was pure talk. Fat punchbag

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Me neither but only because I'm at work Sunday though

AJ will take a round or 2 to figure him out and then start unloading. It'll be like Molina, Breazeale and Martin. Ruiz will be cautious and if he throws anything threatening then he'll get a nasty reply. If he doesn't then the best he can hope for is "I survived x amount of time" 

He's not too bad is he? It's just these elite guys are too good. 

Better than the Miller fight. How that fat ****** got the AJ fight was pure talk. Fat punchbag

I've seen nothing of him to be honest. Similar level to Parker, but easier for AJ to land on? Good, but not AJ, Fury or Wilder.

Would have preferred to see the original opponent, I think AJ would have sparked him good and early too, and easier, but he was a knob-head whereas I can't dislike Ruiz.

Anyone listen to Colin Hart on Talksport Thursday night? 

He had Wilder as his current no1 purely due to his punching power irrespective of a dodgy technique. 

He said Joshua in 6 tonight. 

He then spoke about boxers with wasted talent and said Kirkland Laing was the best boxer he had seen.  Unfortunately, after beating Duran he took himself to Jamaica and smoked the local fags for a year.....

I also came across Naz v Kevin Kelly on a sky rerun this week. I forgot how crazy that fight was. What an entertainer he was back then. 

Never been a huge fan of women's boxing, I know it's not for me to judge and it's a bit old fashioned but to see 2 lasses clubbing the living daylights out of each other just didn't sit right.

I've just watched the Katie Taylor fight and gone absolutely mental screaming and cheering. I can only remember getting into 3 or 4 fights so much.

Tyson v Bruno where Big Frank rocked him

AJ v Klitchko, to see Joshua come back and finish it the way he did was incredible.

Tyson fury getting up off the floor when it looked like he was out cold.

Rocky v Drago, nobody kills Apollo Creed and gets away with it.

It really was a stunning fight to watch, I think the Belgian lass was unlucky not to get the decision but I'm delighted for KT, so much courage it's not true. The atmosphere as well was incredible, she really is Box Office even on the men's under card, I honestly think people would pay to watch her if she was the main attraction.

What an amazing fight. Joshua looked absolutely dreadful. Ruiz Jr knocked him down 4 times. Comes up against someone with fantastic technique and fast hands. Complete arrogance from the champ thinking he could turn up and win. Serves him right. The American Dream is over.

He was gone and finished right from round 3. He never looked like getting back into it, you kept hearing him ask his corner what punch caught him, it was like he was stuck in a daze.

A real shock but fair play to Ruiz, he totally outclassed him speed wise.

I know there's a rematch but not sure how AJ comes back from this, especially in America, hearing them boo him, they were angry. Almost as if they felt cheated by the hype.

AJ brought this on himself.  Too many months between fights, Ruiz had a 'double' training camp, and has obviously watched AJ a lot.  To much 'big picture' and not enough with dealing with what is in front of you.  He could struggle to get back, unless Wilder sees this as an easy win.

I guess because he fought Wlad that we just assumed AJ would cope with getting hurt better against a lesser opponent but this raises big question marks against his recovery, stamina. 

He just looks like a pile of bricks when he's hurt and he seems to take entire rounds for him to even get movement back. He was close to being stopped by Wlad. I mean a couple of the knockdowns last night were just piss poor survival. 

Wilder has been rocked numerous times but he survives. AJ turns into a block of wood and starts hooking. He's terrible at trying to initiate a clinch. 

He'll come back from this. It's been hard for him being under so much pressure. He takes it well but I think he'll operate better with something to chase again. 

All that muscle looks great but he only has stamina when he's controlling the pace. Wlad was always going to test him but I don't think anyone would predict Ruiz Jnr to ask questions. Sure he stood a punchers chance as does everyone at those weights. But to beat AJ up? Wow. 

Fury with class as expected. He's a WUM but he's not a knob head. Wilder is a complete tool. 

I thought AJ answered any questions over his durability with his win over Povetkin. That last night was really terrible survival. 

The problem with AJ now is that the magic has gone, a bit like Tyson after Douglas the big question is whether he can intimidate fights like he used to. Lennox showed how to come back from times like these but AJ now has to do the same. Listening to the interviews after the fight and the comments above about what he was saying during the fight I think he got some real strange concussion, a bit like those who can remember Murdo MacLeod getting whacked in the face by a free kick and then running around afterwards asking which way Scotland were kicking.

But he's been shown tonight that he is not invincible. I think tonight was massive for Fury, he knows he's better than Wilder (who will always have a good punch and can't be discounted) and now AJ has shown he is human. Fury is the best boxer, the best chin and I think he has just found himself top of the pile.

One final thought. The one thing this is great for is boxing - all those fights that couldn't get made have just come back on the table. If Wilder is true (and not repeating his $50m call out to AJ) in signing up with Fury then that one is done. Joshua will now have to go on the back burner but he will also have to be a bit more humble on his terms - something his challengers have said he wasn't always.

Tonight was bad for AJ but good for boxing.

23 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

He then spoke about boxers with wasted talent and said Kirkland Laing was the best boxer he had seen. 

Totally agree with this, very sad story Kirkland - ended up a bum on the streets with serious mental health issues but a wonderful fighter in his time. He was like Naz and Herol Graham rolled into one.

If anyone hasn't read it, Steve Bunce's History of British Boxing has a good section on him, it's a great read for all those who remember the days of Harry Carpenter, Reg Gutteridge and Saturday nights watching boxing on terrestrial.

@Alpha your profile pic is more impressive than AJ’s performance against Ruiz Jr.

Hearn really hasn’t help AJ at all IMO - too much time finding reasons not to agree contracts for fights most fans want to see.  AJ has become ring rusty and far to gym chiselled like Frank Bruno became ( great for photo shoots but not for going 12 rounds ).

Lets face it that performance won’t have increased his profile in  America ( totally back fired on Hearn and PR team ). There didn’t seem to be any grit / desire/ hunger from AJ once he got caught by Ruiz Jr which is a concern.

However, even the likes of Tyson, Lennox etc had shock defeats in there career so its now down to how AJ responds.

4 minutes ago, Don't Panic said:

@Alpha your profile pic is more impressive than AJ’s performance against Ruiz Jr.

Hearn really hasn’t help AJ at all IMO - too much time finding reasons not to agree contracts for fights most fans want to see.  AJ has become ring rusty and far to gym chiselled like Frank Bruno became ( great for photo shoots but not for going 12 rounds ).

Lets face it that performance won’t have increased his profile in  America ( totally back fired on Hearn and PR team ). There didn’t seem to be any grit / desire/ hunger from AJ once he got caught by Ruiz Jr which is a concern.

However, even the likes of Tyson, Lennox etc had shock defeats in there career so its now down to how AJ responds.

And this bloke - though to be fair the opposition was of a slightly better calibre.

image.png.6d75aa3e69b5a5a6c348ee536f4d70ec.png