Buxton

McMuffin

Thank you for changing that. 

My my point is that Buxton escapes censure for the most part. His shortcomings are dismissed by some  as exuberance or someone else's fault or somesuch. 

I'm looking forward to the scapegoating of Hendrick thread, which seems imminent. Once people have finished their hatchet job on our captain of course.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buxton/Keogh.  Why isn't it working?   What other center back combinations have worked well and why?

Vidic and Ferdinand.  One is aggressive, combative and likely to concede yellow cards. The other is a clever player, more tactical and better on the ball.  Their contribution is more than equal to the sum of their parts.  They have a symbiotic relationship. 

Bould/Adams. Different players, symbiosis

Luiz/Silva.  As above.

I think Buxton and Keogh are too alike.  They are each capable, and even expected, of delivering a couple of howlers each game, but neither covers the other for those eventualities.  I've only seen Raul for half a game and I think he can play with either.  My current preference would be for a Buxton/Albertosa combo, because of the mayhem Buxton can take to their box during set pieces and corners, and of course the headed goals he scores. He was man marked in the box for each corner but he still got his head to both. 

I think I prefer screaming his head off and running to the crowd after he's scored Bucko to the Nonchalant, Balotelli-esq Bucko that we saw yesterday.  Always a sign of a player getting too big for his size-nines when they act like that after scoring...

One things for sure though, he should've just clattered Keane for their second.  Miles from goal so either boot the ball or the player and take a clever yellow.  I'm all for defenders trying to be like Bobby Moore vs Pele but so many times in the last few games just get it away from the goal...

I think I prefer screaming his head off and running to the crowd after he's scored Bucko to the Nonchalant, Balotelli-esq Bucko that we saw yesterday.  Always a sign of a player getting too big for his size-nines when they act like that after scoring...

One things for sure though, he should've just clattered Keane for their second.  Miles from goal so either boot the ball or the player and take a clever yellow.  I'm all for defenders trying to be like Bobby Moore vs Pele but so many times in the last few games just get it away from the goal...

didn't you see him come to the south stand fist pumping after he scored.

l think the calm celebration was more "we've still got a job to do" than nonchalance. And he was right.

clatter a player? Not really an option when there are covering players and Grant should have done better too. Regardless had Hendrick not arsed up Bucko wouldn't have been in that position.

​A screaming Bucko, tear-arsing into the goal to retrieve the ball, sprinting back to the half way line and leaving an 8 inch deep crater on the centre circle shows there's a job still to be done.  I just love the passion he's shown in the past after bagging one.  Forest and last year against the same opposition springs to mind.

​Forest yes, Weds no.  Against Weds it was our first goal just before half time.  I remember it well as it's the only goal I saw that day as my 4yo lad got bored/cold and insisted we go home.  I was miffed that the two superb 2nd half goals were scored right in front of where we were sitting!!!

​Forest yes, Weds no.  Against Weds it was our first goal just before half time.  I remember it well as it's the only goal I saw that day as my 4yo lad got bored/cold and insisted we go home.  I was miffed that the two superb 2nd half goals were scored right in front of where we were sitting!!!

​Wouldn't have been a straight red because at the point of likely contact Keane was facing the touchline and Keogh was covering.  My point was, he was sufficiently far enough away to take one for the team.  Saying that, he was certainly hung out to dry by Hendrick's crap touch and didn't expect Granty to dive out the way of the ball...

Archived