How do you solve a problem like a Captaincy?

robglosta

I 100% agree with that... But I just don't understand some of the criticism of Keogh all the time... 95% of the time he makes the right decision. But gets absolutely pulverised for the 5%.

I thought Bucko were poor on Saturday. But I don't dare mention that a lot as I get pulverised because of his apparent "legend" status on various social media...

Opinions eh! Who want them :)

The problem being that the 5% of the time often costs us goals and is not the sort of thing you expect professional footballers to do. The 5% on Saturday included him (a) throwing himself to the floor for no reason before putting the ball in the path of Assombalonga 5 yards out and (b) backing off 20 yards before once again throwing himself to the floor and letting Osborn's strike go straight through him.

As you say its all about opinions, I thought Bucko was our best defender, won nearly all of his aerial challenges. The only things I would question about his performance were the manhandling at corners, which sooner or later is going to cost us a penalty, and his distribution which was way below his normal standard and just invited wave after wave of Forest attacks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem being that the 5% of the time often costs us goals and is not the sort of thing you expect professional footballers to do. The 5% on Saturday included him (a) throwing himself to the floor for no reason before putting the ball in the path of Assombalonga 5 yards out and (b) backing off 20 yards before once again throwing himself to the floor and letting Osborn's strike go straight through him.

As you say its all about opinions, I thought Bucko was our best defender, won nearly all of his aerial challenges. The only things I would question about his performance were the manhandling at corners, which sooner or later is going to cost us a penalty, and his distribution which was way below his normal standard and just invited wave after wave of Forest attacks.

Would say this needs just as much criticism as Keogh is getting. Really don't understand why Keogh gets more stick than Buxton when they were both pap (albeit for different reasons).

Really don't get the stick for Keogh

He cannot kick a ball properly, makes too many wrong decisions and is only getting in the team due to the lack of other options.

His "chest beating" captain role only goes so far, he just really isn't that great.

As someone has also said, Buxton was just as poor, and it was a total nailed on penalty he should have had awarded against him i dont see why he feels the need to grapple with everyone at every corner.

He cannot kick a ball properly, makes too many wrong decisions and is only getting in the team due to the lack of other options.

His "chest beating" captain role only goes so far, he just really isn't that great.

As someone has also said, Buxton was just as poor, and it was a total nailed on penalty he should have had awarded against him i dont see why he feels the need to grapple with everyone at every corner.

I love how people slate his technique. I have to admit, it is rather odd, but it's just as valid as everyone elses. He does thread some cute balls about (when it doesn't take him 5 minutes to adjust and think about it re: Chelsea goal).

I do wonder whether all the chopping and changing has had an effect on the confidence of key players.

Last season bucko was pushing his chest out and exuding confidence.

Remember barnsley away when he led the team out?

He had the former england manager picking him week in week out and the boost to his confidence since ipswich 4-4 was obvious.

This season - in and out - looks scared of making a mistake.

Similarly bryson.

Banging the goals in last year he seemed to have reached a new level.

Now he is no longer guaranteed a place and looks less enthralled with everything.

Finally, the whole team gave up their win bonusses to support the club.

Now they see best and bent and possibly warnock coming on big wages.

Has that had an effect on team spirit.

Would say this needs just as much criticism as Keogh is getting. Really don't understand why Keogh gets more stick than Buxton when they were both pap (albeit for different reasons).

Probably because Keogh's mistakes led to the goals which cost us the game. Had Buxton given away a penalty which had cost us the game I would be criticising that too.

I do wonder whether all the chopping and changing has had an effect on the confidence of key players.

Last season bucko was pushing his chest out and exuding confidence.

Remember barnsley away when he led the team out?

He had the former england manager picking him week in week out and the boost to his confidence since ipswich 4-4 was obvious.

This season - in and out - looks scared of making a mistake.

Similarly bryson.

Banging the goals in last year he seemed to have reached a new level.

Now he is no longer guaranteed a place and looks less enthralled with everything.

Finally, the whole team gave up their win bonusses to support the club.

Now they see best and bent and possibly warnock coming on big wages.

Has that had an effect on team spirit.

I'm pretty sure everyone's new contracts, especially Bryson's, are just as disgusting as what we are paying the new boys.

I love how people slate his technique. I have to admit, it is rather odd, but it's just as valid as everyone elses. He does thread some cute balls about (when it doesn't take him 5 minutes to adjust and think about it re: Chelsea goal).

Rather odd..? He kicks it like the 7 year old kid at school who was always the last to get picked......i cant believe he has made a living out of being a footballer and someone hasn't trained that out of him...

I think Bucko is getting less criticism for 2 reasons. 1. He is consistently better than Keogh. 2. When Bucko plays poorly, he gets dropped and replaced by Shotton. It is Keoghs exception from being dropped that gets people riled. Myself massively. 

I think the Captains job is to lead, and to be an inspiration to other players. Players like Terry and Gerrard have made horrible errors that have cost their clubs hugely, but they get back up and lead. They are superb captains that lift their teams when they are needed. 

Watch Keogh during the second half rewarm. He isn't the one at the front, he is the one lagging at the back when they are doing their sprint bursts. I have noticed this many times, and it may not appear relevant to most, but it isn't the actions of a leader. 

Watch where Gerrard, Terry, Rooney etc will be in their rewarms. At the front, leading by example. 

Buxton has been excellent for us this season , as well as last , but I agree he could cost us big time if he persists with the wrestling in the box , particularly at corners ., and an important element of his confidence comes from the fact that he has , as an ex ( not particularly rated when he came to us ) Non League player , achieved his status and place in the team 'against the odds' ..

Re - As someone has also said, Buxton was just as poor, and it was a total nailed on penalty he should have had awarded against him i dont see why he feels the need to grapple with everyone at every corner.

Not just Buxton doing the grappling, a number of others in the team are  doing the same. we seem to be the worst offenders in the league for this at the moment. It guarantees players being sent off .

Re - As someone has also said, Buxton was just as poor, and it was a total nailed on penalty he should have had awarded against him i dont see why he feels the need to grapple with everyone at every corner.

Not just Buxton doing the grappling, a number of others in the team are  doing the same. we seem to be the worst offenders in the league for this at the moment. It guarantees players being sent off .

I disagree, but it seemed to be bad vs. Forest, as they were doing much the same to us. There was one occasion where Grant was fouled, but nothing was given and Forest very nearly profited.

Buxton has been excellent for us this season , as well as last , but I agree he could cost us big time if he persists with the wrestling in the box , particularly at corners ., and an important element of his confidence comes from the fact that he has , as an ex ( not particularly rated when he came to us ) Non League player , achieved his status and place in the team 'against the odds' ..

No he hasn't, he's been average this season. Did you miss the Rugby tackle in the first half? should have been carded and a penalty awarded

People make way to much about who the captain is. How many of you when your playing football look to the captain for leadership? You always have people who have more leadership qualities but I'm pretty sure these lot have made it as pro footballers as they have a bit about them and don't look for someone else on the pitch to have drive and determination to win

Archived