Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

100 million reasons ;)

How much of that do you get? or me? Nothing. All promotion does is turn us from regular winners (in this league) to regular losers. Personally, i'd rather see us play entertaining football in this league than become a Sunderland/West Brom/Leicester/Villa in the Premier League, and the owners becoming a bit richer would not soften the blow of being whipping boys in the Premier League.

Did I not say, that it would be a magnificent experience as a fan to win a cup?

However, in terms of the greater context of this club as it stands ... which, i think the question related to ... which would we rather?

Winning the league this season is far, far, far more important.

Anyone who argues otherwise is blowing romanticised smoke up their arse.

We wouldn't be winning the 'league' though, we would be finishing 21st out of 92 clubs. I bet you couldn't name me the last 5 teams to finish 1st in the Championship without consulting t'interweb, and you would struggle to tell me the last 9 promoted clubs.

as fans, being in the Premier League has no benefits, yeah we get to play better players, but If that was my motivation, I'd support one of those teams. I want to see Derby be glorious, not see other teams be glorious against Derby.

Why is so much made of Brian Clough not winning the FA Cup? They never said, "never mind, you got a couple of promotions".

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Promotion every day of the week. Winning a cup is great, but wouldn't be a benefit to a club unless in PL.

What are you talking about Cucumber? You saying this surprises me. 

Right, the Premier league provided ONE benefit, "MONEY", and that then becomes a burden upon relegation.

Winning a cup provides many benefits, European football at the iPro, name etched on the trophy, being forever remembered as winners of an illustrious competition 

What are you talking about Cucumber? You saying this surprises me. 

Right, the Premier league provided ONE benefit, "MONEY", and that then becomes a burden upon relegation.

Winning a cup provides many benefits, European football at the iPro, name etched on the trophy, being forever remembered as winners of an illustrious competition 

Good points, and I want to us in a cup final and europe before I die, but I have no memories of us being in the the top flight (07-08 doesn't count) and I'm intrigued to see how we would do.

So a brave cup final defeat to Arsenal, Europa league qualification and a 2nd place in Championship and it would be the best season of my lifetime (that I can remember), no silverware but great memories.

Would prefer to win the cup and finish 2nd but that is not the premise of the thread.

I can understand both sides of the argument but for me, it's the FA Cup without question. Being compared to promotion from the second tier, there is really no contest.

As a child, I was truly obsessed with football. More than anything, I loved the FA Cup. Playing football in the back garden, the triumphant moment would always be scoring the winning goal in the cup final at Wembley. In the kitchen, washing the dishes, I would hoist the blender or kettle over my head and imagine I was dancing with the cup on the Wembley turf, commentary and all. I even remember sitting in my living room and getting a hat, a pen, paper and scissors and doing mock draws. The further we went, the more dramatic they became.

The FA Cup is the most historic and prestigious domestic cup competition in the world and the heart and soul of our national game. It's the competition every boy dreams of winning. Probably just as significant, it's also a route into Europe and the opportunity to have memorable European nights - the kind which our next generation of fans will watch highlights of on their 3D projector sunglasses and get all dreamy-eyed over. Granted our great European nights were by virtue of league success, but again we're speaking as a club in the second tier.

The elements of romance, fantasy and unpredictability make the FA Cup so special for me. There are so many variables involved that you just don't know where or how far it'll take you. You're at the mercy of two men poking and prodding around in a velvet bag. You can be drawn with Manchester United and be ceremoniously swept aside or matched up with Crawley Town and still be ceremoniously swept aside. :rolleyes:  Or conversely like now, you win a few ties and suddenly you can dare to dream.

I disagree that the FA Cup is easier to win than promotion. At the start of the league campaign, you have 46 games. You can have an off-day. You can have several. You can lose a game or two. You can experiment with a 9-0-1 formation. In the FA Cup, there is no such luxury. One loss and that's the end of the road for another year. As it's been mentioned, we haven't reached the end of the road for 69 years. We were promoted out of the Championship and playing Premier League football only eight years ago. For a club our size, promotion is the once-in-a-decade occurrence. Winning the FA Cup is the once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.

Of course, it's all relative. For a bigger and far more established club or a club higher up the ladder, the FA Cup probably holds less significance, especially in modern times where there have been attempts to devalue it. But for me, I believe a FA Cup win is a rarity, truly special and few things can compare, especially for a club of our size and the players a club of our calibre can attract.

I suppose another thing that Sky has sucked out of football is the 'event' that the FA Cup used to be.

TV coverage used to start at about 9am, on both BBC and ITV when I were a lad!

They'd show a celebrity game involving Rod Stewart and Daley Thompson and show the coaches arriving from helicopter cam!

I could make a list and people would know I was talking about FA Cup finals. I couldn't for promotion.

-Liverpool's suits

-Beasant's penalty save

-Ricky Villa's dribble

-Lawrie Sanchez

-Des Walker own goal

-Gazza's ligaments!

-Whiteside in extra time

-Mabbutt's own goal

-Houchennnnnnnnnnnnnn

-Ian Wright coming on

- Killer Kilcline

-Gerrard - take a bow son

I could go on and on, but I'm tired lol

If we won the FA Cup this year the Jim Smith team of Wanchope, Baiano, Eranio in the Premier League would live longer in the memory and mean so much more.

Give me European football by finishing in the top 5 of the Premier League, not what's become a Coffee Cup competition where the big clubs don't take seriously anymore.

I would take a 10-0 humiliating hammering from Reading on Saturday if it guaranteed us promotion be it by automatics or play offs.

I want to see Derby competing at the top, against the best clubs in the country week in week out, give me games against Palace and West Brom, clubs some mock but they are there, in the top league where I want to see us.

That feeling of seeing this Derby team on the iPro or Wembley pitch holding a "We are going up" banner would mean so much more to me than a cup.

Also those that want the cup win, how many of you take the piss out of Forest fans for talking about the European Cup which they won twice? What's the expiry date off how long we could talk about that day Derby won the cup without living in the past?

If we won the FA Cup this year the Jim Smith team of Wanchope, Baiano, Eranio in the Premier League would live longer in the memory and mean so much more.

Give me European football by finishing in the top 5 of the Premier League, not what's become a Coffee Cup competition where the big clubs don't take seriously anymore.

I would take a 10-0 humiliating hammering from Reading on Saturday if it guaranteed us promotion be it by automatics or play offs.

I want to see Derby competing at the top, against the best clubs in the country week in week out, give me games against Palace and West Brom, clubs some mock but they are there, in the top league where I want to see us.

That feeling of seeing this Derby team on the iPro or Wembley pitch holding a "We are going up" banner would mean so much more to me than a cup.

Also those that want the cup win, how many of you take the piss out of Forest fans for talking about the European Cup which they won twice? What's the expiry date off how long we could talk about that day Derby won the cup without living in the past?

Been there... done that.... the novelty has worn off. It's gone. It's been taken from us and ruined by the following season.

Do you give up hope of finding a long lasting relationship because one woman has cheated on you in the past?

Billy Davies and Paul "let's buy Robbie Savage" Jewell won't put me off women again.

Alimony might lol

Promotion for me I'm ecstatic about the thought of playing Arsenal,Man U and Chelsea etc.

PS You need promotion when you have to pay Alimony.

http://youtu.be/QlvuatQH12E

http://youtu.be/QsnB6NrSNMI

Archived