Buxton

McMuffin

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way he has improved with us is amazing in itself. From conference to our best CB.

Unforunately we are closing to his maximum limit, top end Championship defender I'm afraid. So ability wise same as Keogh, good enough to get us up from this division.

Won't even start about his personality, which seems so rare to a modern footballer... Just hope he gets to his normal level again, so he can celebrate promotion and being a PL player...

Way he has improved with us is amazing in itself. From conference to our best CB.

Unforunately we are closing to his maximum limit, top end Championship defender I'm afraid. So ability wise same as Keogh, good enough to get us up from this division.

Won't even start about his personality, which seems so rare to a modern footballer... Just hope he gets to his normal level again, so he can celebrate promotion and being a PL player...

I am sure he was only in the conference for one year. The rest of his career he has always been in the football leagues.

Nobody says that "it's usually a Keogh mistake that leads to opposition scoring", show me where that has been said. 

My opinion is that he makes more mistakes than anyone else, and in the bigger games, and that too many for a leader/captain.

My original message quotes mumblemumble at 1.35pm

"Keogh makes at least 2/3 mistakes every game, and its usually his mistakes that lead to the opposition scoring"

My original message quotes mumblemumble at 1.35pm

"Keogh makes at least 2/3 mistakes every game, and its usually his mistakes that lead to the opposition scoring"

That's slightly different. That comment suggests if a mistake is made, it's usually Keogh, which I would tend to agree with. The subtle wording you used suggested that the opposition scores because Keogh makes a mistake, which isn't the case. Sometimes they score because their play merits it.

That's slightly different. That comment suggests if a mistake is made, it's usually Keogh, which I would tend to agree with. The subtle wording you used suggested that the opposition scores because Keogh makes a mistake, which isn't the case. Sometimes they score because their play merits it.

I'm getting confused here. I took issue with the language that mumblemumble used and the view expressed in his/her quote which specifically said "its usually his mistakes that lead to the opposition scoring". 

I haven't said that anyone else has ever inferred this.

I completely agree with you, and wish sometimes others would do to, that sometimes the opposition scores because their play merits it - this is down to no-one's fault. I have absolutely no problem appreciating a goal against Derby if it's well worked.

So just to clarify. Mumblemumble said Keogh's mistakes usually lead to the opposition scoring. I disagreed with this person and asked them to prove it. They haven't.

Think we're analysing a bit too much?

Who was at fault for our 3 goals? Or were they good play?

Precisely.

When we score, we don't analyse how poor their defending was, to "gift" us the goal. We enjoy the skill, the goal and praise the scorer.

Our defenders don't go out of position, lose concentration, misplace passes, get out-muscled on purpose. 90+% of the time it's because of good play and pressure being applied by the opposition - you know, like we put on teams just before we score.

Fair enough if you don't think our defenders are good enough but it would be nice once in a while to be able to analyse, appreciate and look to emulate the skill by which another team has picked through our defence rather than just scapegoating whoever you feel like today.

The worry I have about Bucko is the change in the way he defends. He always used to attack the ball coming into the box but now he appears to be more concerned with blocking the attacker(s). His ability to turn quickly has never been one of his strengths and because he no longer makes clearing the incoming cross his priority, clever movement by the opposition forwards leaves him in "no mans land" and is making him look pretty silly. On more than one occasion he's been fortunate not to concede a penalty due to his wrestling antics in our box - he needs to get back to how he defended last season and he'll be fine.

Its never good play Alpha. Alan Hanson said so on MOTD.

I think you should always judge a team over a good number of games and always judge a players match performance over 90 mins

Buxton was at fault for Wilson's goal v Bournemouth. But he played well. No problem with the mistake after he had a good game. There were hundreds of mistakes that went unpunished in that game. It's no bigger or worse mistake than Hughes losing the ball on the halfway line and them breaking and having a good chance. Or Keogh heading Wilson through on goal. It was just one that Bournemouth punished.

Think you have to weigh up the mistakes a player makes with his positive contributions. While using Bournemouth as the example, both CB's played quite well.

Our 2 goals were avoidable. Bent robbing the LB who had enough time to get rid. And then Bent stepping across a flat footed CB who had a head start on him. Bent was "allowed" to take a touch into the 6yrd box!!

All goals are the same. You just have to try and weigh up the general contribution rather than knit pick. When the negatives are getting as numerous as the positives then you have a point.

It's like judging Derby for drawing 3-3 at Rotherham. It's easy to say "won't get promoted if we can't beat teams like Rotherham"

That's true. But luckily we can beat teams like Rotherham. And like Wolves. And like Bournemouth. We can beat anyone away in this league. Again it's about the general pattern of results that knit picking one mistake.

Archived