Derby County's January review + POTM

Ambitious

Derby County's Player of the Month for January  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As Daveo failed to keep the Syrians out of the system, I can't remember who came runner up in all the months so as of now that is completely irrelevant - I am purely going for winner only. However, for this month, it's probably best as I'm predicting the biggest one sided vote of the season so far. 

I think we can all agree that it's been our best month of the season to date despite losing to Forest. 

We opened up the month with a solid, if not slightly uncomfortable, victory over Southport. Followed that up with a fantastic away win against Ipswich. Surprisingly lost to the gumps on our own patch but won our next three games - Cardiff, Chesterfield and Blackburn - by two goals to nil. 

Six games played, nine goals scored, two conceded, five clean sheets. 

Happy voting. I'll finish the voting in a weeks time, so Monday the 9th. 

To recap our previous winners: 

August - Cyrus Christie

September - Will Hughes

October - Chris Martin

November - Johnny Russell

December - Johnny Russell 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes for me. I think someone posted on here that Saturday will be 50 days since we conceded with him on the pitch, not sure how many games that's been.

It speaks volumes how influential he is at both ends of the pitch and I'm actually pleased about how "poor" he plays for us. It will keep him out of the media, and the attention of others so we can keep him for longer. His stats in terms of assists and goals aren't great but he is vital to our side. I wonder how many goals he's influenced this season in one way or another, my guess is a lot.

He's really matured this year and not being a guaranteed starter until recently has done him the world of good and in my opinion this has been by far his best season in a DCFC shirt to date.

Unbelievable he's still about 3 months off turning 20, what a player this lad will turn out to be.

I don't think this one is even close to being in doubt.

I would honestly say that Hughes this month has produced performances a April/May George Thorne would be happy about. I think you could argue he's been our best player in every game. When he went off against Forest, it was startling to see how influential he actually is. 

The biggest achievement of this month is the sheer amount of clean sheets we have kept.

This is in no small part, down to Lee Grant. On numerous occasions he has pulled off saves that have won us valuable points, McClaren alluded to this point in his interview after the game yesterday.

So while Hughes has been incredible and benefited our overall play. I believe Grant has been more influential overall and has deserved my vote more! 

Lee Grant, despite the brilliance of Will and the emergence of Omar into a more rounded, combative player.

Grant's brilliant saves in recent matches have been the springboard to victories. The concentration levels and anticipation have been international class and show how important a great 'keeper is to the confidence and solidity of the defence.

Steele, Simmo and Mac all doing a great job in keeping players at a high performance level.

C O Y R

I'd like to vote but I'm having trouble breathing, what with my throat being blocked and full of all the criticism Mascarell is ramming back down it.

Anyway, two good games against an average and a poor side does not a entirely convince me, but he's had his most effective month so far in a Rams shirt.

That said, this month is easy anyway. Hughesy all the way. Fozzy second, lovely to see him back on form. Granty third.

Archived